Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Intermediate rider training?  (Read 3299 times)

scooter

Intermediate rider training?
« on: July 30, 2007, 10:45:03 PM »
Just wondering if this would prove to be valuable? It is suggested that you can ride rollercoaster and moonscape before attending the advanced class but what to do in the meanwhile? In my case ,I have been to Alafia twice (the last two saturdays) And have managed O.K. on North creek and bridgesexcept for that one dang climb on bridges right after the down hill and hard right. This past Saturday I thougt I would raise the stakes and ventured out to roller coaster. About half way thru I remember thinking that perhaps since this was an original trail it had been overrated(BIG MISTAKE)Then the bottom dropped out and I spent as much time on the ground as I did upright.(Still LOL tho). So my thought is what about us tweeners stuck between the blues and those blacks? I am thinking if I can ride roller and moon I already am advanced.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Intermediate rider training?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:58:34 PM »
The advance class recommends that you should be able to clear most of bridges and rollercoaster. The class should help you ride Moonscape, and similar trails. Scooter, it is inevitable that you will fall. The key is to get back up and try it again. From what I saw of you, it won't take long before you are riding as hard of a trail that you want to.

I have a friend who is a terrific mountain biker. When he approaches something new to him, he stops looks at the trail, to see where the line is, and then will try it 3 times. If he doesn't make it by the third time. he looks carefully at it again and then moves on. He knows it will be there next time he rides.

The point is even really good riders need to take things in steps. Try what you want to ride everytime you are there, learn from your falls get back up try again and you will get there.

Gregg

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 12:23:42 AM »
Scooter, your about at my skill level. Falling is part of the game, and climbing well is one of the hardest thinigs to learn. To date, I have only cleaned that uphill on bridges once. The trick for it is to go to the far left of the trail and avoid the pavers as much as possible. Keep trying RollerCoaster, It's my favorite trail in Alafia and does take some getting used to.
Keep falling buddy, cause one day you'll get it and it will feel so good.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:35:37 AM »
i can only make that climb if i ride the pavers - i am an oddball though

scooter

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 11:30:57 AM »
Right now Alafia is the cooling thing going so I will certainly continue to try to improve my riding there and try to progress each time there. Unfortunatley I was riding alone last Saturday so I did'nt have any one to mimic. Following behind a rider better than myself would probably be the best situation.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:12:37 PM »
That is the best thing you can do.  I always like riding with those that are better than me (Gregg will say that always happens ;D).  You can pick up on what they do and they will usually give you pointers.  Have fun out there.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 12:29:50 PM »
Imo I would get really comfortable riding N Creek and Bridges before expecting to do real well on Rollercoaster. Once you can clean those 2 trails, or at least come pretty close you should be able to hit Rollercoaster and feel pretty good on the whole trail. From there Moonscape isn't a big step up as far as drops go, it is just more technically challenging.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 01:45:58 PM »
Just wondering if this would prove to be valuable? It is suggested that you can ride rollercoaster and moonscape before attending the advanced class but what to do in the meanwhile? In my case ,I have been to Alafia twice (the last two saturdays) And have managed O.K. on North creek and bridgesexcept for that one dang climb on bridges right after the down hill and hard right. This past Saturday I thougt I would raise the stakes and ventured out to roller coaster. About half way thru I remember thinking that perhaps since this was an original trail it had been overrated(BIG MISTAKE)Then the bottom dropped out and I spent as much time on the ground as I did upright.(Still LOL tho). So my thought is what about us tweeners stuck between the blues and those blacks? I am thinking if I can ride roller and moon I already am advanced.
Check Harvey Minton's Advance MTB Seminar this is valuable but also reading books and applying what you read one ride/topic at a time also very helpful. I recommend Ned Overend's "Mountain Bike Like A Champion" and Brian Lopes/Lee McCormack's "Mastering Mountain Biking Skills" these books helps me a lot on the basic and more advance mountain biking skills and they are available at the Hillsborough public library if you don't want to spend extra cash. The topic which will be discussed in the seminar/clinic was covered by these books but applying these topic with an expert helps out a lot and sure will boost your self confidence next time you ride.
I agreed with slowfatguy, once you are comfortable cleaning North Creek and Bridges, Rollercoaster is easy.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:55:30 PM by treadlight »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 01:49:09 PM »
when does moonscape get easy?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »
It doesn't!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »
It doesn't!

It is easy when you've been riding it on a SS, then go out on a geared FS bike. You can breeze right through it then. :D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 06:38:15 PM »
With this humidity lately, I'm not breezin through anything.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 07:33:17 PM »
It doesn't!

It is easy when you've been riding it on a SS, then go out on a geared FS bike. You can breeze right through it then. :D

Don't let slowfatguy's screen name fool you. ;D  Dude can ride!!  I like how he says "breeze".  Hah!!
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 09:50:47 PM »
The Thursday night rides are sort of like Intermediate Training rides.

Otherwise, just hook up with some people and ride as much as you can. I hope to see you there this Saturday morning  ;)
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

scooter

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »
Hey Treadlite, thanks for the input on reference material. I went to my local library and checked out the Ned overend offering. Lot's of good input,it has answered a lot of questions and now I just need to practice what old Ned preaches.

Advertisement: