Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Leadville 100  (Read 3460 times)

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Leadville 100
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:23:59 PM »
I've seen people mention it before on this forum. Is there anyone here that is doing it or has done it in the past? I think it's about 3 weeks away.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Leadville 100
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:45:46 PM »
I've seen people mention it before on this forum. Is there anyone here that is doing it or has done it in the past? I think it's about 3 weeks away.

Haven't done it, but it would sure be an accomplishment to be had.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Finishing facts

Of the 750 entrants, about 600 made it to the start line at 6:30 am on race morning, August 13, 2005. Of those 600 riders, only 471 would be "official" finishers. The cut-off time to be an "official finisher" for Leadville is 12 hours. If a rider's finish time is between 12 and 13 hours, he or she is awarded a finisher's medal signifying completion of the distance; but not within the cut-off time.

Riders expected to finish over 13 hours are helped off the course for their own personal safety and for the safety of all the volunteers that have spent long hours on the course.

For all finishers under the 12-hour mark, riders receive a shiny silver belt buckle, women get a pendant in addition to the buckle, and there is a sweatshirt with the rider's name and finish time on the sleeve. (Yes, people stay up all night doing printing operations so the shirts can be handed out at the awards ceremony the next morning.)

Riders under the nine-hour mark receive the coveted gold and silver belt buckle, "La Plata Grande," to signify the accomplishment of this challenge. Category winners receive a mining pan filled with goodies. For the last finisher under the 12-hour mark, a small statuette of the hind end of mule is awarded. The trophy says, "Leadville Trail 100 Bike Race, LAST ASS UP THE PASS."

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »
Some things are just plain cool!!! Thats one of them.    8)   8)   8)
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:37:54 PM »
amen brother!  amen.. lets hope we finish the 100 miler.. this year i just want to survive, next year i'll race...  you, chisel, and the idster ought to think about trying it next year..  i'd be cool to do a ride like that together.

-bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:45:48 PM »
Possibly! That would be alot of fun. 8)

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:47:45 PM »
Possibly! That would be alot of fun. 8)

well then lets go..  :)  thats somethin to put under the belt!! 

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 09:18:29 AM »
Hey Bob, Where you doing the 100 at?  We still need to try to put together the WT 100.  I've got something going on every weekend this month and going to Tsali the 28th.  :-/

I'll have to skip some guide duties or something to free my weekends.

Garry

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:17:23 PM »
the shenandoah 100 is labor day weekend. yeah i am definately game for setting something up at Flatwoods.

i think it would be cool to have an "endurance" ride, event, race, whatever we decide to call it local..  it would be great for the club too.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
I am game for WT100.  Let's nail a date and get rolling here!  How about 9/29 or 12/29?  Those are the next two "fifth Sundays" left on SWAMP calendar for which we don't interrupt a normal schedule club ride.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »
sounds fun

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »
I am game for WT100.  Let's nail a date and get rolling here!  How about 9/29 or 12/29?  Those are the next two "fifth Sundays" left on SWAMP calendar for which we don't interrupt a normal schedule club ride.

It can be any day actually.  Saturday, Sunday or a holiday.Just a matter of doing the miles and having nutrition and beverage set up each lap through the parking lot.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 01:05:19 AM »
Garry,
It sounds as if you don't want to take lead on getting the WT100 organized.  I thought you had come up with the idea.  But anyway, if you all still want to do it, give me a date for it.  I am open to get together and go over possible course and other details.  I am sure there will only be less then 5 of us trying it.  Once we show it can be done, I say we take it to SWAMP board to see if is even something they would want to do with their already busy schedule.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 08:01:58 AM »
Nope, not at all Sandpine - I don't mind setting it up or even laying out the course.  I was just saying that of late I have had very little free time to block off 4+ hours to pre-ride and work out a plan.  Having others involved would make it easier.  Sometime in August looks like it may work; July is almost done.  Today I have to be somewhere at 2:oo; tomorrow I'm guiding at Croom.  Next week I hope to be in Tsali.  August 4th is the St. Pete Assault.  After that?  Well, haven't really looked that far.  :-)

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 10:48:49 PM »
the shenandoah 100 is labor day weekend. yeah i am definately game for setting something up at Flatwoods.

i think it would be cool to have an "endurance" ride, event, race, whatever we decide to call it local..  it would be great for the club too.

how about we just do it unofficial. on a weeekend we set a 100 mi on a 20 mile lap each individual will log his own time and keep a computer for distance?  make a route and e-mail to anyone who's interested.

no swag, no prizes, no fancy organizer...

just bragging rights and respect.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 12:06:14 AM »
Daz the plan.  Riding it amongst ourselves first and maybe pitch it later to be an official event.  25 mile loops so we can complete about 4 laps.  I like your idea of the log.  That will give each rider that comes back to our own sag stop (parking lot) write down the time you came in for your lap so others know how far ahead/back you are.  At the end, you take a picture of your speedometer and save it for our own records books.

Advertisement: