Author Topic: Foot pain w/clipless pedals  (Read 3584 times)

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Foot pain w/clipless pedals
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 09:26:52 AM »
i can get out of my clipless as fast as i can take my foot off a platform pedal now - it is a short learning curve period - i cant imagine throwing my ass off the back of my bike going down a steep hill without being clipped in - also climbing is exponentially easier clipped in - you as many people have said before you get a full circle of power rather than just 2 push strokes.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
Clipless pedals have also been proven to attract more women.  Why?

Clipless pedals = more crashing in the beginning
More crashing = more scars

Chicks dig scars...therefore clipless pedals = more women

Offline Jersh

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 11:20:29 AM »
So I have a story that I'm sure a lot of people can relate to.  I'm still very much a newbie and have been using my clipless pedals for a couple weeks now.  Up until this past Saturday I had been very proud of myself for not doing anything stupid like forgetting to unclip when I come to a stop.  So Saturday I put in just over 20 miles out at Flatwoods.  My car was at the parking area near the Y on the paved loop.  I came off of Eubanks and unclipped as I was pulling up to the water station.  As I was pedaling in (unclipped) my right foot clipped back in, unbeknownest to me, so as I pulled up to the bike rack and went to get off, my right foot was clipped in and I lost my balance.  So of course I fell like an idiot.  Mercifully there was only one person there to see my moment of grace.  Unfortunately when I landed pretty much all of my weight fell squarely onto the end of my left handle bar with the right handle bar hitting the ground, resulting in some nice bruised ribs to remind me of my fall.  An added bonus was having the wind knocked out of me.  Definately one of my more graceful moments. 
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 11:24:20 AM »
see - you got some GLORY

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 11:30:45 AM »
So I have a story that I'm sure a lot of people can relate to....
  Oh yes..... WELCOME to the club....  If only one person saw you, it doesn't count though.  You have to do it in a big group so that everyone claps at you.  After making sure you akay....   ;) ;) ;)

Offline Jersh

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »
If only one person saw you, it doesn't count though.  You have to do it in a big group so that everyone claps at you.  After making sure you akay....   ;) ;) ;)

Well, the one a-hole that saw me didn't bother to ask if I was okay... He was riding a recumbant so maybe he's not had an experience like that.  He just stood there and looked at me like an idiot as I was bent over the bike rack wincing and weezing trying to get my breath back. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:36:58 AM by Jersh »

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 09:16:23 PM »
Stupid clipless wipeouts are always fun in front of strangers.  I hit the sand hard in the parking lot at the hole in the fence last weekend in front of a small audience (both friends and strangers).  I was circling the lot getting my bike into gear to make my ascent up the hill.  Finally get in gear and I'm ready to go.  I go left.  My front tire goes right.  In a split second I'm taking a sugar sand bath...still clipped in and straddling the bike.  All I hear is "Hey....Alan's down." from a friend.  Then my wife says "What the hell are you doing?"  Meanwhile a couple of strangers are staring at me as I lay on the ground and try to unclip myself so I can stand up again.  I felt like a complete retard. 

Offline Jersh

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »
I'm considering purchasing the Specialized insoles to use in my Nike shoes. Has anyone used the Specialized insoles on other brands of shoes?  I don't want to spend $40 on the insoles only to find they aren't a good fit....

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 09:17:36 PM »
Spend the money!!!!  I have those insoles in my Specialized MTB shoes, and my nike road shoes. You will be happy you spent the money!   :)