Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: long ride recovery  (Read 4079 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
long ride recovery
« on: July 02, 2007, 09:46:10 AM »
what are you guys/gals doing/drinking/eating after the really long rides to help recover and to make sure you get the most out of what you just put your body through?

after doing 95 miles on saturday - i was totally bonked on sunday - i am taking today off.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: long ride recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »
It has been very hot this past 2-3 days.  I cramped on Saturday at mile 20 on my 2nd century attempt.  I had to stop at mile 65 because of heat exhaustion.  Slow pedaled back to truck to finished at 73 miles after 30 minute break in the shade. 

In the summer, I have noticed I need to take more endurolites and more often.  So I need to pick some of those pills up.  The gel and water/gatoraid mix I was taking in was not enough Saturday.  Sunday, I went back to using Cytomax along with the gatoraid and the gels.  It was a slower and shorter ride but I felt very strong.  It also helped that I had a large Spagetti dinner the night before.

After long rides I had been using Cytomax recovery but its a bit pricey.  I had switched to PowerBar Recovery at about $10 less per big jar.  When I don't use recovery drink after long rides (35+ off road) (50+ road), I usually hurt a lot the next day if I ride.  When I take recovery, I am ready to go again the next day.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 10:04:23 AM »
thank you - i will try some of that

i forgot that back in the track/cross country days we used to carbo load the night before - i have been so concious of trying to lose weight i forgot about that important part of the equation.  plus, i love spaghetti.

i noticed that with the heat really high it seemed that my heart rate was a bit higher than normal too

again thank you for the information

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:18:52 AM »
I was riding solo Saturday and is very hard to call it quits when you set you mind on something.  I tried talking myself out of quiting Saturday.  The sings that made me quit were rapid hart rate then normal and it wouldn't go down after long stretches of slow pedal and deep breaths.  It wanted to stay up higher (about 10-20 bps) then normal.  My sweat was less even though I was taking in more water.  I started getting a headache even though my helmet strap was loose. 

Loading up on carbo the night before or several hours before you ride helps tremendously.  A 90+ mile ride will burn over 4000 calories easily.  So if you are dieting you are probably taking in 2K-3K cal/day minus what your body uses in a reg day.  So a ride like that will go through a full day's worth of store energy and then some.  Before it can burn the long store (fat) energy, the muscles need more electrolytes to properly use that energy.  If it can't then you will bonk quicker. 

You also have to feed your body some food as you are riding.  You said you took a break in between your rides to eat.  If that was just one meal for the entire day.  It may not have finished digesting beofre your second half of the ride.  Feeding smaller amounts with easier food for your body to digest during your rides would have been better.  Not just the cal from sport drinks and gels. 

I am not diet/nutrition expert.  Just speaking from my own experiences and tips I got from others.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 10:33:05 AM »
The sings that made me quit were rapid hart rate then normal and it wouldn't go down after long stretches of slow pedal and deep breaths.  It wanted to stay up higher (about 10-20 bps) then normal. 

That is exactly what mine was doing - i sat at a rest area in the shade and poured cold water over my head and just set there for 15 minutes or so and my heart rate stayed considerably higher than normal.

nature actually helped me out a bit.  i got a light mist of rain for about the next 20 miles that kept me cool.  the last 12 miles after that it got hot again and i struggled back to the parking lot.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
chocolate milk. I have a very hard time eating early in the morning, and I tried all kinds of things. It seemed I would always cramp after about 18-20 miles of hard MTB riding. So tried drinking chocolate milk on the ride down to Alafia or where ever I was riding, and I try to eat a cereal bar. But now I don't cramp and can ride alot stronger/longer than when I don't. I carry a cooler in the back of the truck, drink 1/2 pint before and save the other 1/2 for after. It helps for the next day, and for me it helps more than Endurox R4 did.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
i have been doing chocolate milk after - i was wondering if there was something in addition to that for getting rid of all the dangerous free radicals that are in your system after working your body like that.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 01:27:28 PM »
another part of recovery - rest

how much is needed after one of these LSD rides?  LSD=long slow distance not hitting anaerobic

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 04:37:20 PM »
Pizza, wings and beer - lots of beer - work for me. ;D

There's a lot of variables that could have affected your weekend. For example, did you go home and mow the lawn after your almost-century? I don't know how accustomed you are to putting in big hours on the weekend, but if you're not used to it a 5-hour ride will leave you feeling quite wasted for a few days.

