Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 12 hours of Dauset  (Read 7043 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
12 hours of Dauset
« on: September 23, 2007, 08:11:31 PM »
so as Jimbo and I are driving up to Jackson GA through all the rain along the way started having me second guess my skinny ez rollin no tread race tires.  This fear was confirmed when Beercan hooks up with us to convoy to the Race and he says"you did bring some dirt tires didnt you?"  Of course I didn't.  Now hours into the drive, I have more than likely driven Jimbo crazy with all of my strategy talk haha.  We get to the Hotel and unload and get to bed 1:45am.   BZZZZZZ WTF?? it is my phone being texted at 6:30am - Sandpine looking to hookup for breakfast.  So we meet Sandpine and Beercan at the Huddle House for a pre-race feeding.  Beercan suggest 4 eggs?? I blindy order them and in the back of my mind wonder if he is trying to give me to Briskie (Briskie is an uncontrollable butt mud squirting during the race)  Finally we get to the course signed up and ready to go.  The course is an 11 mile course w/ 2 mile parade lap and 1/4 mile run uphill in gravel.  We get the bikes and get through the parade lap and into the single track.  i find myself directly behind sandpine and treadlight and 10 riders or so behind jimbo.  beercan has already laid the hammer down and is out of sight.  i am using this first lap as a bit of a see if these slick tires hold up in less than perfect conditions.  I am nervous especially after the boys got a pool going about which lap will my tires cause me to crash.  I am gaining confedence by the turn and feeling great.  (those eggs must be working and i dont feel like it is gonna give me a Briskie.  we get to 2 track and treadlight pulls over for a "natural stop"  we start getting to a section where there are more climbs and I am confident in my tires so i go around sandpine who got caught behind a rider on a climb that didnt make it and stopped him.  As we weave back and forth inthe trails i see Jimbo 1 turn ahead of me and shout words of encouragement to him through the woods.  The road riding is really starting to pay off.  I am climbing strong.  Jimbo must be feeling stronger cause he leaves me in his dust.  So i yell back to Sandpine and he isnt there.   So I go ahead and finish out the first lap and feeling better and better about the tire selection.  stop and refill liquid before lap two and eat 1/2 a banana.  Still no sign of sandpine or treadlight.  I am feeling good and want to go ahead and push it pretty hard for lap two (i am looking at this as more of a training ride for the xc season than an endurance race...i will leave the endurance races for the masochists)  I get to a wet clay section about 7 miles into lap 2 and wet clay+no tread+root=FACTORe goes down hard.  i got back up and hit some more of the wet clay and slid out again.  (this section get worse as the day went on while the rest of the course dried out nicely)  I finished the lap a little slower as i was starting to get a claf cramp. I got back to the pit and sat down to evaluate the situation.   after a bit sandpine and treadlight came along and they were looking pretty good.  sandpine is in a hurry to get back out there to turn some more laps.  I had a goal of 3 laps so I had already pretty much set out what I wanted to do...(ride strong for 20 miles and then get some LSD (long slow distance)  so I take off with treadlight - he gets tires of my LSD pace and takes off.  I dont see anyobdy the rest of the time - i cruise the last 20 miles and finally get to get off the bike.  we had front row seats to 12 hour show and got to watch how the big boys do it.  wow - they put on quite the show.  much props to Eddie O and Harvey for showing us how it is done.

congrats to:

Beercan - he laid it down and also won the pool on which lap i would wreck

Jimbo - he also laid it down and put the smack down on the rest of us - he doesnt even ride a roadbike and only has like 900 miles on bikejournal

Marcel - 5 laps is great (i think you took a wrong turn so you could log more miles...haha) thanks for letting us share your pit

Treadlight - thanks for at least trying to get me to go faster on those last laps ....mmm your beer was good...also hope the dangles recover..mine where a bit better today...haha

it was a good training and introduction to the new tread (or lack there of) before the race next week..Beercan and Bob are gonna stack the clyde class...Reddick will be rockin

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: 12 hours of Dauset
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 08:38:19 PM »
Great description of the happenings of the day!!  That race was a freakin blast!  Everybody did a great job and had fun doing it.  Thanks to Sandpine for pushing me to do that 5th lap.  I really enjoyed drinking Treadlight's beer after the race. ;D  Now I have more beer than I know what do with for a while!
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:54:54 PM »
Sorry to left you guys early I had to take the kids to Fuddruckers http://www.fuddruckers.com/ for a tasty lunch/dinner and wife to go shopping at the outlet stores.
The race was awesome I love those downhill and well packed single track with bumps where you can catch air. I meet my goal and happy to see everybody reached theirs too. Thanks to Marcel for sharing with his tent and Sean for the chair. Funny I had to pee at least once per lap. But I had a great time with you guys and the trail was great.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
I don't mind going up there again in the winter season for a good cold ride.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »

after the xc race season - i wouldnt mind another weekend trip there - maybe we can get one together

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:19:13 PM »

after the xc race season - i wouldnt mind another weekend trip there - maybe we can get one together

That sounds like good fun.  I think my favorite place to ride has been bumped to second because to this weekend. 

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 10:07:55 PM »
Ok, gotta add to FACTORe's description.

I started the day pretty roughly because I was having tube issues before the race even started.  The new tube explodes as I was trying to get the bead to seat.  Right after that everybody chimed in to tell me to get Stan's.  Might be looking into that soon.  By the time I get everything worked out with the tire, the race is about to begin.  We do the run and then the parade lap.  Beercan faids off in the distance.  I pass Sandpine and Treadlight and continue on my own.  I hear FACTORe yell at me further into the first lap.  That would be the last time I would see anybody from our group until lap 4.  Gotta tell you that this trail is great.  The sustained climbs and downhills are a thrill and a half.  I just kept grinding it out at my own pace through laps 2 and 3.  At the end of 3 I stop at our pit (thanks Sandpine for letting us squat under your canopy) to refill and grab a bite to eat (thanks for the Uncrustable Beercan).  I was feeling a little beat after lap 3.  Lap 4 was making me think of hanging it up when it was over.  Then Sandpine caught up with me when I was trying to shake out a few leg cramps.  I jumped up and kept going.  Sandpine is urging me on to do a 5th lap.  "A 5th lap!  Are you crazy!", I yell back.  I've been cramping like crazy this whole 4th lap.  We get back to the transition area and check in.  Sandpine is still working on me to do the 5th.  I cave and we head back out together.  I guess that small breather in the pits is all I needed because my 5th lap was pretty strong.  Especially the last mile or so.  I knew I was getting close to the end and the adrenaline really started to pump.  I hit the last turn right in front of our pit and I saw the guys cheering me on.  That pumped me up even more and I humped it as hard as I could to the finish line.  Thanks to the guys for making this race an absolute blast!   

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 11:13:26 PM »
It was a great one for sure.  Front row 50 yard line seats over a few cold ones with some good friends to enjoy the show.

Eddie and Harvey put on a good one.  They were within 5-8 minutes the whole time.  Harvey came within 1 minute on lap 8 or 9.  Eddie's faster pits paid off for sure.  Congratulations to both.

Beercan,
You did kick our ass for sure.  Next time don't hold out.  That 6th lap would have been sweet and you would've lapped me.  I'll try to upgrade my beer selection soon.  Oh thanks for not giving me the Briskie!

Jim,
Man, you are riding very strong.  I used you to keep me me going since I was hurting bad.  I didn't want to stop until I would see you.  It fealt good as I tried to sneak by you on that 4th lap since I had been looking for you all day.  One more sip of that red gatoraid of yours and you would not had seen me go by.  LOL...My glory only last for 10 sec when you turn on the afterburner and left me again.  Thanks for waiting on me to start the 5th lap.  I glad you decided to do it one more time.  I crawled it for sure.

Treadlight,
You sure have a long name.  You must've taken 10 minutes to write you name on the sand of that fireroad 10 minutes into the start of lap 1.  Geeez.. go easy on the gatoraid!  I got behind you when I took a wrong turn and lost 10 minutes in a dead end.  Thanks for pulling me that second lap.  Every chance you saw me you called me out and it helped to keep going.  I tried to return the favor on lap 3 but you must've taken longer on that pit.

FACTORe,
You must've found that "fast" gear to go with that "slow" gear you were on when the girl racer asked you.  She must've been hot since you flew by me after her on that first lap.  Did you shave Jim's legs?  Sorry but Beercan and I just couldn't accept your offer.  Oh yes, start carrying wipies for next time Beercan tried to give you the Brikie again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:21:45 PM by MrSandPine »

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 12:48:56 AM »
This was a great race and one I plan on doing again next year.  Harvey and Eddie were just amazing to watch, turning such quick lap times in the dark after riding all day was inspiring.  Great job to all the swampers.

I gained a lot of needed experience in this race.  In contrast to the sm100, which  just felt I had to survive, I wanted to be a little more competitive here.  I tried to start strong but got mired in a line of slow riders that refused to yield.  Eventually I started vocalizing my displeasure, in a nice way, and a group of us were able to pass.    My second lap was much better I still had a lot of traffic to deal with but it was a little easier to pick off the slower riders.  I felt strong, stopped at the pit for some food and a bottle change and rode out for lap 3.  On this lap I realized I was making a crucial error in the way I was running my race.  I would tend to link up with riders that were going "about" my speed and kind of shadow them for a while.  I knew I was slightly faster then they were but for some reason I was content to ride behind them.  Usually I would pass them on a climb (which felt good) and continue on, but I am sure this cost me some positions on the course.  Lap 4 started with another pit and then I set out.  Determined not to "fall in" behind other riders like I did in the previous laps I set out.  I was riding strong and I felt good.  I was passing people and was on pace for my fastest lap yet when disaster struck.  I was bombing down one of the faster sections when at the bottom, and going quite fast, I crashed because of some loose soil.  I had the wind knocked out of me and felt stunned for a few minutes.  My left leg was hurting especially in the knee / shin area.  After a few minutes (8 -9 ?) I collected my self and started to finish my lap.  Soon after this Harvey came by and offered some words of encouragement as he speed by.  Sorry I did not answer Harvey I was momentarily lost in my pain  :-[ .  Got back to the pits and Factore was there.  I can't really remember what we talked about except I got the impression everyone was close behind me (NOT  :D ) and quickly swallowing a BC powder and some food I took off.  Lap 5 was brutal for me.  My knee was singing and it hurt to breathe.  I struggled through the lap and started to feel a little better about half way through.  Morrison was in there some where and he said hello as I passed. Namrita passed me with about 3 miles to go so I grabbed her wheel and followed her out.  I was in time for a 6th lap but decided that my race was over.  Good thing, my knee was the size of a watermelon this morning.  Also when I cleaned up that night I found quite a few cuts and scrapes on my leg from the crash.  So I was sitting in the pits waiting for the other swampers to come in and talking with the neighbors.  It was over an hour until Morrison came in and much longer for you others (dig dig)  ;D .  So I beat you guys in the race and I beat you to the cooler LOL.  Joking aside I felt everyone did great and I look forward to doing more of these with you guys.

The course was great.  It had a nice mixture of climbs and downhills.  The trails were well groomed and wide enough for passing in most places.  There was a root climb that was somewhat tricky due to the fact that it was directly after a large puddle.  This made for a wet rear tire that wanted to go sideways instead of forward every time I attempted it.  There was also a section, at about mile 7 - 9,  that was very muddy and damp.  It gave me more "oh *" moments than I care to remember.  I never went down in this section but it made for some slower going.  Laps ended with a very nice flowing fast section that was a lot of fun, then onto the gravel road which apparently I was not riding fast enough because I did not fall on it.  This section is right where Marcel's tent was and it made for some nice spectating later in the race.  Also for the record I cannot give anyone a "Briskie", your on your own for that one.  Sorry Bob  :P

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:52:55 AM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 06:48:39 AM »
Congrats!!! Good reading about it.   Breakfast at Huddle House, sort of like a Waffle House? Yeah, you have to be careful  using that as pre-race fuel!   ;D  A liitle egg with that grease?  Mix in some pre-race jitters and anything or is it everything goes.  Sounds like a great time all in all, maybe  Beercan was laying down some race insurance, getting you guys all greased up!  Its competitive out there.    ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 10:56:54 AM »
Great race everybody! Sounds like you all left it all out there and met your goals in the process.

My goal was to win, but a bent chain in lap 2 and the resulting stops to figure it out, dealing with a skipping chain the rest of the lap and bike change put me into chase mode and I never could reel him in.

Marcel, thanks for the ice hookup! I owe you a few bucks the next time we see each other. All of you were priceless in keeping my motivation up the second half of the race. I was about ready to throw in the towel and start drinking beer until I started getting updates as to how close I was to Eddie.

Now, back into the fog that is my head today...

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »
results are posted

FACTORe laps:

72.88     81.42     96.35     132.81     

Treadlight:

80.41     74.62     93.92     90.83     

Sandpine

79.40     73.06     76.44     82.59     102.99

Jimbo:

69.43     68.67     89.27     82.33     77.56

Beercan:

64.80     58.55     60.47     75.83     67.27

Harvey:

53.13     50.97     50.49     50.40     50.86     54.21     53.92     54.23     53.87     58.03     55.84     58.25     55.18

Eddie O:

53.10     46.83     48.58     51.33     52.47     54.05     53.39     56.31     53.11     55.40     53.85     58.05     58.15     

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 01:03:24 PM »
...I owe you a few bucks the next time we see each other.
No worries, is all good.   ;) 8) 8)  Getting 1-1 race preparation tips Fri night over a beer was payment enough.  Watching your in between pits actions was a learning experience for us all. 

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »
Hmm, according to my body fluid balance consumption/waste disposal calculation ::) ::) ::). I would have on top of you four (that of course excluding Harvey) and shave at least an hour of my total time could have walk away with the first place. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 01:19:40 PM »
This pics are from someone ("Ga_Kush") riding in the race...

All Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deanthornton/sets/72157602121593628/with/1427521163/

Pre-Start Video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6471729399196330940

Sean/Jim,
You two are right behind this guy.  You guys look nervous.   :D :D Those were two long minutes we waited there.

Lamans Start Video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5645290409398648470

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 01:23:43 PM by MrSandPine »

Advertisement: