SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 04:54:42 PM] Scott: DanO

[Yesterday at 04:57:29 PM] jdk: likes

[Yesterday at 04:58:12 PM] Scott: NINERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

[Yesterday at 04:59:05 PM] jdk: well who doesn't relaly

[Yesterday at 04:59:07 PM] jdk: really

[Yesterday at 04:59:53 PM] Scott: Hitler loves them

[Yesterday at 05:00:23 PM] jdk: dude

[Yesterday at 05:00:24 PM] Scott: if he had gotten his way, we would all be riding them

[Yesterday at 05:04:21 PM] Scott: even billnye

[Yesterday at 05:10:08 PM] billnye: I actually rode a NINERZZZZZ uni for a while, borrowed from my buddy

[Yesterday at 05:11:19 PM] billnye: much better on Boyette's trails than most of Alafia

[Yesterday at 05:11:59 PM] billnye: but the geared hub is better still, giving a choice between faster-than-29 and better-technical-than-29

[Yesterday at 05:35:31 PM] Scott: Do it BN

[Yesterday at 05:40:47 PM] billnye: go back to NINERZZZZZ ?

[Yesterday at 05:44:06 PM] Scott: NO!!!!!!!!!!! Just Do it, get yer swerve on

[Yesterday at 05:45:10 PM] Scott: HEY Paintboy, were the Red trails used in the moto?

[Yesterday at 05:46:06 PM] Scott: Gonna ride tommorow, hittin yellows for sure but would like to add reds and southern blues if they are'nt torn up

[Yesterday at 05:54:36 PM]  * billnye obtains swerves, applies them appropriately

[Yesterday at 05:54:42 PM] billnye: home time, bbiab

[Yesterday at 08:02:04 PM] mmountainbiker: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

[Yesterday at 08:30:20 PM] mmountainbiker: j/k lucky

Advanced search  

News:

Alafia Fat Tire Festival (Nov 6-9, 2009) Event registration for 2009 closed October 9th.  Event Information here.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: UST pro's and con's?  (Read 2683 times)

scooter

UST pro's and con's?
« on: September 09, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
Hails ya'll, I am begining to research to aquire parts for my trance build up and found a great deal on some mavic 819 / XT hub wheel sets that are UST. What would be the benefits or detractors from going UST. This will be strictly a trail/epic type of bike.

benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: UST pro's and con's?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 03:42:37 PM »
plus lower operating preasure
Con heavier tires

you might be better off going with a regular rim like the Industry nines  ;D and then putting stans in them, with a non ust tire.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Outside Sport/813 Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »
plus lower operating preasure
Con heavier tires

you might be better off going with a regular rim like the Industry nines  ;D and then putting stans in them, with a non ust tire.

heaqvier tire but no tube and no stans fluid and no stan's strip - I had a stans setup and hated it - flatted like crazy burped out pressure - went 819's with a true UST setup and have have no trouble what so ever

RiskEverything

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 04:24:56 PM »
I run a UST rim and tire with Stans fluid in it and haven't flatted since.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

scooter

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 04:33:21 PM »
FactorE, how have those 819's been holding up for you?

BillT

• Death Blossom!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »
I have a UST rear wheel and tire on my Blur and I have experienced nothing but success with it.  I was able to inflate the first time with just a hand pump and I've yet to have any burps or other strange pressure loss with the setup.
You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Aramada.

scooter

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 08:25:22 PM »
Do you run a sealant in a UST rim? Is the presta valve similar to a stan's setup?

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
the 819s have a presta valve that screws in and i have wrecked like crazy and ride rough and the 819s have stayed true

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 08:54:37 PM »
I've built up 3 sets of wheels for myself using 819 rims. They are very, very strong rims, I'm 220+ and these wheels have taken some big hits. I run them on my hardtail and SS, and sometimes the rear wheel hits really hard when ya mistime something. I've got about 750 miles on my 819 combo on my FS bike. I went through a period of breaking spokes (build error on my part, didn't have a tensiometer at the time) and the wheel never went out of true.

The only con is they weigh a little more than some of the other alternatives. But after messing with the stan's goo a few times, it's a price I'll gladly pay. I rarely ever get a flat either, so that is an added bonus.
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

scooter

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 09:45:21 PM »
That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. These will be used mainly for mindless, wreckless abandoned type riding and I like the fact you guys have not had problems with these puppies coming untrue. Bluesky has them laced up to XT hubs with DT spokes for under $300 shipped. I don't think I can go wrong here.

egmuni

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 12:28:32 PM »
I'm not sold on tubeless, yet. I don't see what the great big advantage of it is? ???  I hear...run lower pressure, no pinched flats,etc. But, for me, I've never really had problems with pinched flats or flats in general while running conventional wheels and tubes. My new bike came UST ready, but I elected to keep using tubes.  Now, all my buddies are running UST and have zero problems and no flats.  I just haven't been convinced about the technology.  Anyone care to enlighten me?  ;D

Good Luck on your new build!
Rick

Harvey

• Ride Guide
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
I'm a UST guy. I don't believe in using products in a way that they weren't intended, and regular tires are designed to be supported by a tube. I know a lot of people run regular tires with Stan's, but to each their own. I do put Stan's juice in my UST tires for that extra measure of protection. Flats have become all but a thing of the past.

When I got home from the Fool's Gold race I found a nail stuck in my front tire. Thinking back, I did crash (front wheel washout) and the bead came unseated, but I shot some CO2 in and it sealed right up. The nail probably caused the tire to lose some air, then the washout because of low air caused the bead to come unseated. I didn't know about the nail until I got home and I rode about 25 miles after the incident.

I threw a set of regular tires on my bike a few weeks ago with tubes. Dave cut a new section in at Razorback and I rode it for the first time last weekend. There were thorns everywhere. My bike is hanging on the wall with 2 flat tires. I highly doubt this would've happened with a UST or good Stan's setup.

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 02:19:49 PM »
UST + STAN'S juice = rarely a flat

EllsRider

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »
If you keep your bikes tires on the trails  and not in the bushes  or fresh-cut, you will hardly ever  have a flat tire, especially using conventional tires. Keep in mind that conventional tires and tubes are much heavier than some of the race tires and can withstand more. Cut your tire weight in half, and the trade-off is the possibilty of more  flats. Now  with Stans, you can have half the weight and no flats. Best of all worlds in the universe (not just both worlds).   ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

BillT

• Death Blossom!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 03:50:49 PM »
The advantage of the UST setup is that you can run lower pressure (so more tire grip) without fear of pinch flat and you lose some energy robbing friction between the tire and tube.  I'm pretty sold on the system and will be converting the rest of my wheels to UST rims when they come time to be replaced.  My only concern is that there are not a ton of UST tires in the 2.35 - 2.75 range (Michelin are the only ones that come to mind) for when I venture out of Florida and hit some DH trails.
You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Aramada.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 24 queries.