Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Raceface Evolve bottom bracket  (Read 1994 times)

scooter

Raceface Evolve bottom bracket
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:43:39 PM »
While cleaning the new Anthem today, I notice the crank is not as silky as it should be. Then I notice what appears to be paper hanging out around the chainring side of the bottom bracket. Everything I read about this race face BB was bad But I figured that was just a bunch of dumb kids posting. Now I am starting to think otherwise. So my question is can I replace just the BB with a Shimano XT unit and still retain the Raceface crank and ring set? I noticed Giant went with the XT hollowlink crankset for 2008. Coincedence, I think not!

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Re: Raceface Evolve bottom bracket
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 12:01:54 AM »
My bottom bracket on my Reign seized up on me (new in April).  I thought it was all the mud, but AJ's said it was a bad one and warrantied it.  Got a new one installed, so we'll see.  It was a Race Face Evolve X type external.  Good luck with yours.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

scooter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
Yeah, the scary thing is there is one story arfter the next on mtbr reviews just like yours. After doing some more research (man I love the internet, thank you Al Gore) it appears I can in fact replace just the BB with a Shimano unit. I think I may be better off to cut my losses now rather than do this again a couple months down the road.

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »
ISIS type BB's, depending on use and milage , might only last a year. I replaced my RF Evolve BB with a Crank Brothers Cobalt (70.00ish). Much better quality bearings (smoooooth) and dual seals to keep the muck out: plus a 5year warranty. My local shop gives them high marks and so-far-so-good for me.
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

scooter

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:53:19 PM »
Sounds interesting, what local shop do you use?

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 02:58:32 PM »
I'm in Sarasota and use Fastrack. You can always mail order or have your shop get them from a supplier like JB. Here's a link for the specs.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/cobalt_crbb.php
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

scooter

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 04:20:35 PM »
The warranty BB is holding up good so far. If it fails I will do a XTR crank upgrade.

Advertisement: