Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: nutrition doesnt matter at all  (Read 1990 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
nutrition doesnt matter at all
« on: August 17, 2007, 09:50:34 AM »
 :P

ok - i found out first hand that it totally does matter.  I dont eat that bad and i drink a lot of water at work so i stay pretty hydrated.  I never really noticed any change in performance etc. when I ate a little something bad here and there.  I thought that it didnt make difference really until last night.  wednesday was my birthday so i woke up in the morning to a freshly baked red velvet heavily iced birthday cake.  I had a large piece followed by a tall glass of milk.  At lunch my co-workers took me out for bbQ - i ate a rack of ribs, baked beans and 3 tall glasses of sweet tea.  Got back to work and was feeling sluggish from all the food and chugged down a mt dew.  got home ate a piece of b'day cake right before i went out with my mother to my b'day dinner.  At b'day dinner I had fried crawfish, red beans and rice, grit cakes and shrimp and scallop orleans from Harry's.  washed it down with 2 glasses of sweet tea.  got home ate yet another piece of cake washed down with a tall glass of milk....went straight to bed after watching "so you think you can dance"  woke up yesterday ..cake and milk - then 10:15 drank a red bull because i was tired from all the crap i ate.  At lunch i make a last ditch effort to good health by eating a salad.  i drink 1 bottle of water after lunch in a desperate attempt to hydrate after a bad day and a 1/2.  got off work at 5 and scrambled out to boyette in time to catch up with a great crew of riders.

start the ride...i was totally bonked by the time i got out of SST.  It only went down hill from there - i couldn't clear sections of abyss that I have done numerous times.  had to stop 1/2 way through because i was about to throw up from being tired.  Nikki saw caught me right at that point and got to see me looking all green..haha.  i was too tired to concentrate and crashed 4 times on stupid stuff.  i then tried to follow the 813 fellas through the meadows and felt like puking again.  I then limped back to the trail head just in time to bet the rain that was on the way.  I havent ever felt that bad on my bike physically since i first started riding.

I was wrong about nutrition and hydration not making much of a difference - It totally made a huge difference.

I already drank a bottle of water just typing this post.

I never want to feel that way on the trail again.

No more junk for me unless it is planned and in moderation once in a blue moon.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: nutrition doesnt matter at all
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »
Watching your nutrition and you can eat almost anything you want in moderation.

Instead of the sweetened Ice Tea; go for GREEN TEA, maybe with a little HONEY in it if you really crave a sweetener.  Local honey is best to help with allergies and such.  Plus natural antioxidants in both the green tea and honey.  Green Tea speeds the metabolism which in turn burns calories even when you're not that active.

Small piece of cake washed down with a 2% milk, or low fat milk - but leave it at that!  No sweets or cookies in the house.  Well, oatmeal cookies aren't bad now and again. (read the labels).

Breakfast should include a good amount of protien.  Peanut butter and natural fruit sweetened jelly and sprinkle a handful of sunflower kernels on it. About 12 grams of protien right there. 

Mid morning snack of low fat yogurt, granola, and more sunflower kernels. About 17 grams of protien.  Water, or green tea. 

Lunch is a handful of almonds to lessen your appetite.  15 minutes later your brain tells you that you aren't as hungry as before and sweet cravings should be gone.  Turkey sandwich with mozzarella cheese and light mayo. (light mayo=50 cal.;reg. mayo = 100 cal.)  Snack on some wheat crackers and humus later in the day, even sprinkling with more sunflower kernels.

Dinner, pizza with extra sauce, tomatoes, and garlic if you like.

Try this, or similar for a few days and see how your energy is.  Eat before your hungry, cut out sweets except fruits and juices which have natural sweeteners. Make beer a treat, and you should be leaner and feel more energetic.

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 04:53:35 PM »
FactorE had himself quite a birthday binge. Nothing like having all your favorites in a 24hr period. Here"s to hoping you gain your self control back soon :) There's better things not to say NO to than food. Where's Janice when you need her; she'll have some ideas for you.
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »
I don't know guys, I've done some pretty convincing rides while working at McDs. Garry, that pizza sounds pretty dang good.. Then again, so does FactorEs lunch. I'm thinking kabobs tonight, extra garlic.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:19:22 PM »
Something Garry mentioned that I wanted to point out about Almonds... a member of my family is a diabetic and eats extremely well.. they way she keeps her energy balanced is by paying attention to her Glycemic Index, simply put (SUGAR).. Almonds are a stabilizer.. no more than 15 almonds and you can level out your ups and downs and avoid the bonk. 

Just by changing your carb intake you will gain soooo much.

Hope my 2 cents makes someone faster and safer  :)

-Andrew
Unyielding Single Track is your Friend

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »
I love a good thread resurrection with a side of SPAM...

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »
I like french fries

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »
I fill my Camelbak with a 2:1 beer to gatorade ratio and add about a half lb of sugar (for energy production).  Works great. 

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:59:15 AM »
I love a good thread resurrection with a side of SPAM...

SPAM is WAY too expensive for me... i like "potted meat" from the dollar sotre.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 09:30:31 PM »
I was going to say "since when did FACTORe ride off-road  :o
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »
I could talk for hours about how important nutrition is. But. I will keep it short and brief.

You are what you eat.
Eat lots of flour grain and dough and you will be a sugary doughy human.
Eat lean meats good fats vegetables and fruits and you will be a lean clean burning human.
Chemicals in food are bad and processed food is heavily laced wit it.
Once in a blue moon. Not bad. Every meal every day disastrous to your health, never mind your performance.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:41:26 AM »
i like food, food tastes good, i like food food tastes good, juicy burgers,greasy fries, teenage girls with ketchup too, get out of my way or i'll eat you, i like food food tastes good...                                                         

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »
i like food, food tastes good, i like food food tastes good, juicy burgers,greasy fries, teenage girls with ketchup too, get out of my way or i'll eat you, i like food food tastes good...                                                         
Hey!!!!!!!! I like food too 8)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »

I Love egg's... from head down to my legs...

Advertisement: