Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Deer flies!  (Read 3371 times)

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
Deer flies!
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »
These things are pure EVIL!!  I used to think that fire ants were nature's big screw-up, but now, I've reconsidered.  For the past 2 months, they've been tearing me up.  From fishing in Land O Lakes to riding at Wilderness Parks, they're finding me.  Do bug sprays work, I've read on the internet no.  Luckily they're slow and are easily destroyed but normally only after the damage is done.  Bastards!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Deer flies!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 10:10:45 AM »
they really svck - i got stung by a yellow jacket yesterday on my road ride...it hurt a bit but i am not allergic to them so it wasnt any big deal - i use bug spray when i ride in the woods - havent been bitten by one of those flies yet...maybe i am just lucky - i cant attribute it to the spray for sure.

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 10:15:26 AM »
I'm not sure if bug sprays deter deer flies or not... I will say that I haven't had a big problem with them.  I spend a lot of time out in the sticks with my photography and I use Cutter Advanced Sport bug spray... It's active ingredient is picaridin.  I think it works just as well as DEET but others have reported that it doesn't work very well.  I use the picaridin sprays simply because it is not harmful to plastics, whereas DEET is rather corrosive and can damage the plastics on my camera gear.
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:06:08 AM »
Sorry Perchman, but you just have that kind of blood that they love. Oddly enough I haven't had a problem with bug bites since I took a friends advice and started eating more garlic. Weird yes, but the one bug bite on my butt says it's working.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline cole

• Land Manager
  • First Bike
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 07:12:22 AM »
Deer Flies,
or should that be deer riders,
These flies recycle on an aquatic cycle.  The little rain we got is the tip of the iceberg.  If we get more rain look out.  It really is not that bad now.  The one good thing about them is they hang around long enough to kill them with a direct swap!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 08:56:19 AM »
Is there a difference between Deer Flies and Horse Flies?  A couple of weeks ago I thought the "horse flies" were out in masses.  They are a lot bigger then a normal household fly.  But look very similar.  They can byte and it feels like a mosquito.  They are slow and you can easily kill them.  But last night at Flatwoods, the very tiny kind were out in masses.  Are those the "deer flies"?  They are real small like a fire ant size but of course they are flies and have wings.  They also byte and are really anonying since they are always getting on your eyes.

I can tell you the fleet did not help with the bigger "horse" flies at boyette.  I didn't have fleet on last night so I was attacked.  I think those small flies will not touch you if you have off on.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:15:35 AM »
Those little ones are gnats.  They are very annoying and they travel in clouds.  The deer flies are green or yellow in color and the bite hurts.  Horse flies are big and black.  Their bite hurts worse than the deer fly.  Just a little entomology lesson. ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 09:47:51 AM »
Yeah it's the yellow-orange ones.  The effects of the bite seem to linger much longer on me for some reason.  The bite turns purple and itches like a mutha for at least a week.  Cortizone helps though.  I'll try bug spray.  Sandpine, if you're talking about no-see-ums, that's a whole different story but they're normally around salt water marsh areas.  Another question, being that these things are called "deer flies", any possible links to lime disease or is that just ticks?  Or am I completely misinformed?

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 10:07:20 AM »
Never heard of deer flies being linked to lime disease.  I think you were correct about the ticks.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 10:40:44 AM »
From webmd.com
"There is no convincing evidence that Lyme disease can be spread to humans by insects such as mosquitoes, flies, or fleas."
http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/Lyme-Disease-Cause
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »
Look at them as an incentive to ride faster. ;)

I've found that they're a late-spring thing around here, and I've had good luck with DEET. Spray your clothes too, otherwise they'll land on your shorts and bite right through them. :o

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »
Beercan, actually WebMD, a close friend and his wife are currently suffering from the long term effects of lyme disease they caught from ticks while backpacking and camping, where I forget.  Their treating physician, and they, are certain it's from ticks that they were bitten by during that trip over 3 years ago, can't trace it to anywhere else.  I've always heard that ticks can carry the disease, but I've also always heard that shaving your body can save you time through reduced wind resistance.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »
I've also always heard that shaving your body can save you time through reduced wind resistance.

more so if you use a titanium blade

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 02:21:21 PM »
Beercan, actually WebMD, a close friend and his wife are currently suffering from the long term effects of lyme disease they caught from ticks while backpacking and camping, where I forget.  Their treating physician, and they, are certain it's from ticks that they were bitten by during that trip over 3 years ago, can't trace it to anywhere else.  I've always heard that ticks can carry the disease, but I've also always heard that shaving your body can save you time through reduced wind resistance.

My post said nothing about ticks :)   I was answering the speculation that lyme disease could be transfered by flies.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
more so if you use a titanium blade
[/quote]

With a carbon fiber handle

Advertisement: