Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: FCS #1`Tallahassee  (Read 9433 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
FCS #1`Tallahassee
« on: September 16, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »
813 made a great showing - some swampers on the podium as well....more later - i am beat - pre-ride + time trial + race = tired as hell.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: FCS #1`Tallahassee
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 07:30:24 AM »
It was a punishing trail. Not technical  but deceptively tiring. It also had the first stream crossing during a race that I have been a part of. This stream crossing probably cost The Man Formally Known as the Idster a podium spot, as he suffered chain suck twice and lost his #3 position falling back to almost last place, and then recovering to finish in the top 10. Tough breaks, but thats racing.He used a heavier oil lubricant which likely contributed to his problems. I used a thin spray lube and had no problems at all. The stream was almost a foot deep and with the riders blasting through the water was splashing up waist high at times. An interesting mix to the race.
      The course started out with an easy wide trail that allowed for easy easy passing. It had a gradual climb to it but was big ring  blasting for about 1.5 miles before it narrowed. There was alot of climbing through-out the course and this made for tired riders as the course went on. One of the myths of MTB is that if you have a long climb, at least  you will have a nice long downhill. I don't know how Dave Berger of Gone Riding did it, but he proved this myth wrong. He set this course up and I think there was a 2-1 ratio of climbing vs. downhill.  This was going to be  part of my race strategy after pre-riding on Saturday. Pace myself, pass everybody on lap 2 when they are all sucking air. I figure they would extend too much energy  on the easy section, hit the climbs and then fall apart.  It almost worked for me. I found myself in the unfortunate  position of seeking out the oxygen tent myself on lap 2, doing my best fish face imitaion, trying to inhale as much atmosphere as possible and I didn't have the strength to close as hard as I wanted.  The course winded on  through the forest and road crossing, back into the forest and then dumping us all out into a field. This may have been a power line field, I wasn't taking in all the scenery so I can't say for certain. We snaked our way back and forth through the field and there were some longer climbs in this area where if you had the power, it was easy pickings for passing people. After the field, back into the woods for some nice sweeping singletrack, then into the parking area, onto theBMX track, through the parking area  and into the finish line. For Beginners, two laps, approximately 6.5 miles each lap.   
       I had an interesting start. I wasn't going out for the lead so I didn't put any pressure on myself. I was mid-pack. The first 100 yards was downhill and then there was a right hand turn, around an oak tree onto a gravel road. As the pack approached the turn  we were 5 wide, tire to tire front and rear. I had the inside line approaching the tree and somebody thought  they would pass me on the inside. They miscalculated with their speed and line of approach and decided to go to the right of the tree instead of the turning around on the  left side of the tree. He was going too fast as he tried to blast his way past, locked up his rear wheel and tried to negotiate the turn. Rocks were flying everywhere as he was out of control. He missed the tree and managed the turn but because his speed wass too high and he had his wheel locked up, he fishtailed through the turn and went tumbling and bouncing on the road. As he passed me going into the turn, I was laughing to myself because I knew there was about to be some shiznits so I was ready and I had slowed waiting for the spectacle, and sure enough this guy was bouncing and rolling right in front of me. His bike bounced and was flipping around and my front tire actually pushed his bike off the track, like a snow plow clearing the road. I was watching him eat dirt and taking those rocks on his hip and I was thinking that has got to hurt like he$%! 
        I took it slow and easy the first 3 miles, riding at the rear of my class. Dropped my water bottle and went back to get it. No pressure to go all out I thought. Once we we hit the field and other open areas, I was beginning to pass riders as some were already tiring. I blasted by a line of 5-6 riders in one area as I engaged the big ring and opened it up as they were recovering. That felt pretty good and was what I thought I would be able to do. My strategy was working.  It was a tiring course and my batteries were getting drained. On lap 2 I got behind two riders who  were picking up the pace themselves. They looked like they had the same plan as me. I rode behind them for 3 miles and then one of them tired and got dropped. The other guy kept going. I was really starting to hurt at this point and was thinking to myself that I did not have the juice to pull myself back into a podium spot. I was struggling with my bottles and my  gu shots and decided to stop at around mile 4.5 on lap 2, take a big long drink, an energy shot, switch my empty bottle to my back pocket and then hit again. No one passed me  while I did this but two riders were coming up and I jumped out on the trail right before they passed. I felt better for stopping because I was having a hard time being able to take a long enough drink to satisfy  the thirst, and the fumbling around with the bottles was slowing me down anyways. I knew I had 2+ miles to go, the hardest climbs still in front of me and I thought I was in 9 -10 place. I went into the field area again and took the first climb as hard as I could. This drained me and I felt like I was toast. There were still two more climbs in the field and I wanted to stop and rest  to catch my breath but I knew I couldn't let that happen. I spun my way through and got back into the forest. I caught back up to the rider that was in front of me at the beginning of lap 2. I rode his tire  for a bit, we passed 4 -5 other riders, most of these were younger guys who had started before us. This guy in front of me wasn't tiring and I was thinking that he was going to last and I was going to go one on one with him on the BMX track. Mentally I was already planning my lines and where to make a move... and then he broke. He pulled up and said go, man. Pass me. I went by and he tried to follow but I gapped him pretty good. As I entered the parking area, there was another rider I could see just  entering the BMX track. He had about 25 seconds on me. I hammered it. Big ring blasting as I hit the BMX track. I wanted to catch this guy bad. I was hoping he would slow down. He maintained a good pace. I was closing the gap, closer and closer. The BMX track goes back and forth like 5 times, so you can see the other rider and measure if you aregetting closer. I was closing the gap but he still had10 seconds on me. As we left the BMX track, there was a long straight away, sweeping left turn, then a right hand turn into the finish gate, a slight up hill. I was blasting through all this and just as he finished his right turn for the  30 yards up hill to the finish line I came  into the turn at full speed, big ring, but I still had to turn and this lost all my speed and by the time I was cranking again he was at the line.
         I thought I had finished in 7-9 place but when the numbers were posted, I was able to take 5'th place. Not as good as I wanted but all things considered, I was very happy and felt fortunate to be #5. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 07:43:02 AM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
FactorE went out in the Beginner class instead of the novice and he did really good. He was killing it at the end on the BMX track. Now we have to talk him into doing Reddick.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:01:07 AM »
Great recollection of the race!  Enjoyable read.  Sorry you didn't make the podium, but not because you didn't give it a run.  Awesome job man!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:05:21 AM »
Just for the record, I was up there at the podium, it's just that I had to stand next  to the wood in the grass  ;D. A little teaser for  the 4'th and 5'th place finishers. A token they throw at us so we can get the feel of what it's like to be able to stand on the wood podium. It was worth it because the goodie bag was awesome!   ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 08:10:01 AM »
The cool morning air made for a great race atmosphere.  At the start I had the hole shot then I could not get my left foot to clip in so I dropped back to around #10 after we crossed the creek and got onto the open long hill climbs some other riders were all excited and were attacking hard, but I knew better than to chase. One by one I was picking them off and then I saw sweetness digging the chain out of his chainstay. @&&$*# chain suck!! he yells as I ride by. I felt for him But I've got to go!  By mile five I catch what appeared to be the lead group and they wre slowed up by a couple of slow riders. The climb they were on was steep but short and the line of riders was about seven deep. So I took a chance and yelled on your lefts and attacked hard sprinting up the off camber side of the climb with other racers yelling at me saying dude, we were waiting to pass I yell back and we exchange some words. Now that I made my pass I was in the clear. Coming into the powerline climbs I take a look back and I see one of the riders I passed yelling at me saying I'm coming for you 813. I yell back if youve got it take it! I keep my head down and focus for a good stent look back again and he is gone but now I have Burt James behind me. Burt is a racer that I knew would give me trouble. Burt and I talk and decide to ride the rest the race together now we have a whole lap to go. Burt and I keep a good tempo for the first 3/4 of the lap then as we were coming to the powerline climbs again I said to Burt I did not want to have to do a sprint at the end against him. A moment later I turned up the pace just a bit then we hit the long grinding climbs. As we started going up I put my head down and gave it everything I had I was going up the climbs at about 10-11 mph. I put out this effort for about a 1/2 mile then looked over at a switch back and realised I had dropped my competition. Now I had to maintain a strong pace to the finish line. I pushed with all I had all of the way in. My wife gave me the 3rd place sign and I was happy with that.     What a battle! This stuff really makes you dig deep!  congrats to ells for a 5th place finish and to Factore for stepping up to the challenge and doing well!!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 09:05:35 AM »
It really helped getting all the support and advice from you guys.  for sure taking the motorcycle tires off before next weekend.  I was happy with a 12th place finish in my first race. (Big John from Swamp podiumed in my class)  I was more happy with beating around 40 peoples times in the time trial the day before.  I know that all this racing is going to help me in the endurance races.  My legs feel a lot fired today.  I am hoping they recover for the 6 hour event this weekend at Dauset.  I forgot how much i liked bmx haha - that was fun cruising through that part of the course.  I made all my passes there and on the long climbs in those fields. (all the road riding is paying off).

My goal is to finish top 10 overall in my class this season. 

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:20:35 PM »
Congrats to John Moore, RJ (I think the last name is White ) for Podium finishes. I think RJ took a second place in Grand Masters and he told me that he flatted while on the course. These were the only Swampers that I recognised. White wave only. Didn't stick around for the Yellow wave.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »
i hope they post the results soon - i want to see if i got any extra time trial points

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 04:23:54 PM »
Congrats to John Moore

i saw the back of John for about 200 yards and he was gone...great job John

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 04:28:56 PM »
Theres more fun to be had scrutinizing the race results than anything else. Pick out the riders that finished ahead of you and plan on how to beat them the next race.  I'm hoping to get some some time trial bonus points.   Theguy who went behind me was chasing me down but he couldn't catch me. He told me I was the reason he did as good as he did because he knew I was 10 years older than him and he wanted the Glory of lapping  me, so  he kept seeing me ahead of him  but he couldn't make the kill.  I wasriding so hard because I didn't want to be lapped.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »
He wanted to make you his b!tch! ;D

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 04:34:02 PM »
The Time Trial was a blast. About 3.5 - 4 miles long. Lots of climbing. My time was 22 minutes even. Have to wait for the  official results to see who was who  to match up the numbers with the names. For each class, 1'st place gets 5 points, 2'nd place 4 points, 3'rd place gets 3 points, 4'th place gets 2 points and everybody else gets 1 point.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »
He wanted to, now we have to wait for the times, and next race I will call him out as my b#tc%!!! if I beat his time that is.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:40:14 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 04:38:24 PM »
that time trial was crazy and the way you go back and forth through those fields..you could see people that were 1/2 mile ahead of you up to 1/2 mile behind...it was a good motivator to try and catch people you could see and to not get caught by those you see coming.

i loved the course and the competition...this is much more intense than the 13 hour thing was.  i liked the social aspect of the endurance stuff but this got my juices flowing

Advertisement: