Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Anyone Riding 29er's?  (Read 2890 times)

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
Anyone Riding 29er's?
« on: August 02, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »
Got the new bike jones and being 6'4" and 270, I'm looking to get into the 29er thang.  Anyone else riding one on our local trails?  Thoughts and impressions are requested.  Thanks.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Anyone Riding 29er's?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »
Beercan rides avery cool Turner with big 29 inch wheels. ;)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 04:27:29 PM »
that is a sweet bike

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 08:36:07 PM »
its all that coffee he drinks he needs a bigger bike.. just gettin back from the mountains you guys need to watch out for the ole 29er..  he'll be killin these trails around here..

i cant wait to get him out on the BWW ride.  :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:38:05 PM »
We have a guy on a Redline Monocog 29'er that comes out with us to Boyette and Wilderness Park.  Says he loves it.  It looks like he has tons of fun on that bike out on the trail.  

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 11:12:27 PM »
There are a few 29ers around.  Mine, Bob Wilcox has a niner m.c.r. (magic carpet ride), Dave has an orbea and I know of at least 2 super calibers I have seen on the trail.  For me they are great.  I think it has more to do with the geometry than the big wheels.  The big wheels do seem to roll over smaller obstacles better but there is no magic to them (as some claim). I will probably never go back to a 26er but who knows.  Best thing is to go to a fisher dealer and ride one.  The hifi 29er should be in stores soon :)  Do you have any more specific questions?

Here is mine. 

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 06:38:06 AM »
Thats a nice bike Beercan. I just wish I had two more hands so I could give you 4 thumbs up!!    ;D Now show me your .........
other bikes!           ;D   ;D    ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »
Beercan, nice bike!  I was thinking more of the hardtail steel thing with a Reba on the front.  The general "consensus" is, as would be the case with larger wheels, the big wheels roll over smaller obstacles better.  Can you notice a difference between 26 and 29 at places like Morris Bridge, say Gatorbait, Indian and HB Ridge with the roots systems that are on those trails?  Also, I see the Bontrager XR on the front and what looks like a WTB tire on the rear.  Have you tried other tires?  Had good luck with these tires?  Thanks again for the reply.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 11:00:40 AM »
if i had a money tree i would get this bike - 23 pound 29er:

Technology has a soul in the Alma 29er, the world’s first production carbon 29er. T700 and M30s fibers are the most advanced ever used and make this the lightest 29er frame ever made. Complex shaping—like only Orbea can pull off—gives the Alma 29er a ride that is road bike fast but ultra-stable, including the Four Point rear end that takes the harshness out of the trail.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 11:02:36 AM »
Orbea's as so very pretty.  I, too, would get some kind of 29r hardtail if I had extra cash burning a hole in pocket.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »
Beercan, nice bike!  I was thinking more of the hardtail steel thing with a Reba on the front.  The general "consensus" is, as would be the case with larger wheels, the big wheels roll over smaller obstacles better.  Can you notice a difference between 26 and 29 at places like Morris Bridge, say Gatorbait, Indian and HB Ridge with the roots systems that are on those trails?  Also, I see the Bontrager XR on the front and what looks like a WTB tire on the rear.  Have you tried other tires?  Had good luck with these tires?  Thanks again for the reply.
I notice a difference over some roots and rocks especially on trails like HB ridge.  You gain a slight advantage because the 29er tires angle of attack is a little steeper than a 26" tire.  Its hard for me to say if the 29er made it easier for me to clear some obstacles or the fact that the bike fits me better.  My last 26er fit me terribly and it showed in my riding.

Right now I am using the Bontrager XR in the front.  I like this tire there.  I have also tried a specialized resolution pro, geax saguaro and a maxxis ignitor in the front.  XR and Resolution pro were the best.  In the rear I have tried the WTB nanoraptor, geax saguaro, maxxis ignitor and maxxis crossmark.  All of them were ok with the geax saguaro standing out as the best all a rounder and the crossmark as a fast race type tire.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »
Sweet bike Beercan. I have also seen a dos niner on the trails, that seems like it would be perfect for around here.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:00:31 AM »
There is a nice orbea 29er for sale on the mtbflorida forum for 1250 complete!

Advertisement: