Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: uphill jump  (Read 4263 times)

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
uphill jump
« on: September 08, 2007, 07:14:07 AM »
I made an interesting discovery the other day--

Since I ride the pits a lot at Croom I do a lot of downhills that go straight into uphills. Well me and a friend were messin around and I discovered something. If I do a bunny hop while going fast uphill I can cover about 6 or so feet of ground without touching. And since I am not touching the ground on that part of the uphill there is no uphill resistance. When done level and properly I can get uphill easier and with more speed and not to mention more fun!!
Mike Cole

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
Re: uphill jump
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 10:27:33 PM »
Ah, but if you were shifted into a higher gear you could keep most of that momentum going right on up the hill, putting power down all the way...
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:12:22 PM »
With certain exceptions, you are pretty much always faster with your wheels on the ground and your feet pedaling.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:14:27 AM »
word!
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 05:15:19 PM »
"Ah" but I don't have a higher gear.  "with certain exceptions"--this would be one of those.

This perticular spot is what we call the "big dipper" is is a real quick and steep downhill for about 40 feet then it goes  right back up the same way as soon as you get to the bottom.

It is hard to do it just right but when I do I fly up the last 6 feet of it and roll out with more speed than what I have when I pedal those last 6 feet.

You gear heads need to come show me how it is done!! Set me straight!!
Mike Cole

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »
As I put in another thread on here--most of what I write is purely in jest. Just wanted to make sure you guys knew that. I don't think I am a cool guy or great rider--I just like to mess around
Mike Cole

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 07:40:13 PM »
Just because wheels on the ground and feet pedaling is typically the fastest way to get through stuff, its definitely not the funnest :)  Sometimes I think I go faster through the trail when I'm not in the absolute best of shape as during those times I'm just concentrating on getting through the trail and don't have the energy to look for stuff to get airborne on. 
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 04:53:08 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean---that BMXer in me won't go away!!! I am always looking for something to jump while I am out there. Then I turn around and jump it again! Like you said fun.  I am not ever gonna be into racing so I might as well do what is most fun while I am out there.
Mike Cole

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »
We've got to get you out to Santos (watch the 2nd half of this clip)

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »
Sweet! Is anybody allowed to ride there?? I am a bit old to do what a few of those guys were doing but I would certainly have a bunch of fun.   That can't be too far from where I live.
Mike Cole

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 12:32:39 AM »
I think I am gonna get up early and go there today. Have to dig up my helmet for this one!
Not very often I venture out of my neck of the woods.
Mike Cole

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 06:48:49 AM »
After watching that video, I  am not surprised that puts a little spring in your step, spikes a little tone in your posts, gets you all excited...   ;D  I would recommend  the helmet and any other safety equipment you might have.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »
Some of those guys get some serious air, I used to bmx as a kid...........such a long long time ago. That stuff is fun. ;D

Did you say that you had to "dig up" your helmet? Say it isn't true that you ride without one?  :o  Anyone can get hurt doing this stuff, that is half of the fun. Riding on the edge. 

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 11:59:48 AM »
I just got back from Santos!!! One word--sick!!

The freeride area at Vortex is awesome. I did the run on the right hand side. The ones to the left looked like nobody hardly ever uses them--they are pretty gnarly. It took me about 2 runs then I was able to clear all the jumps in the line. I was very surprised that I picked up on it faily quick after all these years. I rode my 24" and it was perfect.

But I was especially happy to find that area is perfect for my mountainboard. That is the fisrt set of downhill dirt jumps that I have found in Florida. BMX tracks around here are never downhill---and on a mountainboard you need downhill to keep your momentum. It was like finding a treasure!!

And yeah, I never wear a helmet at Croom and I push it to beyond the limit quite often. I know, I know....
Mike Cole

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 12:49:41 PM »
Awesome- glad you liked it there! The left side sees plenty of use, though not as regular as the right. The rainy season really did a number on the Pit this year, lots of washouts. They're planning to fix the jumps and pump track and seal them with a special clay. The ABA is also working towards putting a national-level BMX track over there, I think in that field just outside the pit.

Per the sign outside the fence to the Pit- helmets are required to ride there, and full-face helmets are recomended. The agency to which the land belongs has said on no uncertain terms that the area will be bulldozed the first time someone gets hurt out there while not wearing a helmet.

Advertisement: