Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tour  (Read 3306 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Tour
« on: July 05, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
 Any of you guys going to keep up with the tour this year! I am really looking forward to it. Who is going to win. any takers? 8)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Re: Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 04:47:53 PM »
I am going with Levi Leipheimer  ;D  I have a good feeling he can keep the streak alive.  Basso and Ullrich being out only helps his chances  ;)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:49:58 PM »
Alexandre Vinokourov OR Alejandro Valverde

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »
Landis or Armstrong. Maybe LeMond. ;D
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »
I am going with Levi myself.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »
George Hincapie.  That man is a machine the way he pulls the Discovery Team through the mountains.. Just once I would love to see him try for the yellow jersey..

But I'm gonna go with Levi hopefully!!

-bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »
All this talk about the Tour lately has gotten me hooked into watching more of that Tour thingie.  I now have much more respect for those guys then I ever had before.  Maybe cuz I am now pedaling those skinny tires thingies.  Well, two days over now.  Are you still sticking with your predictions?

I for one need some help.  I need to know more about all those jersey awards and colors.  What do they all mean?  I learned today about the different points you earn for other things such as certain climb stages or certain sprints/time trails.  When I thought it was all about pedaling your butt off and cross the finish line first at every state or just have the overall best time.  What is a good beginners web site to read about the Tour.  I need some 101 stuff then a bit more advanced.  I also need to read about teams and who is who.  I guess is time to dust my Bicycling mags.  Any help you can throw my way to give me a running start would be appreciated.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:01:15 PM by MrSandPine »

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 05:09:22 PM »
You used the word "thingie" twice in one paragraph....... :)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 06:16:46 PM »
Yellow The Maillot Jaune is worn by the overall race leader, the rider with the lowest accumulated time for total distance covered. The yellow jersey was first used midway through the 1919 race and first worn by Frenchman Eugene Christophe. It is yellow because L'Auto, the newspaper that originally sponsored the race, was printed on yellow paper.

Red Polka-Dots This jersey is worn by the King of the Mountains, determined by accumulated points on all mountain and hill climbs. Though the best climber was first recognized in the 1933 race, the red polka-dot jersey was not introduced until 1975; Belgium's Lucien Van Impe wore it first. The jersey is colored with red polka-dots because they resemble the wrapper on Poulain Chocolates candy: Poulain sponsors the best cliber award.

Green The sprinters jersey. A rider wins points for the green jersey by placing high in intermediate and final sprints on flat terrain. The jersey was added in 1953 on the Tour's 50th anniversary. It was first worn by Switzerland's Fritz Schaer. The jersey is green because the inaugural sponsor was Belle Jardinier, a department store specializing in gardening supplies.

White The white jersey goes to the best young rider on the Tour, 25 or younger, as defined by his place in the overall general classification. This jersey was introduced in 1975 and worn by Italy's Francesco Moser, but wasn't awarded from 1988 to 2000.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:18:48 PM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 06:40:08 PM »
Man, Mcewen is a friggin animal! Tht was an exciting first stage! :o

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 10:19:17 PM »
yeah he had a great comeback today.... he's an animal alright!!!

we'll see ole george ain't looking to bad..  8)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 10:51:25 PM »
Not to sound unpatriotic, but I think Basso will take the cake. He's now on Discovery and has an awesome team to back him up. Either way, I'd say it's good odds a member of Discovery will be on the podium.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 07:03:16 AM »
If Basso is on dicovery I am pretty sure his job is to pull Levi to the finish line. In that case the same goes for george. Then levi will get to sprint with some fresh legs! Nothing counts until they get to the big climbs though. 8)

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 07:26:22 AM »
Basso? Gone.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 11:45:32 AM »
Okay so Stage 2 done now.  I am not going to say anything that will ruin things for those of you who watch this at night after work.  I had to pull in a TV set next to my computer room to watch some of it.  WOW... first time I have my own hart rate go up as the peloton starts to reel in the lead riders.  The weather was looking bad today and got to see a down pour which made things very slick.  Every time I saw a crash or a slow down, my hart rate would go up a couple of notches.  I still can't believe the 29mph average speeds.  That is just totally amazing.  I wonder what they pull on the big downhills later on.

All I am going to say is that there was a massive crash at the sprint within 3K of the finish line and things came to a halt for ALL riders who were not in the top 20-30 of the pack.  No way to get by the big pile of bodies and bikes.  It looked like a massive grave of bodies and bikes.  Really nasty.  You really have to see highlights of this today.  Oh my gosh... i hope I never have to deal with something like that.  I also hope the injury list is not deep.  Sad to see some familiar faces holding on their arms, wrist, or collar bones as they coasted to the finish.   >:( >:(

If you are reading this at work, I bet your blood pressure is going up a bit as you can't hardly wait to see what happen.  Sorry but not going to say much else.  I hope I didn't ruined things already.   ;) ;)

Advertisement: