Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: SRAM vs. Shimano  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
SRAM vs. Shimano
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »
Yes I know these are older models of Shimano and SRAM but I think it still interesting to watch this video.  The video immbeded code may have to be fixed first.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 08:03:42 PM by BeerCan »

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: SRAM vs. Shimano
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »
So I'm curious, what exactly is that supposed to prove? I've run the top of the line for both setups, and there isn't much difference (if any).
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 08:02:18 PM »
I ran into the video on a non-usa mtb site.  They used it to advertize the SRAM X.5 derailleur being better over the Shimano Deodore one. (their claim of course)  They were trying to sell SRAM components.  Is hard to tell from the video to see if the used the same trail, speed, gear, rider weight and any other factor that comes into play with chain slap.  But from just watching the video, you can see that the SRAM x.5 derailleur seats a bit more paralell to the bike's rear chainstay then Shimano. Based on the red and blue lines they showed over the video, they were trying to prove that the Shimano derailleur was moving up and down more and causing more chain slap then the SRAM. 

Make your own judgement, I don't claim preference on SRAM over Shimano.  I've only had one read MTB bike and did go from Shimano deodore drive train to SRAM X.9/x990 cassette.  Someone was selling theirs and I was at the right place to get them.  I've never given XT or XTR a try but I am sure I would be as happy with them.  XT is ligther or just as light as X9 and XTR vs X0 are very similar too.

Anyways, just never seen the derailleurs in action as I saw them on this video.  I thought it would be some intestest to some of you to see it too.  I don't mean to start a WAR  between the two.  :-)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 08:05:00 PM by MrSandPine »

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 10:52:45 PM »
AFAIK- SRAM doesn't make a Dual-Control system. That alone makes me a Shimano fan. I thought I would hate the Dual-Control setup, until I actually got to use one. Now I love it!
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:45:56 PM »
I am with risky. I prefer the shifters on my XTR verses the XO. I beleive that the performance is almost exactly the same.

Advertisement: