Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Seeking input on Garmin Edge 205  (Read 5026 times)

scooter

Seeking input on Garmin Edge 205
« on: July 15, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »
Hails, I am outfitting my new bike and originally ordered a cateye wireless computer which I currently have on my tandem but have since seen the Garmin GPS unit. Does anyone have anytime or thoughts about these guys? I have a Garmin 210 Forerunner I use for running that I like but it does not do well under the canopy of trees. According to everything I have read on the edge, it is said not to be influenced by trees or even canyons for that matter. The Edge like my Forerunner has the training mate where you can actually race a virtual rider or one of your own previous times on a loop. Sounds good and I just checked Ebay and they are blowing these things out for $120 about 3 times the price of the cateye but a lot more versatile ie: can be installed in the rear of the tandem to give the wife something to play with ::)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Seeking input on Garmin Edge 205
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:27:09 PM »
forerunner 305 and no problem with the trees

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »
A buddy of mine had a 305 or 310, I can't remember exactly. Anyhow, it worked really well untill he went swimming at Carter Rd and it got knocked off the bike in the process.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:02:47 PM »
forerunner 305 and no problem with the trees

He has even run into trees with it!!! :D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:35:26 PM »
trees/swamps/bears

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:08:54 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 06:44:18 PM »
I have the edge 305.  No problems at all on the road bike.  But on the off road, it doesn't pick up my speed properly fast enough.  I have the speed/cadance censor but it still wants to pick up my speed off the satellite.  The satellite signal is so accurate that when pulled into google maps, it is within 10 feet of where I rode.  But for some crazy reason, the speed is always slow at showing my the accurate one.  I end up rides 2-3 miles short of what the actualy total distance is.  The final average is also off by about 1-2 miles. 

I now Kevan has similar problems.  Not sure if Jonathen has notice it or not.  It may be a software problem.  I have not updated it yet.  Jsut wathever it came with.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 07:11:05 PM »
there has been a firmware upgrade

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »
FactorE, are you having the inaccuracy problem with speed and distance or did the upgrade fix it?  I am also interested in the 205, but online reviews are reiterating the speed and distance problem.  Also you posted yours was a Forerunner, is it, or is it an Edge?  Thanks for the input.  I am currently using a Garmin Map 60Cx.  Works great, but too bulky and refuse to mount it to the handlebar for multiple reasons.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 10:05:48 PM »
i havent noticed speed or distance problems - it is a forerunner - i have a handlebar mount for cycling

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 10:27:27 PM »
Something that I use, which is fairly accurate is the SUUNTO system.  You can get the optional GPS pod, which will give you speed, distance, elevation, and you can plot it on a map.  The SUUNTO also has a heart rate monitor and a way to transfer everything to your computer and so you can keep workout logs. Like these:

(I know I'm slacking this month)

Plus you can add additional pods for different types of training, running, bike ect...  The cool thing on the SUUNTO products is they are able to be calibrated.  If you have known distance and traverse that distance  with your pod on and it comes up short or long, you can go back and change it and the pod recalcualtes itself so it will be correct the next time you use it.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »
Benji,
So what exactly did you do with that 43%  of "undefined activity"   Hmmm..... don't tell us.  We know!!!   :o :o ;D ;D

I updraded all the software of my Edge 305 last night.  I had been relectunt to try do it since I just purchased it last month.  If you are upgrading firmware and you loose power in the midle of the upgrade you are screwed.  All up to date now I did see the "improvements" they made to speed caculations.  I wish Garmin would admit they had a bug in their software instead.  But anyways, I am off to GA for a week but I wll report back if it has made a difference in the speed calculation later.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
i am curious how people know how there is a mistake in speed calculations?  traditional cycle computers are not a good guide especially on mtbs - there are variences in tire thickness and air pressure that will cause them to be off a bit.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 05:53:37 PM »
Undefined as in they don't make a pod for certain trypes of exercise.  I still wear my heart rate monitor while in the gym or other types of cardio (rowing, eliptical), so it registers it as undefined activity.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »
i am curious how people know how there is a mistake in speed calculations?  traditional cycle computers are not a good guide especially on mtbs - there are variences in tire thickness and air pressure that will cause them to be off a bit.
Factore,
I for one used a CATEYE wireless computer for the longest.  I set it based on Cat Eye's guidelines for the type and size of tires I have.  I would often compare my rading on the CatEye vs other riders in my group.  The numbers were pretty much the same.  Only a few decimals off.

When I purchased the Edge 305, I mounted next to my CatEye.  I set the Edge manually to the size/type of tire as well as used the "auto" size feature.  When I would ride, the CatEye was always on queue.  The Edge was always 2-3 miles slower and at the end of the ride, it would show 2-5 miles less then my CatEye.  While comparing again with other riders, the CatEye was more accurate then the Edge 305.

That is how I know.  I updated firmware and it seemed better.  But I won't know until I mount my CatEye next to it again.

Advertisement: