Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Fact or Fiction.......Santos Free ride area gone????????????  (Read 3181 times)

Offline jpap2002

• Huffy Rider
Fact or Fiction.......Santos Free ride area gone????????????
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:32:22 PM »
Please anyone with info on the Free Ride section being leveled do to a rider breaking his neck.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Fact or Fiction.......Santos Free ride area gone????????????
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 09:36:19 PM »
I didnt see anything about it on the OMBA site

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:37:52 PM »
It wasn't leveled on Saturday when I was there playing around on the jumps and small drops.

Ill-advised trail modifications leading to lawsuit and threat of a trail shutdown was the genesis of that area now which is what you may be confused with.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:59:19 PM »
I hear about this today from a reliable source.  I heard it did get leveled because of the accident that happened to some rider.  Apperantly broke his neck on the jumps or somehwere in there.  Shortly after, it got leveled.  If it is true, I am sure it was an accumulation of accidents.  Last I was there, it seemed as if it had lost it lust.  As if riders had riden on it and didn't seem like they kept coming back.  I don't ride often there so I dunno.  it just didn't seem as busy or well taken care of as I had seen it before.

Again, I really hope it is not ture, but if it is, we can forget about building any kind of jumps in any of our trails now.  Land owners and clubs probably don't want the liability issues.  Anyway, I still don't belive it but this might be true.... sorry :-(

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 11:40:24 PM »
Hmmm... i just scanned the OMBA forum and nothing is mentioned there.  You would think they be in an uproar if it had been leveled.  So....  must've been a rumor or confusion.  Or least I hope it was...

However, I did find last year 13 hours of santos course... Also found a post that said this year they are doing it backwards.. .So, pay me and I tell you what it is... LOL...

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 12:14:51 AM »
I doubt that it's closing, that place is the only free ride area in Florida and it's and IMBA epic. I'm sorry if this guy did fall and break his neck, but it's by his doing and not the trails.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 06:11:12 AM »
Getting hurt is the nature of the sport they partake in so suck it up son!

Offline KJ-Renegade

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 06:29:45 AM »
Last time I went to Santos, I saw a guy got hurt doing those jumps at the vortex area. Alot time these are people that are so bull headed thinking they can show off their friend in doing these stunts, but really don't have skills to do it. So I can see why Santos are doing this for safety matters.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
I doubt that it's closing, that place is the only free ride area in Florida and it's and IMBA epic. I'm sorry if this guy did fall and break his neck, but it's by his doing and not the trails.

Still makes it a liability issue.  Different from people to dumb to wear a helmet.  A man made stunt area has potential high risks.  If people don't learn skills needed or sign a waiver (which isn't a guarantee from being sued) then the whole place can potentially be closed down.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 11:04:38 AM »
I was at Santos on Saturday and the freeride area was still there.  There were even some guys playing on the pump track.  I'm a member of OMBA as well, and I haven't heard anything about it being closed.  When did this accident happen?
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
I hear about this today from a reliable source. 

Name the source or we'll have to file this away in the 'Unfounded Rumor' file.  2 of us were there on Saturday with no signs of anything being decommissioned and there's no mention on the OMBA board.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
File away now.....   But it is weird that I heard the same thing that jpap2002 did.  Jpap202 started this thread. 

Something must be going on and I hope is just one jump or section that is creating some problems/concerns for OMBA and Santos land owners.  I really hope they are not evaluating in doing away without the vortex.  If you read the OMBA forum, you can clearly see there are some issues going on that keep OMBA busy with it.  Everything from unathorized used, accidents, and cars parking on the vortex access road.  I am sure they OMBA board keeps dealing with same issues over and over.  After a while, it gets old. 

Anyways, I hope is there next time I get big cojones to try some stunts myself.   ;D ;D

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »
The only real issues they've had are some kids/teenagers that liked to go back to the Vortex area in the night and try really hard to set the pressure treated wood on fire.  I think since they notified the local police about the issue along with more park management involvement that they've conquered that issue.  There are always some concerns with maintenance but everything out there is really well built and most issues are due to rain/erosion on the dirt jumps.

Having said all of that, there used to be serious issues with maintenance, unauthorized building, etc out there and a serious accident was the catalyst that created the IMBA-built Vortex area as it is today.  My understanding is that someone broke their neck/seriously hurt themselves while going over a small, ill-repaired ghetto bridge that used to be in the beginning of the orignal Vortex trail (which is now the exit of the trail).  Lawsuits ensued and the park was forced with a decision to clean everything out to get it built right.  They decided to employ IMBA and their trail building crew to do surveys, designs of new trails, redesigns/reroutes of old trails and help build the current Santos freeride area.  I believe a portion of the money to hire the crew was raised privately or through some kind of grant.  I'm just wondering if someone is confusing the circumstances around the birth of the Vortex area with its current state.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 02:15:43 PM »
Somebody removed a portion of the initial bridge or ramp going into the Vortex and a rider went off it and broke his neck.  All the more reason I say don't do anything to a trail other than some trimming unless authorized.  Some folks may have thought it was neat to try and resemble some "North Shore stunts", but someone else comes along and gets severely hurt.  Thing is most of that area was not really approved to begin with but it was allowed to stay, then folks came along and started doing whatever they wanted to alter it and :::BAM::: it's gone.

Sad.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 04:21:58 PM »
Somebody removed a portion of the initial bridge or ramp going into the Vortex and a rider went off it and broke his neck.  All the more reason I say don't do anything to a trail other than some trimming unless authorized.  Some folks may have thought it was neat to try and resemble some "North Shore stunts", but someone else comes along and gets severely hurt.  Thing is most of that area was not really approved to begin with but it was allowed to stay, then folks came along and started doing whatever they wanted to alter it and :::BAM::: it's gone.

Sad.

Understand that what I posted above related to problems there before they built the jumps.  Vortex was closed for a short time and reworked with the help of IMBA and a bunch of OMBA volunteers. 

I just found out that everything about sections being closed or bulldozed are just rumors and not true.  No one was hurt in the last week and no one removed any ramp jumps.  Santos is as it was before this rumor.

In a message dated 8/8/07 2:43:26 PM, northbkr (at) tampabay (dot) rr (dot) com writes:

Rumors have been spreading about the jumps in the Vortex area being bulldozed as a result of a serious injury.

I called the folks at Cross Florida Greenways, the folks who, along with IMBA and a ton of OMBA volunteers, designed and built the free ride area at Santos.  They confirmed that no major injuries have occured since the free ride area opened, and nothing has been or is going to be bull dozed anytime soon.

Yeeeaaahhh!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:08:46 PM by Trek »

Advertisement: