Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Discovery Team to dis-band  (Read 1727 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Discovery Team to dis-band
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:47:44 PM »
Discovery will not be back. They formally announced that the team has no new contracts in place for new underwriters and the team will not be back. Un-officially I read that Johann Bruhneel( spelling not correct) the coach of Disco has announced he is retiring from the sport, George Hincappie has signed with T-Mobile and Alberto Contador proclaims his innocence in doping and is threatening to sue for libel if certain people persist in dragging his name through the mud.  Disco team is looking for 45 mil over three years, rumors have it that possible contractual obligations are breaking deals up as the team has met with several companies but could not finalise the deals.  Meanwhile, Team Slipstream, the new 'American' cycling team  now has greater chances of picking  up the pro tour license. Slipstream is a team promising to have the most strict anti -doping program and is trying to have a high percentage of American riders. They have said it will be 'difficult for them to honor' the pro tour license  requirements which mandates that they ride in the the three big races, Tour de France, Giro d' Italia and the one in Spain (guessing here now with the name and the Spanish) Vuelta de Espania ?   I don't understand why this would be difficult to do, maybe they don't have the depth of riders necessary, or the budget money to support  these races.  They need to step up and go for this license not only to keep 'America' represented but to entertain my ass!!! Get out there and ride, monkeys!!!   :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 08:53:05 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Discovery Team to dis-band
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 06:38:34 AM »
Ride monkey ride!!! ;D

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 07:02:59 AM »
I read that also. Not the part about Hincappi and Contador. The article I read eluded that the failure to find a sponsor was a direct result of fear from the team being implicated in doping. I don't understand that if that is true. Discovery was about the team that was not implicated. I know Contador has had a few accusations but compared to the other teams Discovery came out unscathed. Not to mention very successful. I bet if Armstrong agreed to ride 1 mor year they could sure up a sponsor.   
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 12:19:53 PM »
i wouldn't put it past Lance to look at creating his own team... Two years ago when Lance retired Discovery said that this year would be their last in the tour.... I'm sure that someones gonna try to keep the Discovery team close... 

I am suprised to hear about George Hincapie, though he did kinda let me down this year.  Next year should be interesting for sure!

Might see some big American names on Phonak and CSC..  we'll see.

-Bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 01:47:07 PM »
It's un-official on Hincappie, I read it from another poster who claimed to have the inside scoop. We all know how that goes. Someone else wrote that they read on espn.com about Johann Bruhneel retiring. Keep in mind tha Lance is already a part owner of the team. The team is known as the Tailwind group , company.... something or another, but Lance is I believe a 1/3 owner of Tailwind. Discovery, as the big sponsor puts their name out front.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:50:08 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 08:38:27 PM »
It's un-official on Hincappie, I read it from another poster who claimed to have the inside scoop.

I read it on cyclingnews. Not that it's rumored to be; it's a done deal. I'd assume it to be right.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 09:35:26 PM »
I'm amazed that Discovery team couldn't get a big title sponsor. You would think that trek would be doing all they can to keep um around, because that team is like their bread and butter.

BTW Trek, I thought that Phonak disbanded after the whole Floyd thing.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 03:29:44 PM »
I'm not sure about Phonak calling it quits about the Floyd thing...... I wonder how that whole things gonna turn out..

-Bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Advertisement: