Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What's the minimum travel for these trails ?  (Read 2740 times)

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
What's the minimum travel for these trails ?
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:37:38 PM »
I know that the quality of travel is more important than quantity but let's just for reference use Fox Float front forks and what would you say the minimum travel I'd need to adequately tackle trails like north and south abyss ?

I currently run a Bomber MXC on my Enduro and it seems to handle it well with 100mm of front travel.

TIA.

Bill 
Bill

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: What's the minimum travel for these trails ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:15:12 AM »
4" (100mm)should be plenty for all that is out there.  Do you ever notice that you bottom out your front or rear suspension? If so, what are the circumstances when you bottomed out? Front wheel landing? Improper body english going through G-outs? ... Start with adjustments on the fork and shock. If you are heavy, maybe step up to 125 mm.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 11:15:43 AM »
I'm 6'1" 190 and don't bottom out the Bomber but I just purchased a Fox Float F80RL and I'm a little worried it's going to be a little short. At my current level I can attack everything at Boyette except Abyss and a couple of the Loch's so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok with 80mm. But when I get to the level where I'm confident with trails like the Abyss I want to be properly equipped. :)
Bill

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:56:46 AM »
I use every bit of 140mm of travel but i weigh 250 when loaded up with all my gear on - but with a well deseigned bike like a santa cruz blur LT or a Ellsworth Epiphany, you wont notice any noticable loss in pedaling efficiency.  both of these frames are in the 6-6.5 pound range

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 08:14:04 PM »
I've rode alot of stuff out there on a rigid, and regularly ride it all on hardtail (SS FTW!). After awhile you learn to use a little finess instead of bulling over everything. I'm faster on a FS bike for sure, but it is good to relearn so of the finess and good line picking that you need on a SS for sure.

I learned more one day than ever. My freehub quit on me way in the back of the TOE, so I had to walk out. Well I started riding down stuff as much as I could, because walking sucks. I learned more that morning about being smooth and picking good momentum lines than I had learned in 4 months of riding. It was kinda crazy, but having to walk out like that made me a much better rider.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

scooter

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 09:13:46 PM »
80mm on the anthem get's r done just fine. As stated previously hard tails tackle the abyss all the time. Single speeder's on top of that. Shock and fork technology is so far ahead of what it was just a couple years ago. That 100mm you are sporting will be plenty.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 11:21:58 PM »
No suspension in back for me, and you see guys tearing up Alafia on rigid single speeds. I'm looking to join the dark side with a 5 inch bike soon though, the Ibex Ignition Super 08 model.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 02:17:14 PM »
I have to agree with the walking the trail and the SS comments. I often will walk some of the areas at Croom to help me know the sweet and tough spots. On my SS I have to do everything almost perfect to get down and then back up a lot of spots--I like the challenge though. 
Mike Cole

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
I've rode alot of stuff out there on a rigid, and regularly ride it all on hardtail (SS FTW!). After awhile you learn to use a little finess instead of bulling over everything. I'm faster on a FS bike for sure, but it is good to relearn so of the finess and good line picking that you need on a SS for sure.

Back in the day when dual squishies were non-existent or very expensive, everybody learned this, then when they went FS they were even smoother. I think a lot of newbies never learn the art of good line picking and being generally smooth because they have the suspension to fall back on.

I learned more one day than ever. My freehub quit on me way in the back of the TOE, so I had to walk out. Well I started riding down stuff as much as I could, because walking sucks. I learned more that morning about being smooth and picking good momentum lines than I had learned in 4 months of riding. It was kinda crazy, but having to walk out like that made me a much better rider.

So you inadvertently rode the TOE on a fixed gear?!? People who ride fixies swear they do wonders for smoothness and skills, but I think you've gotta be a little crazy to take one off road.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »

So you inadvertently rode the TOE on a fixed gear?!? People who ride fixies swear they do wonders for smoothness and skills, but I think you've gotta be a little crazy to take one off road.

And even crazier to race one for 100 miles off road!!!  those guys where nuts.
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 08:58:50 PM »

No, it might have been better fixed though. I couldn't pedal at all, it would just freewheel. So I had to try to maintain momentum as much as possible to avoid walking.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 05:03:29 PM »
I did that one day after my friends chain broke. Rather than let him trail behind I did the no-pedal thing all the way back with him. It was actually pretty fun and a good learning experience.
Mike Cole

Advertisement: