Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Where's the entrance to Sidewinder ?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
Where's the entrance to Sidewinder ?
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »
I was told by a very nice worker a couple weeks ago to go ride it to help break it in but I didn't see where it was. She said it was over by the doubletrack entrance to the Abyss and I know where the mower parks but I didn't see anything. Anybody know ?

Thanks
Bill

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Where's the entrance to Sidewinder ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:16:30 AM »
Sidewinder is going to be tied to Pandemonioum (aka IMA).  But the reason they don't open the last piece is so that riders don't go into it until is totally ready.  Dunno why someone told you to come ride it to help get it packed in.  But if that is the case, I am sure Garry would have told us already.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 08:08:24 AM »
I was told by a very nice worker a couple weeks ago to go ride it to help break it in but I didn't see where it was. She said it was over by the doubletrack entrance to the Abyss and I know where the mower parks but I didn't see anything. Anybody know ?

Thanks

Sidewinder has no entrance at this time because it is an unfinished trail in the progress of being completed, hopefully in time for the Fat Tire Festival.  There is nothing to ride and pack in.  It will be about a half mile or so long when done, so one could imagine how much work goes into building a half mile bench cut trail by hand.  Just look how long it takes for a section of street or sidewalk to be constructed with heavy equipment. 

If instead of people trying to pre ride a trail that is under construction they would come out and help build it, then the trail would be ready for everyone to ride, even those who are putting in the hours of hard sweat equity of building it.  Sorry if this sounds harsh, but a lot of planning, designing, and learning how to make a hopefully maintenance free trail for all to enjoy all seems a little frustrating when a few people come along looking to enjoy the fruits of the labor of those who give up their free time to make it so. 

Changes at Boyette are that we will be adding about 2.5 to 3 miles of new trail because we possibly stand to lose about that much trail in the next couple of years.  We could sure use your help keeping existing trails open, and new trails created.  Hope to see some new faces at the workdays.
:-)

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 09:17:44 AM »
I'm just repeating what a worker told me, I was told it was rideable now and it needs breaking in. On top of that you can see my other post requesting some sort of notification of workdays because I want to work. I was disappointed I didn't get a chance to come out and help build the new section two weeks ago. I'm not trying to steal the fruits of anyones labor not to mention I'm pretty sure these trails are for everyone, members and non members, workers and non workers alike. I AM a member and I want to work but there are always going to be people who are going to ride and not work and those people should be thankful that there are people willing to give up some free time to keep them riding. [Soapbox Dismount]
Bill

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
Yes, I realize someone told you it was rideable, just putting it out there that it isn't.

Also, when new trails are complete there are notices put both here and the Yahoo!Group link, not to mention FlaMTBers forum.

I have also posted in all three places, not that long ago, when the trail workdays are at the respective trail systems.  So whether a person is a member of the club or not the information is made available. 

Not trying to suggest that YOU personally, or anyone else, are trying to steal the fruits of labor - but there again, just putting it out there for all to see that help is needed to make trails happen for everyone - members and non-members of the SWAMP club alike. 

So true, with over 500 members in the club and no more than between 2 to 4 percent pitching in to build and maintain trails there will always be those who ride only and those who make it available to ride.

If 4 groups of 25 people picked a different trail system once a month for 3 to 4 hours we would be at the top of the heap for sustainable trails.  (passing the soapbox to the next person)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
Out of those 2-4% at least half of them are dependables that show up every time.  Is it really possible for someone NOT to know when trail workdays are?  Wow!!!  I can count at least 3-4 signs on every park I ride about when trail maintenance is at that park.  There are also over 3-4 places besides the many threads on this forum about it.   ???  ???  ??? 

I read in a different forum a post from someone.  He hit the nail in the head for me...  If you think the trails are not well mantained or the black diamond trails are being made easier to ride, why don't you come have fun with the volunteers that do free up their Saturday for the rest of us to enjoy.  Most of the volunteers don't even ride the trails they are asked to mantain.  So what do you expect from the trails when you may have a bunch of beginers riders volunteering their time?  Where are so called racer/ionlyridehardtrails riders who are too good to step to a work day and pick up a shovel.  There are a few that do come out but they are a rare breed. 

Sorry but though I put in my $.02 to the soapbox... NEXT?

P.S. BadAss, this is not directed at you specifically... Just letting Gary know he is not alone on how frustrating the situation can be.  We all don't know how good a thing is until it has been closed.  We can't mantain the trails we have, so STOP asking for new ones.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:39:19 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »
Out of those 2-4% at least half of them are dependables that show up every time.  Is it really possible for someone NOT to know when trail workdays are?  Wow!!!  I can count at least 3-4 signs on every park I ride about when trail maintenance is at that park.  There are also over 3-4 places besides the many threads on this forum about it.   ???  ???  ??? 

I read in a different forum a post from someone.  He hit the nail in the head for me...  If you think the trails are not well mantained or the black diamond trails are being made easier to ride, why don't you come have fun with the volunteers that do free up their Saturday for the rest of us to enjoy.  Most of the volunteers don't even ride the trails they are asked to mantain.  So what do you expect from the trails when you may have a bunch of beginers riders volunteering their time?  Where are so called racer/ionlyridehardtrails riders who are too good to step to a work day and pick up a shovel.  There are a few that do come out but they are a rare breed. 

Sorry but though I put in my $.02 to the soapbox... NEXT?

P.S. BadAss, this is not directed at you specifically... Just letting Gary know he is not alone on how frustrating the situation can be.  We all don't know how good a thing is until it has been closed.  We can't mantain the trails we have, so STOP asking for new ones.

WOW - somebody asks how and when they can work and then you go on a rant about how can somebody not know?  that is a good way to recruit workers.  and accusing people of being "too good" to pick up a shovel???? 

the work days are fun - this club is fun - riding mtbs are fun - hopefully the abrasive voice of one member wont discourage others from wanting to come join the fun.

my .02

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 12:02:58 PM »
Yes, I am puzzled that BadAss or any of you reading this post do not know when the trail work days are.  Hopefully he will find out and make his own decision to come out to help when he can.

If any of you feel guilty by my "abrassive" opinion then that is up to you.  I am not a SWAMP volunteer recuiter.  Just someone that humbly knows that I have spent my time and sweat on those trails so I can enjoy riding so much.  See you at the next work day that you can fit into your busy schedule.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »
i need to do more workdays myself - only have 1 under my belt - i just dont like to feel that i am being guilted or shamed into it.  i had fun and did it because i wanted to do my part.  i will for sure do many more workdays.  we for the most part are all adults here and come to the forum and the club for fun..not to get soap boxed or preached too about what we need to do.  If one of us are genuinely asking what we can do to help it is my opinion that we all need to give, no matter how much we think we have given it before,  the information to what people that want to help can do. 

we are not the mtbrflorida forum - this is a fun place

group hug

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 01:33:19 PM »
I should just keep my yap shut, but I have so little discipline...

If you guys think mtbflorida.net is bad, you should've been around the Ridge Riders forum back in the good ol' days. You would've been running home crying for mommy!

That forum started as a direct result of holier-than-thou attitudes and some underhanded tactics regarding racers not doing trail work from another MTB club. Don't take anything seriously on that board and you'll be fine.

I think that shaming people into doing trailwork sucks. Sure the numbers could be better, but there's at least a dozen people at every SWAMP work day every weekend of the month. Sure it could be better, but it's not too shabby IMO. If you look at the percentage of people who ride who also do trail work, it's probably about the same as any volunteer-based organization. There's a small core group who provides the resources that a much bigger group uses. That's the way it is and no amount of ranting is going to make it better.

People have lives outside MTB that nobody knows about. Maybe they work Saturdays. Maybe they have obligations with their kids on Saturdays. Maybe they work 6 days a week and Saturday is their only day off.

Education without the guilt trip is the way to go.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 02:34:15 PM »
I should just keep my yap shut, but I have so little discipline...

If you guys think mtbflorida.net is bad, you should've been around the Ridge Riders forum back in the good ol' days. You would've been running home crying for mommy!

That forum started as a direct result of holier-than-thou attitudes and some underhanded tactics regarding racers not doing trail work from another MTB club. Don't take anything seriously on that board and you'll be fine.

I think that shaming people into doing trailwork sucks. Sure the numbers could be better, but there's at least a dozen people at every SWAMP work day every weekend of the month. Sure it could be better, but it's not too shabby IMO. If you look at the percentage of people who ride who also do trail work, it's probably about the same as any volunteer-based organization. There's a small core group who provides the resources that a much bigger group uses. That's the way it is and no amount of ranting is going to make it better.

People have lives outside MTB that nobody knows about. Maybe they work Saturdays. Maybe they have obligations with their kids on Saturdays. Maybe they work 6 days a week and Saturday is their only day off.

you had me until "people have lives outside mtb" 

haha

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 02:35:01 PM »

on a serious note - Amen 2 that

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 03:19:53 PM »
People put in time on the trails that are not logged and you insiders dont always know about. Ells, Art, and myself put in four hard hours in the A.M. before we went out for a day of roofing in the sun one day last week. It was most likely not logged and you and i did not sit and sip some cool lemonaid afterward but it happened. Much like putting money in the collection plate people contribute in their own ways and I appreciate all of it. People will come out based on their own free will. Sometimes they just have to get that stoke on being a part of the birth of something people will enjoy for years to come and know that they were part of that! 8)

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 06:50:44 PM »
Yep, got plenty of hours myself that are not logged in anywhere, and I'm one of the hour keepers.  Free time is often times a luxury we look for to enjoy the things we enjoy.

Offline BadAssCorrado

• Huffy Rider
    • Fixx Tuning
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
I also know what it's like to run a club that is totally volunteer and ours is free to all. Check out www.vwfixx.com. We have chapters all over the country and ours here in Tampa is the largest. I can completely agree with the fact that there will always be a core group that does the hard work while the majority will reap the benefits and I'm perfectly ok with that. We all share the same passion and I know that if something was in "desperate" need I could count on most of our members. I know you may not have intended to direct your comments at me specifically but even if they weren't I still don't think guilting people to work is the right way to go.

Oh and I never asked when the workdays are, I was asking if there could be email reminders about workdays, trail buildings, and special events. :)
Bill

Advertisement: