Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: fellow mountain biker passes away on trail.  (Read 3093 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
fellow mountain biker passes away on trail.
« on: June 24, 2007, 06:55:28 PM »
 If you go to the ridgerider forum you can read the story. :(  this leeds me to a question. In the past few years I have now heard of three heart attacks taking our brothers on the trail. I remember Skip Murphy, I cant recall the mans name, but, A man had an attack at morris bridge last year and now this guy! What is going on. Are we all at a fairly reasonable amount of risk when we push ourselves like we do in our sport? Just a thought. :( :(

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: fellow mountain biker passes away on trail.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 09:04:05 PM »
From the Ridge Rider's Forum at http://www.phpbb88.com/ridgeriders/viewtopic.php?t=34&mforum=ridgeriders Post by "Ali" of the Ridge Riders...

In the words of Kevin Gray:

It my deepest regret to inform the mountain biking community of the loss of a local rider, cycling ally, my BEST friend and riding partner almost every weekend .......Leon "Lee" Szczepanski.

Lee passed the morning of June 8, 2007, as he was riding his Black Santa Cruz Blur on the Bent Creek Trails in Pisgah, North Carolina. He evidently suffered a massive heart attack while riding alone between the lead and sweep groups. Lee was given CPR for 45 minutes by riders on the trip before the Paramedics were able to get to him. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

Lee is survived by his fiancée Kathy, and his Parents and Sister from Arizona.
Lee was a Lieutenant with the Miami-Dade public School Police and ran their Bike Patrol for several years. Lee just completed the National Mountain Bike Patrol and CPR/First Aid training with me and others just 2 weeks ago. Patrol members on the trip were the ones working to save Lee's life so diligently. I thank you for your tireless efforts as Lee would have done the same. This is what it's all about. I am sorry I was not there riding with him.

A group picnic and ride at Oleta River State Park is on for Sunday June 24, 2007 in memory of Lee.

All of you are invited so let's ALL plan on being there and ride for LEE, celebrate his life, and mourn his loss. I am at this time going to ask everyone to bring beverages and a covered dish for this party in his honor. Lee often rode Oleta, Markham, Amelia (when I forced him) and loved riding at Quiet Waters when the trails were up and he was looking forward to the rebuilding of the NEW trails soon. Unfortunately he will not ride them with us.

This is to CELEBRATE the life that LEE shared with all of us........so lets RIDE in honor and with the Spirit of Lee Szczepanski

This for the sport that we love................Ride In Peace Lee!

And Dave Williams wrote:
FAREWELL TO LEE
Lee was doing what he loved, riding his bike, climbing the trail to Greens Lick, his favorite trail in the Bent Creek trail system in Asheville NC. The day was beautiful, 75 degrees with a nice breeze blowing through the sycamore trees. Greens Lick is the newest trail in the system and Lee loved its flow and speed.

Close to the trail head he must have realized something was wrong. He laid his bike down off the trail and sat next to his Santa Cruz and there under the sycamore trees at 10:44 Friday June 8th, 2007 Lee pedaled off into endless epic single track with God at his side.

We loved Lee and will miss him but know that he is always waiting for us at the crest of the next hill. Ride on Lee.

As you know by now, Lee Szczepanski, intrepid mountain biker, IMBA National Mountain Bike Patroller, Dade county police lieutenant, and devoted (soon to be) husband of Kathy, passed away Friday June 8th while riding in North Carolina.

Whether you knew Lee or not, as a fellow member of the mountain bike community please make every effort to attend his service and memorial ride this week. Do it for Lee, for Lee's family, and do it for your mountain bike community that Lee was part of.

We invite you to come celebrate Lee's life.

Sunday June 24th - 9am - All day - Memorial ride and BBQ at Oleta River State Park. Park at lot #1 and walk over to the White Ibis Pavilion.

Ride on...

Regards,
The Club Mud Forum
http://one2ride.org/bulletin/index.php

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
That's very sad news. I wish his family well. I guess any seemingly healthy person could have an undetected condition. So yeah, it's scary. It sounds as if he was doing what he loved but it's still tragic non the less.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:35:19 PM »
I think that it reminds us that life is not indefinite. You need to make sure that you get the most out of life. Touch as many people in a positive manner as you can, and enjoy every experience. It is very sad.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 10:09:34 PM »
Reminds me of a good friend of mine Eric Bergeron.  We were playing hockey when he left the ice about 5 minutes before the game ended.  In the locker room he said he did not feel well and was going home.  That was very unlike Eric as he liked to stay and partake in the after game activities.  He drove about 1/4 of a mile got out of his car and dropped dead in a gas station parking lot.  He was 36.

Bottom line is -- Take care of yourself, eat right, get checkups and live life to the fullest (being reasonable).  Hug your kids if you got them.  Eric left 2.  I miss my friend.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 11:24:52 PM »
That's one hell of a way to go out. While I didn't know him, I would like to give my best wishes to all that knew him.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline cole

• Land Manager
  • First Bike
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 08:04:13 AM »
We are many families.  It hurts when you lose a member of a community.  When that member leaves on the trails it is just that much more tragic.  Riding, training, ego and much more make us forget what makes us go,
the heart.  If you are training the heart, regardless what condition of your heart, you would probably ride differently.  Do not be fooled.  Stressing the heart is stressing the heart.

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 08:36:47 AM »
God bless him and his family.
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Advertisement: