Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hey Gregg!  (Read 1161 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Hey Gregg!
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:01:03 PM »
What happened to ya today? Sure wish you would have stuck around, we had a blast!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Hey Gregg!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »
Broke my seat.....it was precarious to say the least :o. I was having a great time up until that. It was great to finally meet you. We will have to get together again! Morrison, Jim, and I were talking about spending a little more time up there, but I am game for anywhere. ;D ;D

I had a WTB Lazer V with Ti rails. The shell completely seperated from the rails. It happened as I crested a climb. It startled me and I went down sideways in slow motion, I have got a cool bruise on the titanium side!  ;D

I went to my LBS and they replaced it under warranty with a Pure V with Ti rails it is a little lighter and a little wider. We will see if it holds up. :-\

I felt cheated on miles so I went down to the hole in the fence to ride for about an hour.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:45:18 PM »
It was great riding with you guys.  Sure had a lot of fun and did some stuff that I haven't been able to do before.  You guys are great help to someone that is still pretty new to the MTB thing.  I'll just have to make sure I bring myself some lunch the next time we do this.  My butt was dragging big time after we were done!! ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:02:59 PM »
It was a great ride!! Rode with slowfatguy, jimbo, gregg, julio, jim(slowfatguys' riding buddy) and john (from west palm beach)

One thing I need to clarify "slow fat guy" is a very deceptive screen name as you can tell after reading through. I was running late on our supposed 9:30a Santos ride with Gregg, showed up the trailhead past 10a so I had everybody waiting on me while preparing for the ride. Slowfatguy being the experienced lead the ride with the rest of us tagging along, it was first agreed upon to stay longer on the red trails at the vortex area. It was my second time up there and still was not familiar with the sections. Left the trailhead and stayed most of the blue trails on the way to the vortex red trails the pace was fast but not very fast but one thing I can say though when we hit bunny I could not see slowfatguy he was just, I guess what you can call "power up". We hit the vortex and were surprised the trail held pretty well even after the hard rain the night before. The sections are slippery with the roots still wet and the dirt sticky. Gregg needs to bail (see previous thread), so it kinda sucks..(next time dude)

Slowfatguy did pretty well on pointing out what to expect and where are sections that needs special attention. I was not riding right behind him but every time we try to clear an obstacle, which obviously he clears first, and I cleared he will be there on top not even broken a sweat. I am putting everything I got on each of those pesky tight rocks, slippery roots and tight switchbacks and gnarly climb and I am pretty sure you guys do the same thing too. But what gets me is when you try your hardest and you just don't succeed or maybe able clear a section but with scratches and bruises I tend to cuss..a lot (so my apology to you guys whom I ride with today). There are sections that we stop to either clear it or pick a new line or pick a new gear combinations.

We cleared all the vortex area red trails and tried to head back to the trailhead for a much needed refuel via twister, the blue trails, ant hill, rattle snake, magic mountain, etc. Needless to say I was just freakin hungry and as long as I stay on my bike and keep up with this guys I am satisfied. After the break, jimbo suggested to go to sinkhole and figure out afterward where to go next, finished it and the guys decided to do it the opposite way but soon enough found a section that everybody tries to clear it with different lines. I cleared it the easiest way but I was aiming to hit the hardest way (at least for me) just straight to the rock and hopefully can use the loghop technique but unfortunately after countless of tries, banged up right arm and twisted hanger, I just said lets go. Slowfatguy ask the rest of the guys where to next but after a few cellphone rings (jim, jimbo and mine) so I said that I have to call it for the day and everybody agreed, mind you it was already 2:30p.

To sum it up, it was good to ride with people you have not with before (though I rode with slowfatguy and jim before at boyette when they have those guys from winter park and they were hauling azz), and meet new people that you just frequented on the forum.

Thanks guys!!!
'til next time. 8) 8) 8)

Advertisement: