Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: lighting systems  (Read 2307 times)

Offline singletrackmind

• First Bike
lighting systems
« on: September 18, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »
Looking at getting the Niterider MiNewt Dual beam system...wandering if anyone has or currently is using one, and some opinions or feedback...

Thanks guys
Green Cannondale Prophet.......Now minus the LEFTY....Gone! Soon to be Santa Cruz Blur LT

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: lighting systems
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:45:55 PM »
I have only used cheaper version of LED lights and none were good enough to ride at a decent pace at night.  Only good enough to walk out of a trail in emergencies.  The MinNewt Dual light systems seems to have stronger LED's so it might work.  On the recent Performance catalog I see it at $229.99 for it.  However, I see the NR Enduro HID (which is what I have) at only $299.  HID seems to be the way to go.  LightNMotions seem better and you find them everywhere but they are at least $100 more then the HID NR Enduro.  HID just give you that "sun light" kind of light that allows you to ride at faster pace then LED's.  At least the LED's I seen.

Now, there is new version of LED's comming out.  They are called the TriNewt LED's at 500 lumens and run time of 7 hours.  That sounds pretty good and might be better then HID.  Not to mention longer running time. But they start at $399 and $499 for the wireless remote version.  Also the CygoLite Tridenx LED Li-Ion Headlight which is marketed as having the same light output of an HID.  But it is $349.   Hmmm....  I think I'll the HID NR Enduro for now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:50:30 PM by MrSandPine »

Offline singletrackmind

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 10:15:24 PM »
I appreciate the input....thanks
Green Cannondale Prophet.......Now minus the LEFTY....Gone! Soon to be Santa Cruz Blur LT

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:22:12 PM »
Mr. Wikipedia! Impressive. Sandpine, you should set up a buyers service! ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 10:54:09 PM »
I have 2 sets of lights that clip onto your hat visor that I got at Wal-Mart. They are called Cats Eyes and they have 3 LED's in each one. With the 6 of them I can see pretty good. Not the best of course but for $10. they work pretty well.
Mike Cole

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 07:26:07 AM »
 ;D  I'm beginning to think you are a minimalist!!   ;D 
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 07:48:20 AM »
I've never used the one you are asking about. I have a Light and Motion HID, and that thing is incredible. Nothing like running the long downhills up in the mountains at 30mph in the middle of the night! :D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline singletrackmind

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 08:28:19 AM »
so with a good HID light on the bar, is it necessary to be redundant and have a helmet light too?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 08:45:03 AM »
If you can only afford one light, buy the helmet mount one.  If you looking at the NR HID Enduro, it only comes with the helmet mount.  You can buy the bar mount kit for $30.  When you are making turns you always look left or right and the light points to where you looking at going.  If is on the handle bar, you will not be able to see into the turns.

The LightNMotions do have a slightly white/bluish light then the NR's.  The battery weights less too.  NR's last as long as the LNM's and charge in about the same time.  Just slightly heavier but $100+ less.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:39:10 AM »
If is on the handle bar, you will not be able to see into the turns.

...or down the steep drops. :o

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »
Yeah I am a minimalist/cheapo!!      ;D
Mike Cole

Advertisement: