Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New to riding...  (Read 2883 times)

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
New to riding...
« on: July 03, 2007, 02:19:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've been encouraged by a few friends and have finally decided to wet my feet and start riding.  I'm on a low budget, so I will be using a Mongoose MGX-DXR that was given to me a few days ago.  It's a few years old, but only ridden a few times.  My brother had it sitting in his shed.

I'm wondering if you could help advise me on where I should start once I get the bike up and running?  I would prefer to ride trails, however should I start on the road/paved trails?

I ride spinning class at my gym a few times per week, however don't feel I am in excelletn shape by any means.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated! 

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: New to riding...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 02:24:14 PM »
morris bridge/flatwoods is a great place to start - check out the calander and see when the next clubride is - actually there might be one tonight

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 02:28:01 PM »
Thanks!  I'll look into the calendar.  I have my kids this week so I doubt I can make tonight.  However I will lookout for a weekend ride!

Any other advice on what I should look for or prepare for when getting started?  Any Must have equipment?  Anything to make life easier?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 02:33:20 PM »
helmet and a hydration pack

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »
Thanks.  I have both actually!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »
Come join us Sharky! Welcome

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 02:54:30 PM »
Hi Gregg,

I hope to!
Do you guys think the bike will work OK for starters?  I don't know much about bikes.  I'm told Mongoose is still considered very entry level.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:11:39 PM »
Welcome sharky.  You picked a good group of riders for advice.  I've been riding for almost 6 months so that still makes me some what of a newb.  These guys have really helped me along for the short time I've been riding.  This forum is a great place to get help or find people to ride with.  Definitely come out to a club ride or post on the forum when you'd like to ride and where and people will show.  You're bike should do good for you now.  When your skills improve, you will get what the rest of us nuts get, upgrade-itis.  Have fun! ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:15:55 PM »
Hi Gregg,

I hope to!
Do you guys think the bike will work OK for starters?  I don't know much about bikes.  I'm told Mongoose is still considered very entry level.
Ride what you have and have fun.  If you decide to upgrade later great, if not fine.  Bottom line is to ride and have fun (and don't get bike envy :) ).
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 03:28:32 PM »
Welcome sharky.  You picked a good group of riders for advice.  I've been riding for almost 6 months so that still makes me some what of a newb.  These guys have really helped me along for the short time I've been riding.  This forum is a great place to get help or find people to ride with.  Definitely come out to a club ride or post on the forum when you'd like to ride and where and people will show.  You're bike should do good for you now.  When your skills improve, you will get what the rest of us nuts get, upgrade-itis.  Have fun! ;D

That's why I'm here.  I'm big on communities and find that it's always better to learn when surrounded by those who have already been where I want to go!  I'm going through a divorce now, so I need a different hobby to focus my attention and energy.  Mountain Biking seems like the perfect outlet for me!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 04:24:44 PM »
I agree with Beercan. If you have just started you definitely don't want to spend a fortune, until you are sure it is for you. I started on a mongoose from walmart too. Have fun but, make sure it doesn't have a kickstand. If it does take it off, you don't want it to come down while you are riding.

Offline CHEF

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 05:19:05 PM »
Welcome Sharky

Get a good set of full finger biking gloves,helmet,riding shorts and shirt.Camelbak to hold water, 2 tubes,pump,multi tool and a tire lever.Does your bike have a quick release on the rims or do you need a wrench?Keep that in mind when you pack your bag.

I like the baggy shorts with a lycra and chamois pad inside.The gloves with the jell in the palms and a riding shirt that helps remove the moisture from your skin.For me one of the things that bothers me is a shirt that sticks to your body thats all wet and doesnt dry fast.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:29:23 PM by CHEF »

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 07:46:57 PM »
I agree with Beercan. If you have just started you definitely don't want to spend a fortune, until you are sure it is for you. I started on a mongoose from walmart too. Have fun but, make sure it doesn't have a kickstand. If it does take it off, you don't want it to come down while you are riding.

It does have a kickstand!  Good point!

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 07:48:19 PM »
Welcome Sharky

Get a good set of full finger biking gloves,helmet,riding shorts and shirt.Camelbak to hold water, 2 tubes,pump,multi tool and a tire lever.Does your bike have a quick release on the rims or do you need a wrench?Keep that in mind when you pack your bag.

I like the baggy shorts with a lycra and chamois pad inside.The gloves with the jell in the palms and a riding shirt that helps remove the moisture from your skin.For me one of the things that bothers me is a shirt that sticks to your body thats all wet and doesnt dry fast.

Ahh thanks!  I didn't even think about what would I do if the tires/tubes blow. 

Offline CHEF

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
heres another thing. If you are around 200 pounds have your tire pressure around 40 psi you will less likely to have a flat.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:32:01 PM by CHEF »

Advertisement: