Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: average speed??  (Read 1991 times)

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
average speed??
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:06:20 PM »
What are the average speeds of the different Swamp groups when riding Croom?? And how far does each group ride?
Mike Cole

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: average speed??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:40:59 PM »
Noble,
Last time I guided at Croom I took out a B- group.  I had some B riders with me so we went at a slightly faster pace then normal.  I started at about 10 but we finished the ride between 10-12.  We did about 15-20 miles by heading south on yellow.  Red over to blue and did counter clockwise.  All the way up past FR4 where the red connects blue with yellow.  We then cut over to yellow counter clockwise to finish the loop.

The B group probably did a 10-12 pace and about 20 miles with less stops.  The B+ goes 12-14 and between 20-30.  It all depends on weather, terrain, and who shows up and how they are feeling that day.

Croom gets the less amount of riders for the scheduled rides.  Something magical about Croom then some prefer to avoid.   :D :D

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:08:35 PM »
I like Croom, just not in the summer when everything is sandy and hot. During the cooler months it's my favorite place to ride in terms of non tech distance riding.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 11:13:23 PM »
do the groups often ride through the pits area on north blue? I find yellow and most of the other areas pretty boring for the most part. I ride a single speed and ride at an average of 14 mph for about 20 miles and I don't normally stop.
I have done the entire blue but it is not too much of a hoot on a single speed!! Too many soft areas.

I can make it up all the hills in the pits area but I have to do everything just perfect and be on my game to get up Heartbreak ridge when it is soft.[which is most of the time!]

I guess I really wouldn't fit in with any of the groups then.
Mike Cole

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 06:50:14 AM »
Just come out to a group ride.  There are several SS riders doing it.  Or email Wilcox at the email I gave you.  Him and his nephew ride up there all the time on SS.  They just might tear your legs off...   :o :o  ;D ;D ;D

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
I guess I really wouldn't fit in with any of the groups then.

If you ride a SS, average 14MPH, and don't stop for 20 miles- you'd probably be just fine riding in A group. They pretty much just race each other around.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »
Thanks--I bet they would tear my legs off!! I just started riding again a few months ago after not riding since I was a young adult.

I think I could average more on the regular parts of the trail.[maybe] I just usually ride from my house to the pits area and ride that through a few times then back. I like to keep turning around at certain fun spots and re-ride them again and again along the way.  Some days I can cruise real good, while other days I don't quite feel it--age I guess!!

I could ride with the A group for a few miles probably!!!
Mike Cole

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 03:47:05 PM »
Thanks--I bet they would tear my legs off!! I just started riding again a few months ago after not riding since I was a young adult.

I think I could average more on the regular parts of the trail.[maybe] I just usually ride from my house to the pits area and ride that through a few times then back. I like to keep turning around at certain fun spots and re-ride them again and again along the way.  Some days I can cruise real good, while other days I don't quite feel it--age I guess!!

I could ride with the A group for a few miles probably!!!

Re riding parts is good to work on the technical stuff and pick lines, but your endurance will suck if you don't maintain a good pace for 20 miles or so.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
It seems to actually work me out better because I don't stop when I do it and they are the harder sections of the trail--may be my imagination though. Either way it is more fun for me that way--fun is good!
Mike Cole

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:55:40 AM »
I am getting a road bike soon too--that can help with endurance as well right?  We have the 46 mile paved trail right at the end of our street.
Mike Cole

Advertisement: