Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 11.7  (Read 2676 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:10:40 PM »
so freakishly I enter the ride last night at HITF trying to better my 11.7 mph ave time for the main loop.  Confident with new tires and semi rested from the endourance ride at dauset, I meet up with Benjibbad who is going to help pace me to that allusive, anything but 11.7.  Here is a little history on the 11.7...i have cranked hard like i was being chased by monsters and I cruise through easy runs with no effort but the end result is always spooky...11.7.  for whatever reason that is the ave i cant seem to get past, no matter what the effort.  So he informs me that instead of the main trail, we are going to do palmetto, heartbreak ridge (that before this ride I had never cleaned in my first three attempts) and some other non main trail.  So this is going to be a 15 miler rather than the "regular" 12-13 miles or so with a bit more challenging trails.  So after doing the unfamiliar trails and being shown the proper line through heartbreak Ridge, we hit the main trail.  Pur ave speed is only 10.3 mph..."uh oh, i thought.  We are finally going to break the 11.7 curse, but th wrong direction."  We start to hammer it out a bit and are making great time and then we cross over the road....mud city.  We have to creep through some deep sections in the mud and tip toe around the wet rooty sections.  Still we are peddling hard.  We finally get to the long straight that panther is off of and I go big ring and basically sprint that mile straight away stretch.  we then go back into the single track and are making great time...i then sprint up the levy and go big ring and hammer with all I have to get back to the trail head....just to find out...we increased from the 10.3 mph..Benjibbad reluctently says "unbeleivable....11.7"

I will in fact one day beat that ave speed......one day...

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
Re: 11.7
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:08:27 PM »
don't use your big ring.. you'll break it.. seriously I used to only ride at flatwoods in the big ring and I would ride in the mid 12's or something...  but since i started riding on the road i spin more and have more power, acceleration, and control in the middle ring. dont get me wrong there are spots out there MADE for the BIG ring and I take advantage of those spots.... but i'd try that jonathan..

i'll ride out there with ya one day if you want a pace to break it...  i guarantee results..  probably around 12.3 or so by the time were done..  i know you could do it...

-bob :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:19:28 PM »
don't use your big ring.. you'll break it.. seriously I used to only ride at flatwoods in the big ring and I would ride in the mid 12's or something...  but since i started riding on the road i spin more and have more power, acceleration, and control in the middle ring. dont get me wrong there are spots out there MADE for the BIG ring and I take advantage of those spots.... but i'd try that jonathan..

i'll ride out there with ya one day if you want a pace to break it...  i guarantee results..  probably around 12.3 or so by the time were done..  i know you could do it...

deal

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »
sounds good, Can I join?
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 10:14:17 PM »
all good with me

Offline egmuni

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:35:23 AM »
LOL  ;D  That's funny...you're cursed, man! ;D  If you ride the loop clockwise...it adds at least 2mph more on your avgerage. ;D :D ;)
Rick

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 08:43:03 AM »
LOL  ;D  That's funny...you're cursed, man! ;D  If you ride the loop clockwise...it adds at least 2mph more on your avgerage. ;D :D ;)

i think i am going to go purposely ride it slower so that I can break the curse and then i can go beat the 11.7

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »

deal

when daddy?? it'd be nice to get out sometime.. working alot lately... 
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:09:43 PM »

i am racing this weekend then i am not racing again for 3 weeks so sometime in that period would be perfect

deal

when daddy?? it'd be nice to get out sometime.. working alot lately... 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 08:17:46 PM »
I would be interested in getting in on this!!!! ;)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 06:26:02 AM »
Tuesday nite  Hole in the Fence. 12 mph avg. or bust!

Tip:  If you are on your bike, pedal fast. What I mean is, there are areas where you might be slowing down as you approach trail heads, the water cooler, open road sections... don't use these areas as a chance to recover or coast, keep riding hard and use your breaks if you want to come to a stop. It could make a big difference in average speed.
" Not this time, Lance"

scooter

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »
This sounds like fun! HAMMER TIME BABY ;D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer