Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What are your next upgrades?  (Read 2870 times)

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
What are your next upgrades?
« on: August 06, 2007, 09:19:33 PM »
Got the itch yet again.  Just got a Raceface Bash guard and new Mid ring and chain.  Apparently I have worn them out already.

All of these will be in orange.

And maybe

Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: What are your next upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »
I think I'm gonna re-do the wheels on my SS. I want a King rear hub on it, and can loose a good bit of weight going to some different spokes like I have on my geared bikes.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:42:02 PM »
Damn, did you win the lottery!  Nice bits though 8)
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:45:47 PM »
The next and last upgrade for a while will be a longer seat post.  I've spent way too much money on the bike.  Need to focus some more funds on the other hobby.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:47:15 PM »
benj - i got those salsa's in red...love em

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »
I have a laundry list of stuff that I want to get for my bikes, but what I'll do sooner rather than later are:

A single ring chain guide for my Intense - I'm currently running a Saint triple and I figure if I need the granny, then I brought the wrong bike.

Sending my rear Fox shock on my Blur to Push to be given the works treatment.  It is due for service so I might as well go all out.

Redo the bearings on my Blur as they are due to be replaced

Rebuild the rear wheel on Intense.  I dinged it up badly last year in Mammoth so I'll replace the super soft DT-Swiss 6.1's with a sturdy UST rim from Mavic.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:05:58 PM »
no lottery, but I am slowly putting this together.  One piece at a time.  First off the wheels.  I have seen 2 people with them now in red and blue and they are beautiful!!  Aside from the obvious weight issue over my current wheel set, the new 6 pawl hubs should help transfer energy to the wheels. Oh yeah if anyone is looking for a practically new Ellsworth, there is one for sale at AJ's  Apperently the guy rode gatorback on his first day out on the bike a broke his collar bone. Now his wife is making him sell the bike.  I think he is looking for about 5000,  the bike is well worth over 6000.

Check out the Blog:

scooter

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 10:33:06 PM »
Thinking I would like to hit allthe easy stuff first as the bike is new, this would include lighter easton carbon monkey xc handlebars, easton ea90 stem and seat post. That would cut close to a pound and get the bike down to around 24 pounds.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:46:22 PM »
Thinking I would like to hit allthe easy stuff first as the bike is new, this would include lighter easton carbon monkey xc handlebars, easton ea90 stem and seat post.

Have you considered a Thomson stem and seatpost?  I find Thomson's stuff to be a bit nicer than Easton when it comes to stems and posts particularly with the clamping mechanism on the post, the beautiful machine work, and the variety of lengths they offer on their stems.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »
Thinking I would like to hit allthe easy stuff first as the bike is new, this would include lighter easton carbon monkey xc handlebars, easton ea90 stem and seat post.

Have you considered a Thomson stem and seatpost?  I find Thomson's stuff to be a bit nicer than Easton when it comes to stems and posts particularly with the clamping mechanism on the post, the beautiful machine work, and the variety of lengths they offer on their stems.

ditto - what he said

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 06:10:38 AM »
Nice stuff BenjiBad!!!     For meeee, I'm finally getting to replace the drive train. New rings up front, new cassette and chain and a Sram X-9 shift kit, new shifters, cables  and rear derailleur. Been wanting to do this for almost a year but was waiting to wear stuff out before replacing.    I like the Thompson products as well, personally riding the Masterpiece set-back seatpost.
" Not this time, Lance"

scooter

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 08:03:20 AM »
I am not familiar with the Thomson line, I will check them out. Thanks.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 08:24:28 AM »
Here's a link to the their website:  http://www.lhthomson.com/bikes.htm

From my understanding, the Thomson company is primarily a contract manufacturer for the aerospace industry and either the owner or the owner's son was into mountain biking and decided that given their expertise, they could build a better stem and seatpost than was currently offered on the market.  They are relativley local as they are based out of Macon, GA and they have dirt jumps and mtb trails right outside the factory. 

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 11:53:23 PM »
They have a ride every Wednesday or Thursday out by their factory.  They will even give you a tour if you like.  I was 1/2 north of there at Dauset and some locals told me about the ride but that was the day I was coming back.  If you are out in Dauset, stop by and visit them.  They have a trail or a ride call the "Thompson Ride"  .... And no, you don't have to have your bike fitted with their products to participate.  But I am sure it helps...

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
looks like I will be getting a new seat soon.  I seemed to have snapped mine off the rails last night.  Oh well Waranty here we come!!

Check out the Blog:

Advertisement: