Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How do you handle pigs (hogs)  (Read 3628 times)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
How do you handle pigs (hogs)
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:46:03 AM »
Yesterday while riding at boyette we suddenly came across a bunch of pigs.  After the initial shock we were able to retreat in the other direction and ride on.

I would like to know that if in that situation, or worse, what is the best way to scare off or otherwise handle the more dangerous wildlife?

Thanks
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
Re: How do you handle pigs (hogs)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 09:55:51 PM »
Oh, that's a tough one.  Because we, as riders, are the visitors and the best we can do is not disturb the wildlife.  You did the right thing by going the other way.  Better to turn around and try again in 30 minutes than get charged by a scared animal.

I hear what you are saying too. "what if I fly around a corner to face an alligator?" is something many riders ask themselves.  Riders have had that happen.  They stop and turn around.

One thing I remember from a long time ago: "Make noise when in the woods, better to shush an animal away with sound than with a foot."  Some people don't like my bike bell, including me, but nothing says "I'm here!" better.  Plus a bell is easy on the voice.  At last count, hitting the bell before a blind corner has saved me from head-ons with 6 riders (coming at me), 3 large deer and 2 hogs. (All on separate occasions)

I don't count the 4 splashes I've heard.

Good Luck and let us know what works for you
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline jtwright

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:17:05 PM »
I saw a really large hog at Boyette on Tuesday.  I did not see it until I was past it.  It really put a shock into me.  I rode pretty hard for a while after that.

Then on Friday, I had a deer come accross the trail right in front of me at Morris Bridge and almost ran over a rattlesnake about 3 minutes later (I was able to hop over it at the last minute).  When I turned around the snake was coiled up with its head up and mouth open.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 08:35:19 PM »
Someone told me I should have mace with me.  My question is, will mace actually help or will it just piss the animals off?  Of course I am only talking about using it in an emergency situation.  I agree that we are the visitors and should leave the local wildlife alone.

I actually enjoy the wildlife I see on my rides so I would hate to do anyting that might do permenent damage to the wildlife or their environment.

Thanks

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:40:30 PM »
I love seeing any wildlife when I ride. A couple of times I have ridden into hogs and they usually scatter as fast as they can. One time at Morris Bridge  a big hog was in no hurry to scatter and that was the first time I thought that they might charge me. A rattlesnake would scare me but I have never seen one. There has been alot of hog activity at Boyette lately. The herds must be roaming around. A friend saw the fat bobcat last week. Must be eating well.  I should carry a camera while at Boyette you never know when you can get a memorable shot. A few years ago there was dead hog  in the pond east of the abyss near the back gate and I saw a gator wrestling to drag the carcass under water. That was pretty cool. Gotta eat!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:16:32 PM »
Someone told me I should have mace with me.  My question is, will mace actually help or will it just piss the animals off? 

If you are close enough to use a can of mace isn't that too late?  Use your bike as a block if you have to, get out of there as soon as you can preferably.  Normally, just ride and enjoy the wildlife.  Ride with someone too, that's always a good idea.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:46:08 PM by Forum Manager »
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 11:22:24 PM »
Because we, as riders, are the visitors and the best we can do is not disturb the wildlife
I agree with Kevan,we are startling and scaring them as we passed their habitat, they are more scared than us than we to them. Unless, otherwise somebody will fall from Alafia's swamp with the gator, then a healthy biker will be a great meal for weeks.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 10:29:14 AM »
Someone told me I should have mace with me.  My question is, will mace actually help or will it just piss the animals off? 

If you are close enough to use a can of mace isn't that too late?  Use your bike as a block if you have to, get out of there as soon as you can preferably.  Normally, just ride and enjoy the wildlife.  Ride with someone too, that's always a good idea.

I was also thinking by the time I get it out of my pack it would also be to late.  I am pretty certain this will not be an issue, I just wanted to make sure there was no SOP that I should follow.

Thanks for all the replies!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 02:28:44 PM »
MMMmmmmm BACON :-*

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
While they are cool to see, the hogs are an invasive species that aren't supposed to be there. They do tremendous damage that affects more than just the trails we ride on.

Advertisement: