Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: School is now in session  (Read 1144 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
School is now in session
« on: September 09, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »
      I got schooled Saturday at Alafia. After Chisel and Sweetness left I went out to ride more miles. Cruised through North Creek passing all the riders that were out there. Feeling pretty good. The head was swelling  a little bit becuase I was the fast dog on the trail. Cruising by everybody, waiting politely for them all to pull over. No un-necessary pressure. I really didn't want to go too fast because now my head so big, I was afraid of maybe getting lodged between  some of the trees along the trail side.  ;D  As I exited North Creek and crossed the road for that little trail that connects over to River Loop, I heard a rider coming up behind me. I wasn't going fast at all, I was taking it slow until I crossed those round logs that somebody put on the trail.   ??? Now the rider was right on my tire. He didn't say anything, nor did I. I was going pretty slow because those logs were right around the corner. I crossed the logs and opened up some whoop ass.
     I think the other guy was surprised, because up to this point I was going at a newbie pace. It was all out. I opened up theafterburners and was tearing it up. I busted a small gap on his ass and for a second there I was feeling pretty good. Then he closed the gap and was on me like white on rice. The pace was all that I had. All out. This is a fast trail, with hard, slicing turns. Swooping wide on the turns,  right up along the sides of trees and their root systems, positioning yourself to get the max speed  for the next bend up ahead. I'm riding brand new tires, skinnies, that are not giving me the control that I am accustomed to. Through one sharp turn, the tires dig in too much and I do a small momentum killing slide. The rider behind me almost crashes into me because of my mistake. I dig out  of the corner and put the hammer down again. Crap!! I'm thinking to myself. I'm losing it. All of a sudden I don't feel so strong. The presure is on me, this guy is riding me hard. I'm worried now about making another mistake as fatigue is increasing exponentially with every  turn and small segment of the trail. I can't go on much farther. This is too much. I see a straight section ahead, and the trail widens and I pull up and off to the side and mumble out some silly ass words like "go ahead man, it's all yours". Like he didn't know it was all his all the time, he was just waiting for me to get my slow ass out of his way. The other rider instantly passed me and accelerated  to go even faster  and he was gone and completely out of sight within 3 seconds. I never got a look at him or the bike, but he was wearing either a yellow jersey with a black stripe, or a black jersey with a yellow stripe. I was so worked I couldn't even mentally function to get a good look. Thinking about it now, that other rider was kind of rude. The least he should have done was offer me a coke to go along with that serving of humble pie  he gave me.   ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
Re: School is now in session
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 03:22:05 PM »
oh, that was you Ells? I gotta admit you putt up a good fight, but it's the bike that did ya in.

jk, it wasn't me. sounds like fun, It's always good to have a challenge.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
Re: School is now in session
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 04:22:45 PM »
So... you're saying were too tired to notice his sweet rigid single-speed  ???
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Advertisement: