Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Looking for Mr. Sandpine  (Read 2203 times)

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
Looking for Mr. Sandpine
« on: August 06, 2007, 11:16:20 AM »
Hey M.
I left you a phone message re: suspension bearings on your Reign. Check this link http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=242343 for more information. Seems as if there are more problems related to the 05 versions of the Trance and Reign. The Enduro bearings are an upgrade over the factory versions. Hop this is of some help to you.
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Looking for Mr. Sandpine - Giant Maestro Suspension Issue - BEWARE!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
Thanks Eric,
I thought it was Gary's voice.  Sorry...   :D :D :D  I will be at AJ's today to talk to them about dumping the Giant's bearings and see if they can order me the Enduro ones.  If they won't, I'll let them put on the Giant ones since they should be under warranty since I put them on 3 months ago.  They are really cheap looking and I wish Giant would make a recall on them.  It only takes a spec of dirt for the ball bearings to turn into dust.  If AJ's won't deal with Enduro, I am still going to order them and go to another LBS to do it.  I wish I had a press tool to put the bearings myself.  Thank you very much for the tip!  I am glad I am not the only Giant owner with this issue.

If anyone on this board has a press tool and knows how to put on and take off suspension bearings, I am willing to pay you some money. At least buy you a beer or something....  Drop me a line.

For those who may be interested on this.  I have a 2005 Giant Reign with the Maestro suspension.  There seems to be an issue with the 2005 and 2006 Maestro suspension bearings.  They don't seem to take in dirt well.  You have to keep them very clean and repack with grease often.  Or your rig will be making cracking noises all over the trail....  Same with the Trance bike model for the same years.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Looking for Mr. Sandpine - Giant Maestro Suspension Issue - BEWARE!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 12:59:41 PM »
For those who may be interested on this.  I have a 2005 Giant Reign with the Maestro suspension.  There seems to be an issue with the 2005 and 2006 Maestro suspension bearings.  They don't seem to take in dirt well.  You have to keep them very clean and repack with grease often.  Or your rig will be making cracking noises all over the trail....  Same with the Trance bike model for the same years.

The Gary Fisher Sugar also needs the pivot bearings removed, cleaned, and re greased on a fairly regular schedule.  Also the lower main pivot on the Sugars tend to wear out after a bout 12 to 14 months, so it is good to have a back up in your tool box so when that time comes and you are cleaning/ re lubing about that time you just toss the old one and insert the new one. Just did it on mine and I have my back up pivot bearing on order.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Looking for Mr. Sandpine
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 01:03:20 PM »
same issue with santa cruz pivots - most FS bikes have to have pivot points maintained. 

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
Good thing my Turner uses bushings  ;)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »
santa cruz is bushings too - just have to check and make sure that they are torqued the correct amount periodically - if not, they start to sqeak

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 03:13:21 PM »
AFAIK Santa Cruz uses bearings.  At least the Heckler, Blur and Nomad do.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 03:16:43 PM »
i know that there are some aftermarket kits that fix the "squeek" weather it be bearings, bushings, rubber bands or whatever they use in VPP system.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »
Replacing the bushings on my old Truth was a fun task...I created a ghetto bearing press with a c-clamp and various socket wrench sockets to punch the old ones out and press the new ones in.  It was a relativley easy task that just got a little messy with the grease.  The bearings on my old SC Bullit were even easier to replace as it was only 2 of them and they tended to last forever.  I need to do pivots on my Blur so I will shortly be investing in the press as I don't know if the ghetto approach will work on the SC...if anyone needs to borrow it, let me know.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 03:37:54 PM »
if i do my Blur, i am getting the aftermarket kit that is supposed to be beefier than the one from SC - if i try and do it myself and need a press, i will take you up on that.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 10:55:41 PM »
I am letting AJ's put new bearings on my bike so I can get it back this week.  However, I am ordering the Enduro aftermarket kit to replace them all.  The 2005 giant reign uses EIGHT bearings.  ARGGGGGG!!!!!    :o :o >:( >:( >:(

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 11:05:07 PM »
if i do my Blur, i am getting the aftermarket kit that is supposed to be beefier than the one from SC - if i try and do it myself and need a press, i will take you up on that.

With the aftermarket kit, be sure that includes (or make sure you get) the shock mounting hardware as that is a high stress area in the VPP design and when that area gets worn, it can cause a bunch of lateral stress on the shock which will shorten its life. 

I'll have all the hardware and tools in a month or so, so let me know if you need to borrow the bearing press.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: