Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Customer service rant  (Read 3030 times)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Customer service rant
« on: September 10, 2007, 05:58:25 PM »
I have decided to get a new road bike and I have started the process of seeing whats out there.  Today because I had a little time I decided to go to university bike center (UBC) to check out the cannondales.   I was in the store for over twenty minutes and could not get one employee to give me the time of day.  It's not like they were loaded with customer either, I counted 4 employee's and I was one of 2 customers.  At one point I hovered near the counter where 2 of the employees were conversing to try and get their attention.  One kinda looked at me and then went back to his conversation.  I was about to ask for some help but changed my mind.  If they want to ignore me I can do a damn fine job ignoring them back.

It's not like this is an isolated incident either.  I have gotten this same exact feeling almost every time I go in there, like I have to beg for help.  After today I think I will just avoid UBC altogether, plenty of other bike shops want my money and are actually willing to help me to get it.

[/rant]
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Customer service rant
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:21:01 PM »
That is sad.  They missed out on a potential sale.  I'm one of those people that if you take good care of me, I will keep coming back no matter if you're a little bit more expensive than the other guy.  My LBS knows me by name and they takes great care of me.  That's because they know that they are going to juice my wallet for a little bit more almost every time I'm there. ;D  The bad thing is that your experience happens more often than not almost everywhere.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »
Dang Beercan. Tough breaks.  Personally, I see a little humor in it. The problem is you are going in there looking like a hockey player instead of a cyclist. Get the old bic shaver out, or uhm, a 12 pack of bic shavers and trim up the Sasquatch fashion look  ;D  and give them another shot. No excuse, I know. Everybody deserves to be treated equally.  I get alot of the same stuff every day because I am sweated up and wearing crappy construction worker clothes. I have always been treated good in there. I think they know me as more of a looker than  a buyer.  ;D  so I appreciate a little distance. Looking at Cannondales?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 08:24:39 PM »
I know how you feel, I have gotten the same service from UBC and just the opposite from AJ's.  Dave,  Darren, and all of their employees have treated me great.  Before I bought my bike, I went to UBC and AJ's, and customer service was like night and day.  At AJ's, I have seen them treat every customer as that, A CUSTOMER.  I might have gotten a better deal at UBC, but AJ's sealed the deal with their customer service.  I have heard from several people that UBC caters to the yuppie crowd, and from what I have seen and heard, I think it is true.

Kenny
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »
I have also gotten the exact same service, or lack there of at UBC, I will only go in there if there is no other alternative. My LBS is Oliver's Cycle Sports here in New Tampa. There service is exeptional!  I can always count on them to do the right thing and to do it quickly.

I have had similar experiences with Carrollwood Bike Emporium. They too have exceptional service.

If you really feel the need to communicate your frustrations further, you can review them at MTBR.COM.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:50:53 PM »
Drop by St. Pete to Revolution Bicycles and take a look at Specialized and Giants offerings.  You get service and fit to make sure the bike is right for you.

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 11:26:04 AM »
I second Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium. I've been dealing with them since they first started out as AJ Barnes and IMO, they have the best customer service in this area and they definitely value their clients! When I was in the market for my Colnago...eventhough they weren't a dealer for the brand...I went to them first to see if it's possible that they could get the bike. Unfortunately, they couldn't and I had to buy away from them. The shop that I bought by Colnago has lifetime service on the bike, but I choose to bring it to the guys at CBE for service.  Drop by and visit David & Brian...actually everyone in there is great...I believe you will not be disappointed!
Rick

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 01:20:51 PM »
As a newbie I frequent these forums for information, but had never really planned on registering or posting until now.

I have been to UBC several times as it is located very near to me and have nothing bad to say about them at all. In fact, I found their service to be outstanding. I recently purchased my first bike and this was one of the many shops I looked around in prior to my purchase. I was amazed that their staff even paid any attention to me as I am your typical college student and generally college students aren't known for spending a lot of money. The one flaw in their operation is that an employee had me sold on a particular bike, then realized he couldn't obtain any more until the next model year was released.

Along with UBC I shopped around at Oliver's and CBE, which both also offered great service. I was and still am amazed at how good the service in this industry has been, for me at least.

In the end I made a split second purchasing decision while passing by Bikeworks in Brandon. They gave me what I thought was the best deal, had great service, and really made me feel like they valued my business. Within days of purchasing my bike I snapped a chain link and they replaced the chain quickly and free of charge, even taking another bike being worked on off the rack to get it done and me out the door. Going back there for service has been great and I would suggest stopping in to everyone. They have a customer for life.

In the end though it seems odd to me that the UBC staff could have treated you poorly after they were so nice to me. It seems like the employees in the bicycle industry have been very helpful and i am surprised and impressed by them every time I walk into a shop.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:30:39 PM »
Have to agree with. Every shop I've been in, I thought the service was ok. Beercan had a bum deal. I don't think it is the norm in any way.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 04:22:07 PM »
beercan's right... some shops are just better than others... some shops have personality and some you are just a customer.... i feel that way when i go into UBC but at AJ's its like walking into a bar where everybody knows your name!!  LOL...

anyways..

two cents.
-bob 8)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »
I am glad that you guys get good service at UBC.  I will state however that if this had been the only time I felt like this I would not have bothered to post.  I have been to most if not all of the bike stores in the area and have always been treated right, with the exception of UBC.  Maybe I have just had the bad fortune of coming in at the wrong time, every time, but it my discussions with other riders I have heard similar complaints.  EllsRider may be right in the fact that I don't really "look" like a biker, but that should not matter.  If it is the case (and I am not saying it is) my "looks" have cost them a 2k plus sale.  Maybe I'll try and experiment, I'll shave and wear slacks and a nice shirt and then see how they treat me.  ;D
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »
I have had nothing but good experiences with UBC. They where awesome to work with for my pedals and my old mans Unicycle.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 04:47:33 PM »
This is not the first time that I have heard that about UBC, I also know a couple of people who love that shop, but they are people who have been customers for years.
I will also say that I went into AJ's once, and only once. I was ignored. I believe based upon everything that I have ever heard about them, that it was an isolated incident. If they were closer to me, I would probably give them another try.

It has happened to me more than once at UBC and I can probably name 8-10 people that have had a similar experience. If there is smoke there is probably fire. ;)

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »
During this evenings ride, my buddy had asked me where I bought my bike and how I liked the shop. Now, I know he's been using UBC for several years, because he likes Cannondale. But, out of the blue, he told me that's his last time going to them.  He complained that they're tough to work with and he didn't speak highly of the service dept.  He kind of felt like he should have been treated better, especially for giving business to them for years.  I personally don't have an opinon on UBC, because I rarely go in there.  Again, the guys at CBE are great.  I also like the people at ChainWheel Drive in Clearwater, but they're a little too far from home.
Rick

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 10:27:09 PM »
i had the same experience as beercan at UBC - great experiences at AJ's, Flatland, Spokes, Carrolwood, Chainwheel drive and Olivers

Advertisement: