Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hands - Pins & Needles  (Read 1575 times)

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
Hands - Pins & Needles
« on: August 10, 2007, 11:19:37 AM »
Hey gang..

My hands seem to be getting worse with the more time in the saddle..  >:(  it seems like the pins and needles won't go away for two days after the ride.. mainly my left hand.

Question for you...  could it be the body positioning I'm using on my bike?  Maybe sitting to high and too much pressure on my hands.. Does anyone have a remedy?

Thanks again,
Andrew
Unyielding Single Track is your Friend

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
Re: Hands - Pins & Needles
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »
I am by NO means an expert, actually it's likely that I have no idea what I'm talking about.  I'll simply share my very limited experience with a similar situation.  I've only been "back in the saddle" so to speak for a couple months now.  When I bought my bike in June I spent the first couple weeks just riding around my neighborhood and on the paved loop at Flatwoods... I got in a bad habit of resting my palms on the grips and position my thumbs above the grips (basicaly wasn't wrapping my thumbs around the handle grips).  I was experiencing the same pins-and-needles you describe, but mine would go away almost immediately after I got off the bike.  Now that I am putting more miles in on the off-road trails I have broken that habit and I no longer am having the pins-and-needles problem.  I don't know which variable fixed the problem...  It seems to me that when I'm on the trails my hands are moving more, whether it be shifting gears, braking, or just shifting weight when absorbing roots/bumps.  I think that is a major player in keeping the blood flowing.  I would say your suggestion that your body position and/or hand position is probably a good place to start to see if that's the problem.
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

scooter

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Try changing hand position frequently, are you using padded gloves?

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 03:51:28 PM »
http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/index.html

You know.. I never even thought of new grips.. I guess I'm getting older, my brain is slipping  ;D

See this is why I need you guys to keep me in line.  I'd have just kept up with the pain.  Lord knows I'd never stop riding.

Best,
Andrew
Unyielding Single Track is your Friend

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:21:21 PM »
Andrew, those Ergon grips were a life saver for me.  I had the same problem with my left hand.  Ever since I switched to those grips, I've had no problems at all.  You kind of have to fiddle with them until you get them at a comfortable angle.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »
people rant about those and my old man loves his pair. Go over to Carrollwood tomorrow and pick some up and put um on for the sunday morning ride, Boyette all!!!

With the brutal weather we have been having lately, would it be possible for someone to drive a truck up the road with loads of water so we can all easily stay get more water should we need it?
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Advertisement: