Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Help with Abyss Drop In  (Read 2139 times)

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
Help with Abyss Drop In
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:45:10 PM »
Can anyone give me some pointers on the drop into the North Abyss ? I keep drifting to the right and either nearly smack the rock or get into the soft stuff to the right of the rock and crash. Thankfully they have all been soft landings but it's getting annoying rolling down the hill. I'd say my average is about 50/50 crash to clear ratio which is not acceptable.  ;D I can tackle the rest of the trail with relative ease with the exception of one climb out. The big one where there are like four large flat roots on the climb out almost straight up right at the top. I'm pretty sure it's mental considering sometimes I slice right down in but I'd like some good advice to get me over or well into this drop. :) 

Thanks

Bill 
Bill

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Help with Abyss Drop In
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:19:11 AM »
Don't start from right in front of it.  Go back toward the double track road and give yourself plenty of room to clip in way before you drop in.  Look past the entrance as you start to drop in and you will be fine.  There has been several brake huggers going into that drop and is getting soft.

That last drop with those roots on north Abyss still gives me trouble.  I make it 1 out of 3 times.  I only make it if I pedal hard on the way down and remember to slightly lift my front tire as I lean forward when I get to those roots.  I like going up on the left side by the tree where you can avoid one of the other roots.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 06:22:14 AM »
Sometimes when I drop in there, I enter from an angle and don't  go straight in. If I don't correct my line right away it makes for some 'on the edge riding'. Also don't be afraid to ride right over the top of the obstacles and technical aspects of the trail. The front wheel will roll right over all that stuff. The suspension will absorb anything  out there. Thats a nasty place to crash.  Remember, don't drag the brakes!!!!  ;D

ps.  I don't mean to just plow into things with the front wheel. Use your upper body strength to lift up on the handle bars and articulate the bike through the tech stuff. We don't need any more BenjiBBad special tacos out there!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:28:10 AM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 08:23:07 AM »
Look where you want go and keep your weight back.  It only takes a second or so of looking at what you don't want to hit to hit it.  With your weight hovering over a pivotal point on your bike so as to keep it playing correctly with gravity you should do fine.  The rest is just don't focus on anything other than where you want to go.  Glance where you are; look where you want to go.

The roots keep to the left a little with good momentum going into the drop.  Slightly pull up on the fork as you are just going to touch the roots and pedal your way up without too much pulling on the handlebars.  Just enough to clear the root.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:02:02 AM by Garry »

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »
If your a man you just wheelie up the whole thing!!
Mike Cole

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »
Sometimes when I drop in there, I enter from an angle and don't  go straight in. If I don't correct my line right away it makes for some 'on the edge riding'. Also don't be afraid to ride right over the top of the obstacles and technical aspects of the trail. The front wheel will roll right over all that stuff. The suspension will absorb anything  out there. Thats a nasty place to crash.  Remember, don't drag the brakes!!!!  ;D

ps.  I don't mean to just plow into things with the front wheel. Use your upper body strength to lift up on the handle bars and articulate the bike through the tech stuff. We don't need any more BenjiBBad special tacos out there!  ;D

I think I was just being over confident and hitting it a little fast.  The rest of the trails were in good condition and I was pushing it.  Remeber to ride within your limits but don't be afraid to take a chance!!
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 04:26:18 PM »
I didn't mean anything  by it BenjiBbad. I was only making reference back to my statement about rolling over anything out there with your front wheel and then corrected myself by saying that you have to pull up  and articulate a little, and with the fresh memory of you taco -ing out there, I tossed your name into the whole fray. How did you taco  that wheel? The details, did you run into something ...?  go over one those ledges and nose wheelied?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:28:13 PM »
the taco was a good thing right?  you ended up with new wheels.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »
No offence taken.  It was the first real drop into north abyss, I got some good speed made the first right turn clean and came out faster than when I had gone in.  The next left came up quick and I was ill prepared, In stead of hamming the brakes I just leaned into the turn more trying not to loose too much speed.  I front tire washed out off the side of the trail and hit a rock, jabbing the handle bar into my gut as I endo'd.  Landed on my head on a rock and woke up staring at alge on the rock with a crack in my helmet.  I tried to get back on and ride, but the front wheel wouldn't move, thats the point I realized I was pretty screwed.  Thanks to Chris Williams for driving me out of there.  I met up with him at the randy's/west medow intersection.  Otherwise It would have been a long walk out.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Advertisement: