SWAMP Community Forums
June 09, 2008, 07:13:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Squiggy Classic 6 Hour Mountain Bike Race (Mar 8, 2008), 2008 Results  here. How did you do?

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions from a beginner...  (Read 1660 times)
Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« on: June 24, 2007, 09:44:25 AM »

Hi folks... Total newbie here with a couple general questions before I venture out on the trails for the first time... First off, is there a general 'right' and 'wrong' direction to travel on the trails?  Or is it two-way traffic?  Also, are there any sections of the trails that would be best for me to begin on?  I'm wanting to build up slow and would love to join the Tuesday night rides, however I have softball league on Tuesday nights so I won't be able to make it.  My plan right now is to just get some trail riding experience by taking the  short section of the main trail that cuts through the paved loop and then expand from there as I get more comfortable.  Anyways, just wanted some feedback before I head out, would hate to do something stupid and cause problems out there...

Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com
benjibbad
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:51:41 AM »

most trails are 2 way traffic.  Unless you are riding black diamond trails [very advanced] but those should have a sign noting one way traffic and exits.  Morris Bridge/Trout creek is a great place to start riding.  They have plenty of trails for you to start out on and expand as you become a better rider.  If you don't feel comfortable riding just walk the bike!  I can't tell you how many times I walked Big Drop before I got the gonads to ride it.  Oh yeah that beginners riding course with the club is great!  I took it and I have become a better rider for it.  I hope this helps
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:19:18 PM by Kevan » Logged

Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://bikesbeerandball.blogspot.com/
Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:06:52 PM »

benjibbad,

Thanks for the reply... I figured they were mostly 2-way but I wanted to make sure... I'm familiar with some of the trails around Trout Creek simply because I've hiked a few of them with my camera gear.  I would like to take the beginner course with the club, however the next one is this coming weekend (July 1) and that's the day I move into my new house... So no riding for me that day.

SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 05:32:05 PM »

Jersh,
At this time, ALL WTA trail are 2-way.  In a about a month, the entrance at hole-in-the-fence (Morris Bridge) by marker 4, will be one way.  One way in on the right using the old main trail.  If you do the loop clockwise, then there will be a one way out of there using the new trail we still cutting.

I also recommand the intro to MTB class.  There will be one next Sunday there so you need to sign up now.  It won't surprise me if is already full but definetely attend it next month.  It is only given the first Sunday of every month from the Trout Creek entrance.

If you want venture on your own, I recommand starting out hole in the fence.  For beginners, I recommend you stay on the main trail.  When you get to the pits, you can go right and do the misery trail.  it is very smooth.  If you stay on main, past the pits, you will see the Grampa trail.  Grampa has some small roots and is another easy beginners trail.  If you do Misery, it joins main back where Indian start.  Stay away from Indian and Gator bait until you feel confortable with the roots.  Besides the main, you can do all of Grampa from one end to another.

On the MB side, the hardest trail is HartBreak ridge.  At the end of hartbreak ridge there is a double track road that goes east to the look out point.  Bring your camaera, and visit that overlook.  You can thank me later!!!

When you get to the Morris Bridge boat ramp park, you will have done about 6-8 miles.  You can then deside to return to hole in the fence for a 12-16 mile ride.  that will be great for your first ride.  If you just stay on the main trail, you can venture over to Morris Bridge road then to the north on Flatwoods. Take Eubanks to the Y on the paved loop.  The trail pickups again on the left side of the paved loop.  If you only do the main trail all the way around it is about 14-15 miles.  But if you only riding 8-10 mph and take several breaks, you are going ot need at least 2.5/3 hrs. 

Good luck and let us know if how you find your first ride.  Specially your shootings out there. 

Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 09:17:02 PM »

Sandpine,

Thanks for the excellent suggestions... I would love to attend the intro class this coming weekend, however I already have a full day planned on Sunday (we have movers coming that day to move our furniture into our new house!).  So unfortunately I won't be able to make it.  I took a look at the calendar and it looks like the next course is in October...

Also, just to clearify the upcoming changes... In a month after the new trail is complete at hole-in-the-fence, the loop will still be 2-way, except for the one-way ins and outs at hole-in-the-fence? 

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 09:39:49 PM »

Yes Josh, that is true the only change will be the entry and the exit. It is cool that you can't get to the class for a few months. Come on out and ride with us, I am sure that you will pick up some tips from any of the people in the club. It is an unusually friendly bunch and they are all happy to help.

I still recommend the class, it will broaden your knowledge even more.

Gregg

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 10:25:50 PM »

Gregg, thanks for the reply.  I will try to get out and ride with club members at some point in the near future.  I still need to put in some saddle time on the paved loop just to build up some stamina before I hit the trails.  I reckon I'm not a complete beginner, in college I did some (not a lot) of trail riding in the Ozark hills of southwest Missouri, so I should pick up pretty quick hopefully.  Also will be very busy with the new house for a while... I definately plan on attending the course on October 1st. 

Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »

Well this morning I went for my first full loop ride around the main trail.  It took me 1:16 to go 14.7 miles with an average of 11.2 mph.  It was my first time riding the section from hole in the fence up to the Y so hopefully as I get more familiar with these trails I can take it up a notch or two.  I'm excited, my new clipless pedals should be delivered today and my new shoes are waiting for me at my LBS...

Also, to the lady that I almost colided with on the Main trail near Heartbreak Ridge, nice work avoiding a colision... We were both going at a pretty good pace and came around a blind corner that was very smooth so neither of us heard the other coming... Simultaneous expletives were used by both of us but we both swerved and made it through clean. 

Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 01:18:51 PM »

Glad you had fun Josh, did you ride Heartbreak ridge??

Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 07:38:32 AM »

Gregg, no I didn't make it out onto Heartbreak Ridge, I just stayed on the main trail... I'm planning to ride Wednesday or Thursday evening and will explore more of the trails.

Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »

Send me a PM and let me know when you are going to ride out there.

scooter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 10:43:04 AM »

Hey Jersh, with the time you posted for your first time around I would say your conditionong is already pretty good. Keep up the good work and hope to see you out there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: