Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Newb Advice - New bike, or upgrade?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline ag04

• First Bike
Newb Advice - New bike, or upgrade?
« on: September 21, 2007, 01:29:29 AM »
Hey guys, my name is Adam, and I'm new.  Been road cycling for like 7 months now, and just got bit by the mtb bug as well.  I'm on the USF cycling team, I just want something to do on the off practice days.  I have a trek 4100 that I picked up, but it's not really cutting it, since the non-adjustable crappy fork bottoms out something fierce, even at the flatwoods ride on tuesday.  Looks like some of the bigger air at Alafia would be a no-go on it. 

I want a bike that can do it all, I don't mind hard tails, and like upgradability.

So here's my dilemma: Should I upgrade this bike, or go with a new one? 

My dad gave me his old (7-8yrs) Fisher Montare, so it is a bit dated, but it's a nice bike, just needs a new fork.  I don't have too much money (~400-500)  and was looking at a Giant Boulder as my first starter bike.  It was either that, or upgrading the fisher (the frame feels better, plus it's got better components, deore lx, stx rc brakes, deore wheelset)  but it is a grip-shift.  I was thinking of a fork with between 100-130mm travel adjustable to do xc and take bigger stuff when I want to, and maybe upgrading to trigger shifters instead of the grip shift.

Or! I could afford a decent fully frame w/rear shock and start building a sweet bike.  Might take two-three months, but would be worth it. 

Anyone got any advice on this? or perhaps a bike they would like to sell?  I need my fix!

Adam

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Newb Advice - New bike, or upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:57:59 AM »
IME you can buy a new bike for what a decent fork costs. Nothing wrong with riding a hardtail, plus you can get a better hardtail for cheaper. I would buy the best bike you can afford, as it is cheaper than trying to upgrade one part at a time. But as long as you get a real good frame, you can slowly upgrade if that is the route you wish to go. I've done it that way a few times and at the end I spent more money, but I did it over a longer period of time.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

scooter

Re: Newb Advice - New bike, or upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:53:25 AM »
Having just converted from a hardtail to full suspension I can see the benefits of each. The hardtail should be lighter and be more efficient for hauling tail on a loop such as what you experienced Tuesday night. If you do go that route I would suggest you seek out a steel frame as they are much more compliant than a aluminum frame. Having said all that with current FS technology there is not much waste in these new setups and that extra bit of travel in back takes the edge off of some of those little obstacles we encounter. I see great riders out at Alafia with hardtails as well as single speeds riding stuff that stumps me, but the difference is they are great riders. A full suspension bike helps make up for inexperience(voice of experience)and hopefully flaten out the learning curve. It allows you to miss the line to some degree while still maintaning stable footing. There are some deals to be had on FS bikes, check craigs list as well as this forum. I also know a couple who had a bad experience at flatwoods(run in with a roadie on the paved trail, the roadie lost) and are now terror striken and are selling there 2003 and 2006 Specialized FS bikes. Great to ride with you the other night. Scott.

Advertisement: