Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: SM100  (Read 6197 times)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
SM100
« on: September 02, 2007, 10:57:12 PM »
Just a quick post to tell you all that Bob, Matt and myself all completed the sm100.  I will fill more in later (I am exhausted) but let me say it was by far the most demanding thing I have done in  . . . well forever.

The course had some serious climbing and the downhill singletrack was very technical.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: SM100
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:01:08 PM »
Congrats!!! Thats really  unbelievable after having only doing 40 miles today and feeling  whipped. We didn't think you guys would be able to complete it all. Congrats!!!! Thats one big feather to put in the MTB hat!  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 07:00:54 AM »
Harvey, BeerCan, MonkeyBoy, Trek... Congratulations.

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »
good job. You guys are some serious warriors!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 02:55:29 PM »
you guys are studs.  that is amazing that you can do that - i didnt even ride 1/2 that distance and it was monumental to me.  mad mad RESPECT

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 05:19:59 PM »
That is great!

I knew you guys could do it!

Hats off! :)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 11:03:53 AM »
Results posted...

http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/htm/shenandoah_mountain_100/page_sm100.htm

time place BIB Name Sponsor Class

7:05:25 1 3 Jeff Schalk Trek / Volkswagen East Factory Open Men
7:22:47 2 7 Harlan Price Independent Fabrication Open Men
7:24:07 3 1 Floyd Landis Smith & Nephew  Open Men  <------ Hmmmm....Good to see he was there.
8:22:29 14 30 Harvey Minton Independent Fabrication Open Men
11:54:26 228 220 Matt Briskie Team SWAMP SS Men
13:33:26 321 221 Bob Briskie Team SWAMP Open Men
14:22:35 339 80 Sean Humphries RinkSide Sports Clydesdale Men

Wow... that is some enjoyable punishment amongst great names.  After Sean there were still many who finished.  They didn't list the DNF's but I am sure there were several. Great job! 

Full story:  http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb/?id=2007/sep07/sm100_07

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 11:19:06 AM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:24:12 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:04:49 PM »
thanks guys,

well here goes....  like sean said it was one of the hardest if not the hardest thing i have ever done. right before the race started i had to go number 2...  needless to say i did not go and i paid for it......the race was pretty uneventful for me for about the first 38 miles, the climbs were long and tough but i managed fine, matty did good on his singlespeed, but about sag 2 we went our separate ways..... anyways around mile 38 i started getting some really bad cramps in my quads (thigh) muscle, i couldn't pedal without severe pain so i got off the bike and fell over!  so i got up and walked for a bit that seemed to help loosen up the legs....  then came sag 3 this was my savior!!! there was a arthopedic chiropractor (spelling) there and he helped me out a great deal.... i had taken two rounds of sport legs and still could not get rid of the cramping.. so he gave me some rock salt and magnessium pills to take, then 10 minutes later he stretched and massaged my legs so i could continue the race.....well that worked for a bit but then diarreha set in.... lol.. i guess it just wasn't my day...  so between aid station 3 and 4 i crapped like 3 times!!!  sucks with bibs cause you have to empty pockets and take off the jersey..  so one bite on the arse from a horsefly later i am going again and starting to feel a little better i did the first 56 miles in 5 hours and 38 minutes!!!! but........the rest of the race i managed my cramps and crapping to finish..  mile 81 to finish was brutal, i was told there was a couple of rolling hills and then some killer downhill... well it was more like some steady uphill followed by more step uphill and then some downhill mixed with uphill singletrack sections.

the trail was great, i have never ridden downhill sections that technical before, some hiking trails made it even more challenging, and yes i walked probably about 15 miles of the whole course including some singletrack. 

bottom line im sure harvey will read this and laugh, we talked after the race and he was still strong and i was exhausted!!!  but hey this was my first taste of the 100 milers and i can't wait for more! really my goal was just to finish and i did that pretty easily, i finished before the sun set and didn't even need lights.

thanks to all  you guys for the encouragement, looking forward to the racing series around here now.  see ya'll on the trails.

-Bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 12:29:58 PM »
Great job man!!

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »
I made a little report from my gps.  I forgot to turn it on right away so it is missing a few miles.  Also I think the program I used to calculate total climbing is a little off.  I think it used topo lines to figure it out.  I will correct it when I can

http://www.govbt.com/sm100/sm100.htm
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:39:16 PM by BeerCan »

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 01:24:06 PM »
Nice work, guys. Congrats on getting one of the toughest races around under your belts!

BeerCan, we were worried about you. We never saw you come in and never saw you after the last finisher was announced. Glad you made it.

Bob, when you saw me I was being fueled by at least 6 beers and post-race euphoria. ;D  I was very happy with my day.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »
My family was there when I got in.  I looked around for everyone but could not find you guys.  I was spent and hungry and so was my family so we decided to leave.

Congrats on 14th.  I have much respect for your finish time.  This race was a total eye opener.  When I finished I told my wife "well I did it but I will never do it again" and when I woke up the next morning I started planning for next years race  ;D

My goal is to shave 2 hours off my time.  I don't think that will be to hard  :o  but seriously I probably could have come in an hour sooner in this race if I had managed my time better on the course.  Of course the final part of the climb to aid 5 and the last bit up hankey mountain totally smoked me so I may be deluding myself.

I, like Bob totally cramped at mile 37.  For me it was my 2 calf muscles and my left thigh.  I could actually see my calf muscles twitching.  It was probably the one time I seriously gave thought to quitting.  I stopped and ate some succeed caps, drank some water and massaged my OWN calf's  ;D.  After that I felt better but my muscles felt terrible for the rest of the day.

The thing about this race that really struck me was the descents.  I was somewhat prepared for the climbing (mentally not physically) but the downhill took me by surprise.   There were portions that were so scary to me that I would have to stop at the bottom to let my heart slow down.  In particular was a section between aid 3 and aid 4.  I cleared the hardest part which comprised of a steep, super rocky section that had a sharp turn with a small drop thrown in for extra fun.  I was "resting" at the bottom when a rider behind me totally lost it there and cracked his head open.  His buddy rode to the aid station and they called 911.  Hopefully he is all right.  Later on that section someone broke their collar bone trying to make that same turn.  Crazy.

A lot of firsts for me on this ride.
First time in a "real" race
First Mountain century
First time over 10 hours saddle time
First time riding at night
And I am sure there are more.

Some of you know I signed up for this race a long time ago (I was #80).  I started biking after a 26 year hiatus almost exactly 1 year ago.  It was my goal that after 1 year of biking I do a MTB century.  Well I picked a doozy, but let me tell you that crossing that finish line was one of the greatest feelings I have ever had.  The gauntlet is thrown, I hope we have a larger SWAMP turnout next year.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
Here is the only picture I can find so far

Harvey in the race

and here is the link to the rest of them

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/#sm100

-bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 09:36:31 PM »
Hey Bob, Sean
I have this e-mailed to me from MD.
Check if you are in the pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leediehr/sets/72157601862917339/?page=3