Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Ride hydration  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Ride hydration
« on: July 15, 2007, 04:30:58 PM »
Just wondering what others use to stay hydrated on these hot days.  Until recently, I have filled my Camelbak with water, and took a couple of gels during the ride.  I found out that I have been running out of electrolytes, and getting killer headaches after. :(

Kenny
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
Re: Ride hydration
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:39:54 PM »
Hey stump, I have been using E Load or Accelerade.  Both work well for me.  Cytomax is another one that works well.  In the end you need to find one that works for you.  If you loose a lot of salt when you sweat (salt rings) try gatoade endurance.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 05:34:23 PM »
what Dan said - btw - Dan..you riding tuesday night?

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
Which one the BW3 or Morris Bridge?  I am going to try and make the Bw3 ride but I can't be sure just yet.  I will have to see if my baby sitter can stay longer that day.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 06:34:12 PM »
Just wondering what others use to stay hydrated on these hot days.  Until recently, I have filled my Camelbak with water, and took a couple of gels during the ride.  I found out that I have been running out of electrolytes, and getting killer headaches after. :(

Kenny
Kenny,
I been having this problem recently.  On top of the headaches, I see my hart beat racing up over 160/170 and not coming down quickly enough.  Water and power gatoraid mix on my camel back plus gels is not enough for me sometimes.  If you are a morning coffee (or other caffeine drinks) make sure you get the gels with at least 1X caffeine on it.  On my water bottle mounted to the bike, I also carry cytomax with and sometimes plain water just to cool off my head with it.  Prehydrate and make sure you taking extra sip out of a sport drink mixture bottle besides the water and gels.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »
A bottle of water

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 07:16:04 PM »
I drink straight GatorAde and eat Cliff Bars. Works for me- just have to keep that CB bladder clean between rides.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 08:18:29 PM »
I don't like to drink gatoraid much while riding. So what I do it take endurolytes, a pill form electrolyte, and I carry a bottle of gatoraid on the bike. The endurolytes work very well, the ones I get are made by hammer gel. I've tried some other brands, but they seemed to bother my stomach (acid reflux), but the endurolytes work for me. I also tried the drops that you put in the water, but didn't like that either. Guess I'm just picky. I do know I drank about 120 ounces of water, plus 32 ounces of gatoraid this morning. If I follow that formula and prehydrate the night before I don't get the headaches like I used to.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 08:34:25 PM »
Load up on minerals and vitamins days before your ride,(actually, put yourself on a good quality vitamin /mineral program all the time) drink lots and lots of water. not soda  or sweet tea and supplement after your rides also. Take a good look at your diet and cut back on sugar foods and high glycemic carbs. The fact  that you are getting headaches confirms that you are not doing something right. If you are lucky, it means that you are not supplementing (water, eloctrolytes...) enough  during and after your ride. Do you run your camel back dry during the ride?  If not, then I think the problem is more dietary than anything else. Your body may be already deficient or marginally deficient in the needed minerals and vitamins and the ride grinds you down to the bottom.   
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 10:12:49 PM »
I use water only, while I ride, I prehydrate with around a liter of water before the ride and take endurox from GNC, I also take a good multivitamin twice a day. This has helped me tremendously. I also drink before I get thirsty. I have tried using gatorade, and other drinks but they just give me a sticky feeling in my mouth, making me feel more thirsty. 

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 11:02:33 PM »
A bottle of water

yeppers it works for me.. just use a little more gel... if you are getting tired, take a gel before you even start riding. but water is best, and use the recovery drink for when you are done.

-Bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 11:16:07 PM »
I prehydrate the day before.  Water only in my CB and I mix up some Clif Shot Electrolyte in my water bottle.  That combination works great for me.  Can't stand Gatorade.  Gives me wicked heartburn.  Yuck!! 
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline Vincent18

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 04:39:47 AM »
            Of course because of the movement of the electrolytes.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 07:15:22 AM »
Funny I have to force myself to drink less to make the camelbak last longer or else it's empty within an hour or two. I just put straight water in my camelbak or water bottles. If I'm riding from the door on the road bike I'll fill one water bottle with a double strong mix of gatorade (though I prefer powerade I haven't seen the mix in stores in a while) then just refill with water when necessary. Unless I'm just going over to USF (2.7 miles of high speed sprint and bunny-hop training to get to class on time because I'm always running late) I always bring two bottle but usually the second bottle is just there as an empty spare unless I'm not sure about available refill points (or I'm planning to put down some serious miles and don't want to have to stop so frequently). If I'm driving with the mtb I'll drink a water bottle of the 2x mix on the way there to prehydrate then just go straight water in the camelbak after that. When I'm riding by myself I usually have to come refill at some point because I'm usually out for 5-6 hours. I keep a cooler with 2 gallon water jugs in the truck, one frozen solid, the other stuck in the freezer overnight so it's about 50% frozen in the morning and usually 90-95% thawed by the time I come refill.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 11:33:06 AM »
Bottle of water at the house or on the drive to the trail and then 100oz CamelBak water/ice. Gatorade give me cramps. If I get a headache it is because I'm not drinking enough water. I think sunglasses might help as well. I'm gonna try wearing them and see if it lowers the frequency of my headaches.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Advertisement: