Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Newbies with only a few rides in?  (Read 4651 times)

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
Newbies with only a few rides in?
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
Are there any other newbies here ith only a few rides in?
I'd like to ease into this without embarassing myself too much and could use some company....

:)

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Newbies with only a few rides in?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 12:52:37 PM »
Don't worry about embarassing yourself.  We have all been new to this at one time or another.  You'll learn that even the most experienced riders are willing to help out a new guy.  That's what makes mountain bikers such great people.  We're probably the most helpful sort of folks you'll ever come across.  Plus, if you ride with people with more experience, you'll become a better rider ta boot.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 01:04:13 PM »
That makes sense....

thanks Jimbo!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
Yeah. Jim embarasses himself all of the time.  LOL

I mean we all embarass ourselves at one time or another. ;D

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:29:13 PM »
Nice!!  I like being the butt of the joke.  Speaking of embarassing, you missed my slow motion fall on the wood bridge at Trout Creek on Sunday.  Man that thing was slick!  I was embarassed. ;D

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
Are there any other newbies here ith only a few rides in?
I'd like to ease into this without embarassing myself too much and could use some company....

Its a normal feeling man. Do not hesistate to ask questions or let somebody know that you are not comfortable riding on a certain trail section or could not keep up with the pace. I have seen people whos been riding years and they still doing the same mistake that should have been picked up at the early stage. They just look really skilled because they have the stamina and endurance to do it which comes from riding a lot.

Its a learning proccess that you need to improve everytime you ride out there.
Just enjoy the trail...

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »
I'm taking the bike out for the first time tonight.  Just going to ride the neighborhood to get a feel for the bike. 
If I'm feeling daring, I will jump a curb!  hahah

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:45:02 PM »
Sharky, I feel like I'm in the same situation.  I have some skill, but no speed and less endurance.  I would be more than happy to hook up and ride with you.  I know it shouldn't, but reading about how some of these guys go ride for 20-30 miles at a shot like it's nothing intimidates the crap out of me.  I'm at the point where I don't stop on the trail to catch my breath; I stop to keep from having a stroke!  Anyhow, I digress.  Let me know if you are interested in going to Alafia or Boyette for an easy ride.  I haven't been to Boyette in about 5 years.  Just started riding again in May.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:09:21 PM »
Nice!!  I like being the butt of the joke.  Speaking of embarassing, you missed my slow motion fall on the wood bridge at Trout Creek on Sunday.  Man that thing was slick!  I was embarassed. ;D

OK.. I'll bite.. you want to talk about embarrassing.. I fell over in my driveway when my two year old  - (that's right 2) cut me off on his Tricycle.. I fell right over with my toes clipped in.. cut my knee and had the bars hit me in the chest.. it wasn't pretty.. >:(  but must have been extremely funny to see... my neighbors are probably still chuckling. ;D
Unyielding Single Track is your Friend

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:14:39 PM »
Got a good embarassing bit, too.  Yesterday I took my in-laws to Santos for their first ride on singletrack.  I was riding up to the truck in the parking lot and I couldn't clip out.  I guess the pedals and cleats got gummed up with mud.  All I did was fall over to the left and BOOM landed hard on my hip and knee.  They thought I did it on purpose because they moving so slow and I didn't want them to feel bad.  Nope, it was a real fall on hard pavement. ;D 

Coach and sharky, you guys should come out to the club ride on Sunday.  It's at Boyette and it's guided.  Jump in with the C group and do what feels comfortable.  You'll have fun and there is no pressure.  Don't worry about us crazies that do 20 to 30 miles at a time.  We love riding so much, we just can't get enough.  If you guys get as addicted to it as much as I have, you'll be trying to ride as much as you can too.  Just remember, it's all about having fun. :)

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »
Coach!  I'd love to meet up and Ride with you.  my email is mvifquain AT twindreams.com.  send me a message.

I took the bike around the neighborhood for the first time tonight and I realized how many years it's been since I've actually ridden a bike.  I've never ridden a  bike with shoks and felt I was going to fall over every time I pedaled. It's going to take some getting used to for sure...  but it felt good!

I do have one question...  someone here suggested I only inflate the tires to 40psi because I am over 200lbs.  I did that and the tires felt really flat.  Anytime I tried to take a corner I was worried the sidewall would roll over.  Any suggestions?

Also I believe the tires my bike has are 26x 1.95 .  Is that good enough for the trails?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 10:01:49 PM »
Sharky,

I am sure that the tires feel funny on the road, but once you hit the dirt 40 psi is plenty, some of us ride with less tire pressure than that.
 I know that the bike you are using is fairly inexpensive, but I believe that the shock will have some adjustment to it. It will probably be a tist adjustment on the shock. You will want to adjust that to your comfort level once you ride on some trails. You may want to tighten it up pretty good, because of your weight. You dont want to be bouncing up and down as you pedal. Tightening the shock may help you.

Let us know after the first time you take it off road! We all love to hear about someone getting the same addiction as us! ;D

Gregg

Offline sharky

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 10:05:07 PM »
I dind't even think of tightening the shocks.  There are the fork shocks and the body shocks.  Do you think both can be adjusted?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »
The front probably can't on that bike, but I am pretty sure about the back shock.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 10:12:02 PM »
If you can't do it yourself, and I am sure that you probably can, take your bike to Carrollwood Bike emporium. They are the closest shop to you, they are really good folks. When I first started riding with my walmart mongoose, they were the ones that pointed that out to me.

Advertisement: