Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Linked Events

• Alafia Trail Work Day: October 07, 2006

Author Topic: Alafia Trail Work Day Saturday October 7th 9:00 am  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Alafia Trail Work Day Saturday October 7th 9:00 am
« on: October 01, 2006, 02:42:13 PM »
Meet in the Alafia River State Park Parking lot at 8:45 am every First Saturday of the month.  9:00 am

This Saturday is the scheduled workday at Alafia. Art believes that with a strong turnout, we can complete the North Creek extension.

We need 4 people to
help with our trail improvements by resurfacing selected sections that are plagued by sand or mud. We use the park's quad pulling a trailer, and the Polaris, to reach the trails.

We need 6 people to
Help repair areas by a minor reroute. The reroute will make the trail even more fun.

We can use a few people with bikes to do trimming too.

Pick a project and join the team. We will have tools and lunch.

Please RSVP to Art (at) SWAMPclub (dot) org  by Friday afternoon.

or RSVP to trails (at) swampclub (dot) org so we can bring enough food for everyone.

14100 CR-39 Lithia, Fl 33547
Note: The address is estimated for best map results
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:13:41 PM by Forum Manager »
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Re: Alafia Trail Work Day Saturday October 7th 9:00 am
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 10:41:13 PM »
From an un-named, machete wielding, SWAMPer:

We had a great work day at Alafia today (Oct 7, 06), a great ride afterwards, and a great lunch in between.

But beware the hidden dangers at Alafia that will attack the unwary biker! The gators and snakes have not been a problem, nor have the giant voracious lizards running loose. And though many of the drops and climbs on Roller Coaster were rough and scary, they were manageable. Even the rock quarry work prison warden Wes and his henchman assistant Ken had us doing for trail work this morning wasn't as dangerous.

No, I'm talking about the picnic area where we had our trail work lunch. Beware the innocent looking picnic tables!! They may seem benign, but they are not and will bite you with their long sharp fangs the moment you aren't expecting it. And I speak from first-hand experience.

Today, as I was coming back from taking my trash to the cans, one of the tables bit me and shot a long sharp tooth through my jeans and into my left leg.
Seriously!! I lightly brushed up against it, meaning no harm, and it stuck a skewer deep into my flesh. An angry porcupine couldn't have done a better job.

With the unforgiving fragment lodged in my person, with only a small tip still protruding, I hobbled over to the blood mobile, hoping to find some brave (and cute) nurses with the right tools and medicines to remove it and treat it. But
they wouldn't touch it, and I can't blame them. So I dragged myself over to my car where I found a pair of heavy-duty pliers and pulled the shard of table wood from my throbbing leg. Yeeee-ouch!!!

After a super trip around the trails with some fellow SWAMPers, I headed home.
On the way, I stopped at my local tavern, but even the mass quantities of pain killer and disinfectant (3 ice-cold pints taken internally of course) didn't help the now searing burn I felt (well, maybe it wasn't quite that bad... yet).

When I got home, the wooden sliver... nay, small tree branch measured 3.5" - all of which was in my left calf, except the tip that was just enough to grab with the pliers. Fortunately, it appears that all of it came out, and I'll be
sure to keep a very close eye on it for infection. I just hope I can ride Boyette with y'all. But at least I know of some pubs nearby that I can apply some more medication should it continue to flare up after the ride.

;o)

;D
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Alafia Trail Work Day Saturday October 7th 9:00 am
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 01:09:13 PM »
But at least I know of some pubs nearby that I can apply some more medication should it continue to flare up after the ride.

My number One reason for riding!  ;D

Advertisement: