Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Over the top and fornt fork pressure  (Read 1164 times)

Offline jro

• First Bike
Over the top and fornt fork pressure
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:18:16 PM »
As I have posted here many times I have gone over the top of my new bike several times.  I did this months after I purchased it.  My front disc was making some noise the other day so I took it in.  I told the shop about my wrecks.  At first they were telling me that it was most likely my abilities.  I argued that it may have something to do with the how the bike is setup.  I had moved my seat back as far as I could because I felt like I was always going over the bars as I was riding.  They told me I had the seat in a dangerous position and they moved it forward.  Then someone in the back said to me,  here is you problem your pressure in the front fork is to low.  I was very surprised to find out it had dropped about 25% of where is should have been in just three months.

Moral of the story.  When someone tells you that you only have to check your fork pressure once a year they are most likely wrong.  I would recommend checking it monthly, but I am sure others have better suggestions from their own hard empirical data. 

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: Over the top and fornt fork pressure
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 06:52:46 PM »
Which shop told you once a year??   :o

I try to check mine before every ride since it only takes a few extra seconds.  I only have to add air maybe every 2-3 weeks depending on how often I ride.  Rear shock is a completely different story...I'm usually topping that off every other ride.

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:41:40 AM »
I don't know man, either your seat is too high (causing you to put too much weight on the handlebars) or your bike doesn't fit you properly (causing you to sit to far forward and put too much weight on the handlebars) or your riding skills are letting you down (causing you to flip over the handlebars) I doubt losing a bit of fork pressure on a PROPERLY set up/fitted bike would cause this problem. If you are confident that the bike fits properly, it is probably just your riding technique- even the best bikes in the world still need to be ridden right or they will go tumbling down the hill right behind you. Good luck!
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:37:36 PM »
yeppers i check my fork every time i ride.. every time.. its good practice to check over your bike before you set out for a ride.. even suttle differences make a huge impact with the handling of your bizike.

-bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Advertisement: