Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Calling all roadies...  (Read 3422 times)

Offline kristyleigh

• Huffy Rider
Calling all roadies...
« on: August 17, 2007, 03:13:35 PM »
A few of us are going to ride San Ann tomorrow morning...  It will probably be a slower pace as I am new to the skinny tires..  Let me know if you are interested...

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Calling all roadies...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »
A few of us are going to ride San Ann tomorrow morning...  It will probably be a slower pace as I am new to the skinny tires..  Let me know if you are interested...

Needing a diversion from the bikes for a day, so I am going to try to kayak to Egmont in the morning instead.
Hope ya'll enjoy the outdoors!

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »

Needing a diversion from the bikes for a day, so I am going to try to kayak to Egmont in the morning instead.

Please let us know how you made out.. I've been researching Kayaks and where to go.. I'd be interested to learn more. 

Thanks and Enjoy !!
-Andrew
Unyielding Single Track is your Friend

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:46:37 PM »

Please let us know how you made out.. I've been researching Kayaks and where to go.. I'd be interested to learn more. 

Thanks and Enjoy !!
-Andrew

I've done this trip a few times.  As long as the wind isn't high (expected winds 6mph) and a storm isn't breathing down on me (maybe rain around 1:00 or so), then it's a great paddle!
Also they rent kayaks and canoes right there at the park.

scooter

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:12:16 PM »
It,s a shame sweetwater kayaks moved, they used to be right there at billys beach(bills seafood) They are BCU certified and rented high end british yaks. They are now on Gandy and 4th street which is a great location to check out weedon island from. If you have never been there, this paddle feature a kayak trail cut thru the mangroves interconnected with some backwater paddling mixed in. A great paddle. If you really want to learn to make a yak dance these people are great instructors. I don't know if he is still on staff there but acclaimed yaker Nigel Foster used to call sweetwater one of his home bases.

Offline SmartRider

• Huffy Rider
  • Me
    • My Work
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 08:05:20 PM »
We should round up some SWAMPers and try some paddling...  Sign me up!!

Scooter - you seem to know your way around.. think we can make this happen?  Anyone interested?  I'm in.

-Andrew
Unyielding Single Track is your Friend

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »
I am interested!!!!

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 08:38:22 PM »
Kristy

What time are all of you starting? Miles?  I wouldn't mind a little change from the Gaither ride.

Garry...man, that's a brave paddle! I'm too chicken to do it! :-[   I like staying inshore...plus I like to fish out of the yak, too! ;D
Rick

scooter

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »
Absolutly! Where would you like to paddle? The weedon paddle is pretty cool, we just need to plan ahead (high tide). The people at sweetwater will transport and pickup your rental at the ramp at weedon. Something else they used to do and I am sure probably still do is a free demo at gandy beach on the weekends. I have been out of touch with them for a couple of years but will call and get the skinny.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 10:53:58 PM »
Kristy

What time are all of you starting? Miles?  I wouldn't mind a little change from the Gaither ride.

Garry...man, that's a brave paddle! I'm too chicken to do it! :-[   I like staying inshore...plus I like to fish out of the yak, too! ;D

Fishing from a yak or canoe is fun.  I remember a cobia dragging me all around some flats until I tired him out!
The Egmont paddle isn't bad.  Less than 30 minutes.  Sometimes a loggerhead turtle pops up which is an exciting sight.  Gopher tortoises on the island are used to people too.  Bring some grapes and feed them by hand.

Offline roadie scum

• First Bike
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »
I will have to pay more attention to this one.  I can ride out the front door to San Ann.

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 11:03:04 AM »
Garry

I checked this thread, but didn't see a post for a start time, so I road the Gaither ride. Last month or two the group has been large...it's been a good ride.

Garry...so how was the paddle?  A cobia in the yak...now that's a sleigh ride! ;D
Rick

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 11:46:15 AM »
the suncoast ride saturday was good - it was a better pace for me than the greco hammerfest.

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 12:37:55 PM »
Yeah...that Greco ride...they do go all out!  I road it one time and I was hanging for dear life only because I don't know that area and that route well enough...I was peddaling in fear of being left out in the middle of nowhere! :o   I haven't ridden it since. ::)
Rick

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 12:42:32 PM »
Yeah...that Greco ride...they do go all out!  I road it one time and I was hanging for dear life only because I don't know that area and that route well enough...I was peddaling in fear of being left out in the middle of nowhere! :o   I haven't ridden it since. ::)

I here you - until i can stay in the high 20's low 30's for 45 miles, i will leave that ride to the big guns.  haha

Advertisement: