Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Continental supersonic tires durability?  (Read 4608 times)

scooter

Continental supersonic tires durability?
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Hey Ya'll, I just bought a Giant Anthem 1 and want to upgrade the stock Huthinson piranahas to something from the Conti supersonic (400 grams per tire) line, either an explorer or am really liking the looks of the 2.1 speed king. Like anything in life there has to be a trade off of durability versus weight so can I expect the supersonics to hold up for every day riding? How about the speed king line, any one try them yet? I have the explorer upfront on my Trek so know what to expect there. Thanks for any input.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Continental supersonic tires durability?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 08:09:02 PM »
Scooter,
I have not experiences with the supersonic.  But if you want to get rid of the piranahas, i am interested if they are 2.1 or less.  Specially if the are UST.  Let me know.  Thanks.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »
Welcome to the exclusive Giant club!  You'll love it.  When you roll up to Alafia people will freak.  I bet you will be the only one on an Anthem.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Santa Cruz or Ellsworth! ;D  Seriously though, that is a slick looking bike, my Reign is a polar opposite at over 30 lbs. it's fat and slow, but OH so comfy!  Giant specs a lot of bike for the money, and the Maestro suspension is very smooth.  Good luck.  I have the Vertical Protections and even though they say they are 2.35 in., they are really only 2-2.1 in., but they are awesome.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

scooter

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:06 PM »
The Anthem is cool and a big change converting over from an old Trek HT. I think I will retain the Pirahnas for back ups since I question the durability of the lite weights.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 07:46:25 AM »
I enjoyed the Piranhas until it got wet out.  They packed up so fast it was ridiculous, and didn't shed mud worth a darn.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:30:59 AM »
Coach is right, I have also had bad experiances with the hutchinsons.  I ride a Trance and I switched to the Maxxis ignitors.  You might also want to look at the Kenda or WTB lines, from what I understand the weirwolfs are good tires and so are the karisma's.  The ignitors but be more wieght that you are interested in but they are a great tire.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

scooter

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 09:36:56 AM »
I have only used them for one loop around the wilderness trails last tuesday morning. It was after that big rainfall that Monday and the trails were fairly packed down. The Pirananhs were actually pretty darn good but the word on the street about these tires is they can be unpredictable upfront. I did not experience that yet but the conditions the day I rode were like a side walk and did not really test the tires.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 07:03:03 PM »
if your looking for a fast super light tire.. go with the kenda kozmic lite II's 450grams per tire and they roll fast...

lots of us are running them now.. aside from the fact that there thin... there great!!!  i run them as a tubeless application with STAN's in the tires.. works well.

-Bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
Welcome to the exclusive Giant club!  You'll love it.  When you roll up to Alafia people will freak.  I bet you will be the only one on an Anthem.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Santa Cruz or Ellsworth! ;D  Seriously though, that is a slick looking bike, my Reign is a polar opposite at over 30 lbs. it's fat and slow, but OH so comfy!  Giant specs a lot of bike for the money, and the Maestro suspension is very smooth.  Good luck.  I have the Vertical Protections and even though they say they are 2.35 in., they are really only 2-2.1 in., but they are awesome.

Definately don't run across many Anthems.  I absolutely love mine. 

Wet weather traction for the Pirhanas is less than spectacular.  They pack quickly and are difficult to clear out...so it pretty much turns into a slick tire with hardly any bite. 

I've been running the Conti Explorer Protection on the front and my stock Piranha on the back of my Anthem 2 for a few rides now.  Made a big difference in my cornering and they don't seem to pack up too quickly.  I just installed a matching Conti in the back and I'm headed out to Carter Road tomorrow to test it out.  I'm hoping this will give me more bite for the inclines. 

scooter

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 11:26:30 PM »
Thanks for all the input guy's. Alan let m know how that Conti combo works out tommorow. The Conti speed kings look very similar to the explorer and come in a 2.1 and 2.3 My explorer 2.1 on my Trek looks more narrow than the 2.0 Piranah so I might look at the 2.3 Continentals.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 06:38:44 AM »
i use 2.3 cont vert pros and they grip like crazy in all conditions around here - best tires i have tried so far.  they have a bit more rolling resistance than some of the super light tired i road but you gain control so for me, that is a good trade out

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
Thanks for all the input guy's. Alan let m know how that Conti combo works out tommorow. The Conti speed kings look very similar to the explorer and come in a 2.1 and 2.3 My explorer 2.1 on my Trek looks more narrow than the 2.0 Piranah so I might look at the 2.3 Continentals.

The new tires seemed to work out well.  Rear has quite a bit more grip than before.  The real test will come when I start to hit a few of my trouble spots at Boyette and Alafia. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 03:45:25 PM »
I've been running the Conti Exp Pro UST tires for some time. They work pretty well for me.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »
PANARACER XC FIRE PRO 2.1 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 06:46:40 PM »
PANARACER XC FIRE PRO 2.1 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am surprise you haven't put those on your road bike Gregg.  Or the equivalent road tire made by panaracer if the made one.   LMAO....  That red will look sleek on your red road bike.   

Oh make sure they are knock off made in Taiwan at about 65 TPI!!!  LOL....

Sorry... is just that Gregg can quote you every little technical spec of his Panaracers.  I known him for almost two years now and have never seen him use any other tire....

Advertisement: