Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Any Word On Trail Conditions at Wilderness Pk?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
Any Word On Trail Conditions at Wilderness Pk?
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »
Picked up the new ride today and thinking about breaking it in tomorrow at MB/FW. Anyone ride out there today?  Conditions? I'm riding early(7am) if anyone else wants to join.

I'd hook up for the club ride, but I have a baptism to attend later.  BTW...for the Wilderness club ride, where is SWAMP parking these days?  At the hole or T.C.?

CIAO
Rick

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
Re: Any Word On Trail Conditions at Wilderness Pk?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »
I put in 20 miles out there this morning... I didn't venture off the main trail at all but generally speaking they are pretty dried out.  I would guess that most all of the trails on the MB side are fine based on what I saw out there Wednesday night.  The only areas today that were really wet were the sections in the middle of the paved loop near where the trail crosses Clay Gulley.  There is probably 12-16" of water at the Gulley crossing and there are a few other spots where the trail is completely covered in 3-6 inches of water.  I also saw a 4 foot gator chillen' on the trail at the Gulley crossing. I was able to ride up off the trail in the grass around the wet spots to avoid damage to the trail.  The only spot that I had to unclip and walk the bike was just south of trail marker #38, right before the trail veers to the SW for the long straight away that goes to the metal bridge near the levee... There was a good 6-10" of water there and it wasn't just the trail that was covered, the entire area was a lake.   I couldn't tell where the trail was cut so I unclipped and hiked it through the brush around the water. 
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 05:13:48 AM »
Jersh

Thanks for the report.  I'll give it a go and see what I run into.  Yesterday, at the bike shop, I overheard someone talking about coming across a gator there...were you at Carrollwood Bikes yesterday morning?

Rick

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 04:42:59 PM »
Nope, I sure wasn't at CBE yesterday... But when I was stopped at the water station at the Y on the south side of the paved loop I overheard a couple other guys talking about seeing the gator there yesterday as well... So apparently it's used to seeing us ride by...
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:32:35 PM »
Jersh

Thanks for the report.  I'll give it a go and see what I run into.  Yesterday, at the bike shop, I overheard someone talking about coming across a gator there...were you at Carrollwood Bikes yesterday morning?

If it was a guy with glasses and a Gary Fisher HiFi...that was probably the guy I rode with early on Saturday.  We came across a juvenile gator at what sounds like the same spot Jersh just described. 

Advertisement: