SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 11:55:50 PM] Skinman: My bike didnt make funny noises today. Thats a victory

[Yesterday at 11:56:26 PM] billnye: o/ Funny silences!

[Yesterday at 11:56:31 PM] billnye: \o/

[Yesterday at 11:56:42 PM] billnye: bastard shoutbox ate my arm

[Yesterday at 11:57:32 PM] Skinman: I ride an FSR silence IS golden!!!

[Yesterday at 11:59:37 PM] billnye: my current ride doesn't have any issues, but I rode for years on a set of Profile cranks that creak up a storm

[Today at 12:01:25 AM] Skinman: AJ's found my problem...a Friggin skewer with grit in it

[Today at 12:01:39 AM] Skinman: thing would wake the dead

[Today at 12:01:58 AM] Skinman: I thought it was the bottom braket

[Today at 12:02:40 AM] Skinman: Loudest thing on abike I ever heard. Tonight...not a sound

[Today at 12:03:13 AM] Skinman: just my ribs grinding together trying to keep up with 23 mph Gregg

[Today at 12:30:37 AM] mmountainbiker: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Advanced search  

News:

Remember to login to view all of the boards and topics available to you.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Gatorback.......for all those that ride it......BE HONEST..............  (Read 5769 times)

treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
Cleared at 32x19...
...except board around tree :'(

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
no clear here

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
Cleared at 32x19...

Where did you get a 19 cog? I haven't made it on my SS yet (32x18) but will have to get it another shot soon. I'm certain that the boardwalk is gonna be the only real issue.
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

jbennardo

• stumpjumper
  • SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Pedals level.
Today I went slow and controlled around that switchback before the bridge. I got my front wheel over that big root but didn't have the strength to pull the rest over. I was gonna try for the board walk if I could keep things churning.  :-\
The board seems to be the safer line actually! The detour to the left around the tree is very washed out and dry... kind of crumbling away. It's very hard to get yourself going again in that mush, then you have to pop yourself up that little step which is sandy as well. All the more reason for me to cowboy up and hit the bridge next time. :D
"It sucks being the best rider in your group."

-Catman

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
Today I went slow and controlled around that switchback before the bridge. I got my front wheel over that big root but didn't have the strength to pull the rest over. I was gonna try for the board walk if I could keep things churning.  :-\
The board seems to be the safer line actually! The detour to the left around the tree is very washed out and dry... kind of crumbling away. It's very hard to get yourself going again in that mush, then you have to pop yourself up that little step which is sandy as well. All the more reason for me to cowboy up and hit the bridge next time. :D
Yeah, the left line around the tree is sandy and loose, but it's safer if you ask me.  The bad thing about the boardwalk is-if you can't get completely up onto it and have to unclip there's not much room to put a foot down.  And the fall to the right sucks.  Ask Catman.

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Evil thread hijacker!
I will have everyone know that I made the Gatorback boardwalk on my 2nd try with Josh and Mike as my witnesses. In addition to my triumph there, I cleaned the concrete on Moonscape on the 2nd or 3rd try as well. I could not repeat it as I think it was luck. I tried to make no-dab climb, but only made it about 90% of the way up using the very very outside right line along the edge.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
I thought about making a joke but since I was so impressed by your riding that day I'll just say that I saw the whole thing and it wasn't even sketchy. Like BillT said the other day, put that man on a regular bike and we'll never be able to catch him. I told Bill to speak for himself cause I plan on poking a hole in Krunnch's fannybak so he'll dehydrate and cramp up. Gotta do what you gotta due when you lack natural ability. ;)

treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
Cleared at 32x19...

Where did you get a 19 cog? I haven't made it on my SS yet (32x18) but will have to get it another shot soon. I'm certain that the boardwalk is gonna be the only real issue.

I got mine from Ebay, 32X18 works at Gatorback but I loose traction on the Pinetree climb.
I have not seen someone on ss29er riding the boardwalk and would like to shadow how they set-up from the switchback and transition from root to to rock to boardwalk.

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
I've tried it several times but I always torque out once I start to get up on the boardwalk. Be thinking about putting my 20T on the rear and giving it a shot. I see some guys riding their SS on Moonscape but a SS on Gatorback is pretty rare in my experience.

I blazed past a struggling guy on GB a while back with my SS and I heard him grumble "and he's on a F'ing single speed". I felt like stopping to inform him that I was a hardcore SS poseur but if I can get one person on this earth to think I'm a rock star I'll just take it and carry on.

treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
I've tried it several times but I always torque out once I start to get up on the boardwalk. Be thinking about putting my 20T on the rear and giving it a shot. I see some guys riding their SS on Moonscape but a SS on Gatorback is pretty rare in my experience.

I blazed past a struggling guy on GB a while back with my SS and I heard him grumble "and he's on a F'ing single speed". I felt like stopping to inform him that I was a hardcore SS poseur but if I can get one person on this earth to think I'm a rock star I'll just take it and carry on.

IMO...gearing for Alafia is to maintain traction but not too easy so you still have that half-stroke power pedal to negotiate rocks or roots.
There are a lot of ss29er who cleans Gatorback and Moonscape that are not active from this board.
And no it was not me who grumbles because I usually drop F-bombs when I failed. Its a way to make a statement that I made this climb before so easily my heart rate stayed at 150 ;D

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
SS on moonscape isn't a big deal, only real difficult part is the step-up into Doom. Never tried Gatorback on it though, haven't been riding the SS as much lately.
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
Watch out for this eclark character! He'll sweat all over the boardwalk so you lose traction then he'll granny gear the rest of Gatorback so you have no choice but to push your bike. This assures that whoever he is riding with him doesn't get any practice for the "King of Alafia" contest  >:(

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
HEY SCUBA STUD!!!!!!!!!  :D You started this thread along time ago back in the day, I have not had the opportunity to ride with you since two FTF's ago but know you were getting stronger everytime you rode. So how about it, is this still as mind blowing of an accomplishment or have you managed this feat yourself?

eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
cat, don't give away my strategy.

cgarolr

• Amatuer Billy Goat
Personally, I ride a Specialized Epic but stay in 1 or 2 gears throughout the entire park...gatorback is easy (except for the bridge...cant get my rear wheel onto the pre-board rocks) and moonscape (the full trail, not the shortened version) is also easy...the tall climb before the stairs is a breeze for me...didn't use to be...can make it up on my first try every time now (including today).

Again, all of this done in 1-2 gears.
It's all fun and games 'til someone loses an eye.  Then it's just a game: FIND THE EYE!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 18 queries.