Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Marriage and Mountain Bikes  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Marriage and Mountain Bikes
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:31:03 AM »
I've been married for almost 4 years and for the time being I get all the free time I want on the weekends.  My wife has been working alot so that gives me all the time I want to ride.  The good thing is that she knows how much I enjoy this stuff, so she doesn't say anything about it.  I'll wait and see what happens when she isn't working so much anymore.  I might have to send her up to her parents so I can still ride.  Ha!! ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:34:58 AM »
the fact i keep getting in better shape isnt hurting the cause

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »
I think I'm in better shape than before I got married.  Taking on cycling shure does make you do a lifestyle change.  I'm eating much better than I used to.  Much more aware about maintaining my weight.  Just wish I could get my wife into doing it.  She's much happier on the couch with our dogs.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:20:17 AM »
Three years ago my wife told me that I needed a hobby. I think that was code for "you are getting kinda fat". When I bought my first bike a little over two years ago from Walmart, she about flipped over the 129.00 that I spent.
She was sure that I wouldn't use it, I was determined to show her. In the process I have lost fifty pounds and still counting. She doesn't complain much about the all of the money I have spent now.

Talking about what else keeps you busy, When I am not biking or on this forum, or working I spend quality time with my wife and kids. The more satisfied they are that I am paying attention to them, the more I can ride. The more I ride, the more energy I have to spend with them. It is a circle. Pretty cool really. ;D

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 12:16:35 PM »
That's awesome that you lost 50 pounds!!  Riding sure does make the pounds melt away.  I've lost about 25 since I started and pretty happy with that.  Now I just need to keep improving the motor.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:34:17 PM »
I'm kinda lucky, my wife is used to me spending absurd amounts of money on things she doesn't understand. I did the car thing for a long time, several cars that I modified ending with my current car. 2004 Cobra Mustang, Kenne Bell supercharged, 600+hp street machine. The best part is, she likes to drive it also! Then I got into MTB'ing again after not riding for years. Now I spend absurd amounts of money on bikes! ;D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
I was spending a little money doing some stuff to my truck before I got into MTBing.  My wife had a fit when I spent money on the truck.  Now that I have moved my spending over to the bike, it seems to be OK.  I guess she sees how much fun and exercise I get out of it.  But, she really has no idea how much I have spent.  Kinda keep that under wraps because she would have another fit. :-X

Offline cparider

• First Bike
Re: Marriage and Mountain Bikes
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 05:58:26 PM »
With a little one on the way I think my riding time will be limtied. However, as long as I spend time with my wife and soon to be family she will let me ride. Once my previous riding buddy (before Factore) Bill had a child I new our MTB trips would be limited so I spent some $$$ on a road bike. I love to MTB however due to long hours on the job a good part of the year and wanting to keep my wife happy the road bike has come in handy for quick cardio and excerise (I have lost 40 lbs), since I can ride from the house and not travel an hour to and from Boyette or Alafia it helps. PS - My wife also questioned my $129 walmart bike. I really don't tell her how much I spend any more.   

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 06:57:32 PM »
Its funny, after reading these posts.. I've realized how much more I pay attention to what I eat as well.  Prior to riding I would just hang out with the kids and eat "snacks" (they are 2 and 6).  Now I spend time riding and cleaning my bike and lots of time in the forum.  My wife is actually happy about it - although she says don't get to much more fit then her  ;) In all fairness, it's great to have a spouse who understands how much I love to ride the trails.. she's even looking into riding.
Unyielding Single Track is your Friend

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 08:56:43 PM »
I'd have to say my wife is eerily supportive of my hobbies and spending habits.  Over the course of our 5-month marriage, I've already purchased a project Mustang (1984 ex-FHP) and last month she actually went shopping with me when I purchased the new MTB.  She is good with whatever I want to do, so long as I can still pay my portion of the bills and not hurt myself severely and/or permanently.

Advertisement: