Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Vandalism - Tuesday Night rides  (Read 2309 times)

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
Vandalism - Tuesday Night rides
« on: August 05, 2007, 07:50:45 PM »
I've been reading my emails via the yahoo group communication and noticed that another window was smashed last Tuesday.. Have we as a club (SWAMP) figured out what is the next step?  New parking area?  Someone to watch over the vehicles?  Anything?  I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this is serious stuff..  ;)

All comments / suggestions welcome..

Best,
Andrew
Unyielding Single Track is your Friend

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
Re: Vandalism - Tuesday Night rides
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:08:30 PM »
We need a Karate Monkey for protection

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »
I've been reading my emails via the yahoo group communication and noticed that another window was smashed last Tuesday.. Have we as a club (SWAMP) figured out what is the next step?  New parking area?  Someone to watch over the vehicles?  Anything?  I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this is serious stuff..  ;)

All comments / suggestions welcome..

Best,
Andrew

Maybe there is someone who has a friend, or spouses, or significant others who don't generally ride that wouldn't mind hanging out at parking socializing, or grilling watching over the cars.

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:04:40 AM »
Garry.. that sounds like a great idea.. I for one wouldn't mind paying a few bucks to have someone hang out.. maybe grill a bit..

What if we started a rotation of who's hanging back and watching the cars.. ?? as much as I would like to ride.. I would volunteer.. as long as I knew others would watch out for me when I ride.. maybe we could form some sort system.. kind of like a "neighborhood watch"??

Thoughts / comments?  Who would get this started?? Wes?

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 10:35:49 AM »
I am a newbie to the club and have not been able to make it out to any of the Tuesday night rides... I still have an opinion though and I'll share it for free, after all that's probably what it's worth (nothing haha). 

I think SmarRiders suggestion is a good one... From the sounds of it there seems to be a good amount of people there each Tuesday night riding (30+ riders?).  Why not have someone bring a sign-up sheet and simply ask for volunteers that are willing to give up one night of riding in order to stay back and make sure nothing foul is happening around the cars.  It would probably work out to each person having to give up one night of riding no more than once or twice in a calendar year.  If you keep a tally of who has volunteered to stay back, those who haven't might be more likely to volunteer as well.  I don't think it's necessary to have people signing up more than a few weeks in advance... Rather, try and make sure each week that the next few weeks are accounted for, and then make a posting a couple days before the ride to make sure the volunteer remembers that this is their week to watch over the cars. 
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 10:38:39 AM »
I am a newbie to the club and have not been able to make it out to any of the Tuesday night rides... I still have an opinion though and I'll share it for free, after all that's probably what it's worth (nothing haha). 

I think SmarRiders suggestion is a good one... From the sounds of it there seems to be a good amount of people there each Tuesday night riding (30+ riders?).  Why not have someone bring a sign-up sheet and simply ask for volunteers that are willing to give up one night of riding in order to stay back and make sure nothing foul is happening around the cars.  It would probably work out to each person having to give up one night of riding no more than once or twice in a calendar year.  If you keep a tally of who has volunteered to stay back, those who haven't might be more likely to volunteer as well.  I don't think it's necessary to have people signing up more than a few weeks in advance... Rather, try and make sure each week that the next few weeks are accounted for, and then make a posting a couple days before the ride to make sure the volunteer remembers that this is their week to watch over the cars. 

Fantastic !  I believe that's why we all joined a club.. to ride safe and look out for one another..

How can we get this started?

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »
Is there any way that we can just used the paved parking lot near the Ranger's house and not get gated in?
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Advertisement: