Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Sun Valley  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
Sun Valley
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:57:34 PM »
Just a thought, how many people would be interested in a Sun Valley trip like late next spring.  I looked through the pics from the last trip and the XC trails look really cool, plus there are some killer DH runs that would be really fun to do.

I can't say I'd be able to go at this point, but I'm curious if anyone would want to go if we tried to plan something even as a small group.
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Sun Valley
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:31:28 PM »
Just a thought, how many people would be interested in a Sun Valley trip like late next spring.  I looked through the pics from the last trip and the XC trails look really cool, plus there are some killer DH runs that would be really fun to do.

I can't say I'd be able to go at this point, but I'm curious if anyone would want to go if we tried to plan something even as a small group.

Check the weather, because if I remember right they have a very short riding season.  Spring is still like winter out there.  Some of the most fun, awesome trails I have ridden are in the area though.  If you get the chance to go when the weather is sweet do it!

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 09:21:46 PM »
Garry, have you been out to Moab?  If so, how does it compare?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:04:29 PM »
Been to Moab, or through it.  The trails are good, but I must say I loved it out in Sun Valley!  Some awesome trails that are ride all day type; or at least you want to.  Some folks feel the elevation gets to them.  I just flat out loved it!

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »
Did you do any of the lift accessed downhills?  If so, how were they.

In case it hasn't been obvious I've been thinking seriously about going to either moab or sun valley.

What I really want are 1) some great mountainous XC trails and 2) some long, epic, high adrenaline downhills (long, high spead, some short - no more that 2.5 foot - drop offs - or other opportunity to get some air - not overly huge, but a decent amount).  Great scenery is also a given, though I haven't found many mountain wilderness ares that weren't scenic.

Whistler is pretty fickle with weather, and doesn't appear to have the balance of downhills and XC that I would like.  This is why I started looking at moab (plus it's like a mountain biking mecca), but sun valley looks really cool too - I'm torn, and I can find way more info on Moab, so I'm eager to here as much as I can from anyone who has been to Sun Valley

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
I enjoyed Sun Valley more than Moab. I was only in Sun Valley a short time and only had time for a real quick ride. I spent several days in Moab though. I think my expectations for Moab were too high. Although I enjoyed it, I felt a bit disappointed. I went the wrong time of year for one. It was 112. It also lacked the smooth flowing singletrack that I love so much. That being said it was still a cool place and a MTB mecca. But Colorado has the type of riding I like best. Dry, yet lush trails that seem to go on forever.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 07:24:27 PM »
I've been looking at the XC riding in Whistler and may rethink my earlier presuppositions.... it looks like they have some great challenging XC trails out there, including an IMBA epic - Comfortably Numb..... well, I've got time to think about it yet.  I'm not planning on a long trip for at least several months from now.

For anyone who is curious, check out this link.  There is even a short video.
http://www.imba.com/epics/comfortably_numb.html

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 08:28:31 PM »
Take a look at what Mammoth Mountain has to offer.  I've been there 5 times and will be going there for a short weekend between business trips later this year and each time I've had a better time than the last.  The park really has it all from super-challenging NORBA quality downhill runs to epic, gravity-assisted xc trails.  The park has close to 100 miles of trail which is 90%+ lift-serviced and the weather is always nice.  The longest run is about 15 miles and 3k vertical feet.  There is also an amazing trail just outside of town called Lower Rock Creek which is a shuttleable downhill singletrack that is 7 miles of pure heaven.

www.mammothmountain.com

Some pictures from my last trip:

My friend coming down a trail called Skid Marks:

Another friend getting some air at a log jump at the beginning of Shotgun

Some fun in the dirt jump park at the main lodge (this year the easy line is all tables):

Coming down the Kamikaze:

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
That terrain looks more like you are riding on the moon. 8)

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 08:33:17 AM »
That terrain looks more like you are riding on the moon. 8)

The upper 1000 feet or so is like the moon as it is above the tree line and the upper trails are mostly a grey-ish pumice.  As you descend further it gets quite wooded and much warmer - it can be 40 degrees at the top of the mountain and 75 at the bottom.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: