Author Topic: UST pro's and con's?  (Read 3796 times)

scooter

Re: UST pro's and con's?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »
Having ridden or should I say walked behind Brian on several diificult climbs, I almost bent to the HOWL of the weirwolf when ordering this new wheel/tire combo. But in the end I could'nt get past the endless that the Conti line offers on most of their tires. Where most tires feature a more square shoulder (tread to side wall transition) the Conti's are a very round transition with the knobs following that contour further down the sidewall. It just makes sense that this endless edge would allow for more bike lean and less likelyhood of an early washout. My only concern with the new verticals is the overly tall sidewall knobs compared to my explorers. I hope they will not prove to be to squishy due to their height.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »
I've found the knobs on the Conti Vertical Pro's to squirm a bit on hardpack but are otherwise a pretty decent tire in all other conditions.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

scooter

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 04:11:02 PM »
Sounds good Bill, thanks for the feedback. :)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »
those weirwolf's get incredible traction when climbing, no doubt about it. But they gave up too much in other areas, so I started trying other tires. So far the conti explorer pro provides the best balance of traction, cornering, and rolling resistance that suits my style of riding.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

scooter

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 06:37:56 PM »
I second that. Any time I have failed to make a climb was not due to tire slipage (more like skill slipage). I have only had the bike washout from under me once, and that was the first day out on the tires and caused it as I was pushing the bike lean envelope to see just how low I could go :D Now I know so I don't go that low no mo ;D