I just finished a pretty intensive 3-week cycle where I've been putting in 8-9 hours on the weekends. Each weekend has left me a bit more tired. This past Saturday I rode Reddick for 5 hours and planned to ride 4 hours in the hills of San Ann Sunday. To make a long story short, I was fried from Saturday's effort and the cumulative effect of the previous 3 weeks, and ended up doing a long, easy, flat ride.

I pretty much ate non-stop between stepping off the bike Saturday and getting back on it Sunday, but the problem was cumulative fatigue. If I were to try that weekend with a bit more rest leading into it (and I've done it plenty of times) I would've had a much better day Sunday.

Sorry to ramble, but I wanted to give an example of how many variables can come into the recovery equation.

As far as what I eat:
- Sugar bomb right after the ride (recovery drink, chocolate milk or Pepsi)
- Turkey sandwich and some fruit shortly after
- Continue grazing. Get mostly carbs but make sure you get some protein too. Eat good quality foods (i.e. non-processed) and the fat will take care of itself.

It was hotter than Hades this weekend. Talk about something that can crush your performance. There were many times yesterday where I felt like my head was gonna explode from the heat.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 04:42:44 PM »
Harvey - glad you are on this board - you always have some extremely helpful information

I have D.O.M.S. pretty bad today so i might do nothing today and tomorrow or an active recovery

"Rather than take the day off after a hard effort, take an easy ride, called "active recovery". Use the opportunity to cycle with family and friends who are normally too slow for you. A day off training refreshes your body. Always have at least one day off per week. "

again thank you for the input

i need to start thinking more about what i put in my body as far as nutrition goes

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »
"Recover as hard as you train"

Here's a couple of supplements:
- Bromelain: Digestive enzyme that also has great anti-inflammatory properties
- L Glutamine: Well-known in athletic circles for it's muscle regenerative capabilities. Get in powder form and take 1-2 grams per day. Mix it up in OJ or a smoothie.

I use both of these daily. I'll double up on it on really hard days.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 06:12:34 PM »
Great information Harvey, Thanks!

I am pretty fried too today. I rode 172 miles between both bikes over the past seven days.

I know that I didn't eat enough after my ride yesterday, while I have been eating really well recently, I have been afraid to overeat.

This information really helps. Now can you help me out with my ass. It really hurts! ;D

Seriously it hurts. I am going to adjust the seat on the road bike tonight. Any opinion on if it is ok to angle it down slightly? Anyone?

Gregg

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
I'm not sure about the road bike saddle but I do know that mine hurts me bad.  I am still waiting on the new seat, should be here tomorrrow before the ride.  Have you looked the saddle with the cut outs or down angled noses??
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 07:19:28 PM »
Totals Rides 16
Average Speed (mph) 16.91
Average Cadence (rpm) 66
Distance (miles)  569.50               
Ride Time (hh:mm:ss)   33:23:57         
Effort Temp (F)   Min: 79  Avg: 89 Max: 106

Tired  ???????????????  i dont want to hear tired.. do like Harvey said.. gotta eat.. i have been eating like a horse this past month.. now i know why... almost 600 miles..

-bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 07:47:31 PM »
23 rides  544.9 miles - try that with an extra 40 pounds around your waste....then factor in the fact i have been riding less than a year - yes I AM TIRED....haha

i think the biggest thing i have been doing is not eating enough trying to lose weight...but it gets to the point lately with the long rides that i feel i dont have enough fuel in the tank - i am going to eat more and let the weight loss come a little slower which in turn is probably more healthy anyway.

i am all good now - i took a night off and ate some pizza - back in the saddle again tommorrow

Advertisement: