Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tsali, NC  (Read 1682 times)

Offline jro

• First Bike
Tsali, NC
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »
Over the 4th I got one day at @ Tsali in.  I am please to say that I like Alifia better than the Tsali trails I rode.  However, Tasali did give me two things we do not get in Florida.  Long Long climbs and Long Long Free riding descents.  The slow long climbs turn your legs into burning jello.   You pause and then start a descent.  As you pick up speed you notice that sliding off the trail will be costly.  The drop off the trail looks to be about a 1/4 mile down to lake Fontana.  You pick up more speed and you focus on the trail.. You loose your focus because you are moving to fast.  You then learn what braking at high speeds is all about.  You stop just in time   You watch some of the rocks you have kicked up tumble down into the abyss. You jump back on an continue your decent mixed with more long climbs and of course the many stream cut overs to add some mud to your adventure.   

Frankly I was amazed that I did not find any real technical areas, just very long loops.  I am sure they are there but as I said Alifia for me is more challenging.  To put it another way at Alifia I clip out to many times to count or I fall.  I did neither at Tasali in North Carolina, but I would ride these trails again.

Offline CHEF

• Huffy Rider
Re: Tsali, NC
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »
When i was living in Miami around 1994-95  i saw a article about Tsali. My famliy and i were going up there to see my sister in Raleigh NC so on the way back we stopped at Tsali.I was there for 2 days and i thought the same thing.When i came back and rode Markham Park i noticed that my endurance was  better from all that climbing,walking up the mountains.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:40:42 PM »
What trails did you ride a Tsali? I've rode all 4, and I agree, for the most part not very technical. Kinda remind alot of North Creek.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline CHEF

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »
I thought the same thing about North Creek.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:15:49 AM »
Tsali, NC was a lot of fun for me.  I wish we had ridden there a couple more days.  It was good for the change of scenary.  I couldn't belive the amount of trash on those trails though.  Too many empty gel packages everywhere.  Must've been a race there a few day before our trip.  Tsali has always been described to me as "introductory" to real mountain biking.  Trails are very forgiven and more for the entry level rider.  So my expections going to it were that.  It was still a lot of fun to do which I am sure you all had too.

That is why the SWAMP trip to Tsali was mixed with a second half going to Ellijay.  I highly recommend a swamp trip to everyone.  They are a lot of fun.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »
Tsali certainly is a good amount of fun but it was a 'do once' for me given the other riding in the area particularly Pisgah and Dupont.  Tsali is a good introduction to NC riding but then you can graduate to the really good stuff.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: