Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: leg cramps  (Read 1537 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
leg cramps
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:40:21 PM »
I havent changed anything in my diet or fluid intake - went for a 25 mile road ride this am and road at a moderate pace.  i put in maybe an 80% effort and took in the regular gels and fluids that i always do.  i was fine on the ride and never felt really taxed.  sitting at work today i have one of my quads twitching and cramping all day.   i even followed up the ride with a recovery drink. 

what can cause this to happen?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: leg cramps
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:48:29 PM »
Is you being nervous and starting to look for a way out of the Tally Time trial race this weekend.    ;D ;D ;D

Was your "fluid" intake in the form of plain water or was it more sports drink?  At Santos, I cramped even though I was taking plenty of gels with electrolites but a few were not washdown/diluted plenty so my stomach could use it.  By the time my stomach had received plain water enough to start digesting the gels, it was too late since cramps had set in.

Also, hopefully you didn't drink one of those BURNS drink that we got from Eddie.  They help to give you a boost but he was right about dehydrating you a bit faster then normal.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:50:37 PM »
i just use those like 2-3 hours into a ride if needed - it is weird, i didnt do anything different and i didnt cramp at all during the ride.  it was a easy ride really.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:29:40 PM »
Without knowing what you've taken in during and after your ride, it sounds like your electrolyte balance is probably off. It's hotter than hell (literally) and you sweat a lot (at least I do). You lose tons of electrolytes in your sweat (primarily sodium) and if you take in only water you're not replacing everything that's been lost. I only drink water on recovery rides this time of year. Anything over 1 hour and anything over a recovery effort, I'm drinking Gatorade.

It could be some kind of weird muscle pull too. I've had those kind of involuntary twitches before too, with no explanation as to why it happened.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:51:32 PM »
it just dawned on me - i just thought of the perfect new bike product...a gel that you can eat for electrolytes, use as a lubricant on your chain and also use to shave with.  an all in one type gel. if you read the shave or not shave thread you can see there are already lubes that are safe to eat....this could be my golden ticket.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »
it just dawned on me - i just thought of the perfect new bike product...a gel that you can eat for electrolytes, use as a lubricant on your chain and also use to shave with.  an all in one type gel. if you read the shave or not shave thread you can see there are already lubes that are safe to eat....this could be my golden ticket.

You are crazy funny!!  LMAO!!!
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Advertisement: