Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Linked Events

• Technical Skills Class: November 17, 2007

Author Topic: Technical Skills classes 10/20/07 and 11/17/07  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Technical Skills classes 10/20/07 and 11/17/07
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:50:24 PM »
To meet the demand I've had for these classes over the summer months, I've scheduled two classes for the fall. Both classes will be at Alafia starting at 9AM. Read below for a class description. If you're interested, reply here or contact me via private message on this board.

Topics include proper bike fit, balance, weight distribution, gearing, cadence and braking, and how they are applied to technical riding. During the ride you will learn to apply these concepts on technical trails that include steep climbs and downhills, rocks, roots and tight turns. Many trails will have one or all of these elements in rapid succession. The ride portion of the class will be held on the more difficult sections of the Bridges, Rock Garden and Rollercoaster trails at Alafia. Time permitting, those who want to experience Moonscape will have the opportunity to do so at the end of the class.

This course is targeted at the intermediate mountain biker. The ideal candidate has a good knowledge of shifting and braking techniques, and proper body position during climbs and descents. You can handle sand, mud, roots, rocks, climbs and downhills, but have trouble when faced with many of these obstacles thrown into one section.

In terms of a trail, you can confidently ride the intermediate trails at Alafia, such as Rock Garden and Bridges (the easier parts) and North Creek. You can even ride most of Rollercoaster. You have problems with Moonscape, and Gatorback is completely out of the question.

If not at this minimum level, you are a candidate for the Introduction to Mountain Biking Class taught on the first Sunday of each month. To ensure you are at the minimum level to benefit from the class, we will ride an intermediate section of Bridges at the start of the class. If you have problems with this section, I'll refund your money and ask that you not continue with the class. I do this for two reasons: 1) So you don't get hurt riding trails that are way over your ability level, and 2) to ensure a quality learning environment for everybody in the class.

The class costs $10. We need 6 people to hold a class, with a maximum of 10 people. Bring bug spray, your bike and gear, and water and food sufficient for 3 hours on the trail.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 12:42:46 AM by Forum Manager »

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Technical Skills classes 10/20/07 and 11/17/07
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »
The 10/20 class is now full, but I still have plenty of spots available for the 11/17 class.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »
You should already heve me down for the 11/17 class?

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »
You should already heve me down for the 11/17 class?

Yessir. You're #1 on the list!

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »
Due to cancellations, I have a couple of openings for both dates. Email harvey DOT minton AT gmail DOT com if you're interested.

Advertisement: